Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Steve Jobs at Paris

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, given that we're waiting to hear about the 15" Powerbook and possible iMac upgrades, I'm sure knowing Jobs will be giving the keynote is only going to fan the flames of rumor even higher.

Is the Keynote on a Tuesday? ;)

D

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Dahl
Something big must be coming then.

Oh boy....

:) Not necessarily. Jobs gave last year's Paris keynote as well

arn

Comment

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
hmm...if steve jobs is venturing across the ocean to give the keynote this would certainly lead me to believe that something big will be coming. it might be safe to say that we can expect our powerbooks at this time after months of waiting.

Comment

Bolt

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2002
Chicago
Well, I hope that the Keynote will be broadcasted to the Apple Stores .... I might have to go check it out :)

Comment

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Maybe not "G5" big, but still. :)
If we get iMac's and 15" powerbooks upgrades, the future will look bright(er).
I have a friend, who dying to get a 15" powerbook, but I keep saying " wait just a little bit longer, just a little bit longer".

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Don't get too excited

Steve gave last years' software-only Paris keynote. This is just reaching out to European customers.

An announcement of a future date for a Euro iTunes store might be possible. G5 demos are a given. Maybe iMac updates if they don't happen sooner.

But the MOST expected news, faster PowerBook G4s, probably won't wait one week longer that Apple is forced by Moto to wait. They are still very possible before Paris.

G5 PowerBooks are not possible this soon. Apple has officially said so. The G5 is too hot and draws too much power. Jan-Feb 2003 would be the ABSOLUTE earliest for G5 'Books, if IBM can get the chips down to 90nm by then.

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
Time?

On the website it shows that the keynote is to be held on September 16th at 10am. I'm assuming this means 10am in Paris which would mean it will be at 4am Eastern Time. So I doubt any Apple Stores will be carrying it at that hour at least. :D

Comment

areyouwishing

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Utah
What I want to see... in order.

1. New Powerbooks
2. Panther Shipping
3. iPod Perphs (recording)
4. Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse
5. iTunes Music Store in Euro and for windows
6. Studio MX 2004 Previewed
7. InDesign 3.0 PS 8.0 Ill 11.0 Previewed

*edit: Forgot about the adobe prods

Comment

pilotgi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
G5 PowerBooks are not possible this soon.
Yes they are. IBM is already making the chips. If Apple was able to come up with a MB and chipset for the PowerMacs, I don't see why they couldn't do the same for the PowerBook.
Apple has officially said so.
What they said was not to expect to see G5s in laptops in the near future. That could mean anything. The Paris expo will be 3 months after WWDC.
The G5 is too hot and draws too much power.
No it doesn't. At 1.2 Ghz it dissipates heat at 19W. That's acceptable for a laptop.

Comment

pilotgi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
I think the likely possibilities are:

Panther shipping

New displays

PowerBook updates

iMac updates

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by pilotgi
Yes they are. IBM is already making the chips. If Apple was able to come up with a MB and chipset for the PowerMacs, I don't see why they couldn't do the same for the PowerBook.
What they said was not to expect to see G5s in laptops in the near future. That could mean anything. The Paris expo will be 3 months after WWDC.

No it doesn't. At 1.2 Ghz it dissipates heat at 19W. That's acceptable for a laptop.

Thank you for clearing that up. It is funny actually; people just casually make claims like "the G5 is too hot!" "it needs to get down to 90nm first!" etc. All of these things are easily disproved.

I think we are looking at Euro iTMS info, iMac updates, Bluetooth mouse/keyboard, and Panther about to go GM. PowerBook updates prior to the the expo.

My 2 cents. :)

Comment

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Re: Don't get too excited

Originally posted by nagromme
G5 PowerBooks are not possible this soon. Apple has officially said so.

No, what they said was:
The G5 was "not going in PowerBook anytime soon". That was back in June. Please define "anytime soon." That could mean, the summer or whatever they want. It is vague enough to mean anything. And I *think* that was a good move. Unlike them saying "ITMS for Windows by the end of the year." That was silly because it encouraged everyone to try to beat them to the bandwagon.

Originally posted by nagromme
The G5 is too hot and draws too much power.

This is incorrect. Please see the thread in the PB 15 discussion showing the power dissipation of the G5 at various clock rates. Plus the power management features of the G5 etc.

It is an urban legend that keeps getting repeated without any facts/links to back it up.

Comment

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Apple Expo Paris

If PowerBooks ship tomorrow, then I expect to see stats on how many new powerbooks were sold in the first week alone.

Else, I expect new powerbooks to at least be announced if not shipping at AppleExpo Paris.

I also expect announcements of revs to iBooks, iMacs, possibly eMacs, not necessarily shipping. I also expect announcement of new displays. I expect the announcement of the exact ship date of Panther. I don't expect it to ship with AppleExpo.

I also expect the announcement of the mystery new product, which I hope to be iWorks.

I also expect announcement on the new Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

I don't expect a lot of things to be shipping as of the expo, though I think Powerbooks may come before, or ship at.

Apple will likely release a mystery product on the Expo date, that will ship then too.

Jaedreth

Comment

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Re: Re: Don't get too excited

Here is my quick overview (from that other discussion) so it is easy to find. I don't think it will happen (I'd love it to), but from my reading, the problem is not that the G5 runs to hot, doesn't have any power management etc. It is time to put that rumor to rest unless it can be backed up with facts:

Summary: the 970 has got doze/nap/sleep mode, which were on previous PowerPCs. It can turn off some parts of the processor when things are quiet--under OS control. For thermal management, it has a diode on chip for monitoring temperature with leads that go off chip allowing external control.

I keep seeing things like "The G5 needs 8 fans to keep it cool." But the point of the 8 fans was to use more at a lower speeds to decrease the sound, not because 1 fan couldn't handle it. Plus the clock-rates involved are high. Likewise, as was quoted here again, since the G5 doesn't need a L3 cache, the power usage could be *less* than for a PB G4 at, say, 1.2Ghz.

Although I'd *love* to see it happen soon, but am skeptical that it will. I think the things like the "needs 8 fans" become conventional wisdom without facts to back them up.

(G5:
http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/...7256C5200611780

7457:
http://e-www.motorola.com/files/32b...t/MPC7457EC.pdf

G5 power management:
http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/03q2...nterview-2.html
)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.