Steve Jobs on Apple, iPods, Lifestyle Brand

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Guardian Unlimited provides an interview with Steve Jobs during the Apple Expo in Paris. The interview offers little new information but does provide some insight into Steve Jobs and Apple.

Of most interest is the suggestion of new products in the pipe, while we are currently in a lull:

Apart from nano - which, as a replacement for the best-selling iPod mini, is a major move for the company - Apple's cupboard is fairly bare. It is a low point in the product cycle, with much of the behind-the-scenes work focusing on the Intel-based computers due next summer. But new iPods are on the way, and Jobs promises "a lot of new things in the pipeline".
Intel-based Macs are first expected in 2006, though there have been some persistent rumors that Dual Core PowerPC based PowerMacs are in the works.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
stoid said:
When he says 'new things' does he mean completely new products, or expanding ecsiting products with increased funcionality?
That is what I am wondering about too.

sky131

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003
Asteroid

What ever happened to Asteroid? I just got an M-Audio FireWire 410 audio interface because I could not hold out any longer...

I know Steve has said no video iPod or media hub device, but I know I would be a first adopter on either of those technologies from Apple. In fact, I have held on on buying a PSP because all I would really use it for is playing back videos and using the web browser (meaning - to look cool).

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Macaddicttt said:
You know, no matter what's going on, I'm sure Steve will always say that there are new, exciting things in the pipeline...
Yeah, that's kind of a given - I think he's pretty much obligated to say that. ;)

On the one hand though, it's good to hear that so much internal effort and focus is being put on the Intel transition - it is a very key change for Apple, one that could make them or break them, so I'm glad they're taking it as seriously as they should be. :cool:

And we all know video iPods are just a matter of time, so I'm sure that's what's "in the pipeline". ;)

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
Well, **** your **** iPods up your ****, Steve! How about new Powerbooks, huh? You'll never get 2000 of my precious bucks for your state-of-the-art-in-2003-boilingplates.

commandZ

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2003
Dual Core PowerPC based PowerMacs

persistent rumors[/url] that Dual Core PowerPC based PowerMacs are in the works.[/QUOTE]

I must say, I'm pessimistic about Dual Core PowerPC based PowerMacs, for a number of reasons.

For one, Apple’s attention is on Intel based Macs.

But most of all, I think a Dual Dual Core PowerPC would outperform an Intel machine! Any thoughts?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
commandZ said:
persistent rumors that Dual Core PowerPC based PowerMacs are in the works.
I must say, I'm pessimistic about Dual Core PowerPC based PowerMacs, for a number of reasons.

But most of all, I think a Dual Dual Core PowerPC would outperform an Intel machine! Any thoughts?
Well, if you consider the timeframe, it won't matter. If dual powerpc PowerMacs come out in late 2005 and intel-based powermacs don't come until early 2007. I think it'll make sense.

arn

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
There *must* still be one more PPC based update for the PB's - especially as he said that the Intel roll-out was on course to start mid-2006 - around 16months since the last PB update.

Mind you I'm still chuffed about him saying new iPods are on the way - they should be here before xmas! I'll be selling my 60GB now and banking the money until that release.....

But still - c'mon Steve! One more PPC PB update!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
commandZ said:
persistent rumors[/url] that Dual Core PowerPC based PowerMacs are in the works.

Perhaps currently outperform, but not in the future, so why would this be a bad thing? I don't see Apple releasing an Intel-based PowerMac until 2007, when the Conroe/Woodcrest chipsets are available. So, to get us by, a dual-core 970 system would be ideal. Apple could run with that for the next 14-18 months, throwing in a speed boost in mid-2006 along with other marginal upgrades, and then hit us with the new Intel machines, which at that point in time will most likely be superior to the dual-core PPC systems.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
"New products in the pipeline". Yep. There always are, but just like the Pentium 4 pipeline, Apple's pipeline seems to be really, really long, and if there is an error in the pipeline, the whole pipeline must be flushed out and then restarted.

In English: I have a feeling we won't see very many of these products anytime soon. He's made these comments before.

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
Doesn't he always say 'exciting things to come' or some such marketing pap everytime he gets an audience? MacIntel stuff drip fed to us over 2006-7 at inflated prices is all we have to look forward to. Yeah I'm in a grump-pumpy mood after spending 2 hours on the M4 in queues but I'm just saying it like its going to be.

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
~Shard~ said:
Perhaps currently outperform, but not in the future, so why would this be a bad thing? I don't see Apple releasing an Intel-based PowerMac until 2007, when the Conroe/Woodcrest chipsets are available. So, to get us by, a dual-core 970 system would be ideal. Apple could run with that for the next 14-18 months, throwing in a speed boost in mid-2006 along with other marginal upgrades, and then hit us with the new Intel machines, which at that point in time will most likely be superior to the dual-core PPC systems.
Yes, and I think for Apple to wait until mid 2006 for upgrades would kill them.
We Mac users are devoted and patient, but also we have limits.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
arn said:
Well, if you consider the timeframe, it won't matter. If dual powerpc PowerMacs come out in late 2005 and intel-based powermacs don't come until early 2007. I think it'll make sense.

arn
Good call, oh Godly one.

By the way, ThinkSecret was really confusing on whether the processors used would be dual proccessor dual-core, or just one dual-core processor. Care to shed any light? I know older rumors say that it is definitely a 4-core solution, but those are just that... older rumors.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
~Shard~ said:
........................... to get us by, a dual-core 970 system would be ideal. Apple could run with that for the next 14-18 months, throwing in a speed boost in mid-2006 along with other marginal upgrades, .............................

they'd better start selling the dual cores soon. otherwise people will not buy them because they rather wait for the intel macs.

there has to be a long enough time gap between the dual core g5's and the expected release of intel macs to justify the purchase of the duals.

intel powermacs will be there early 2007, many people will expect them late 2006 and will decide to wait if the dual core g5's are released only in 2006.

duhliterate

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2005
Central California
somebody, on another thread, asked if people were starting to get mad at apple/jobs even though we love their products. count me in that group.

UPGRADE THE POWERBOOKS, YOU BOOB!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I think we need something new. Something to like take our breath away. We haven't had that in a while! :(

<----- HE NEEDS TO GIVE US SOME MORE! GRRRRRRRRRR

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
commandZ said:
persistent rumors[/url] that Dual Core PowerPC based PowerMacs are in the works.

I disagree, Apple has the uncanny ability to divide it's attention to multiple products and still be inovative. Apple is pretty good at misdirection, too (Steve, you rascal).

Also, there have been hints/rumours that Apple isn't going to go with current intel technology. You can't forget that while people are drooling over the possible performance of MacIntels using current techonology, I'm sure apple has something in the works with intel. Not reinventing the wheel mind you, but definitely making it better.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
IEatApples said:
Yes, and I think for Apple to wait until mid 2006 for upgrades would kill them.
We Mac users are devoted and patient, but also we have limits.
Sure, I was just throwing that out as an example - pick your date for a 2006 upgrade. ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
lilstewart92 said:
I think we need something new. Something to like take our breath away. We haven't had that in a while! :(
I don't know about you, but the iPod nano sure impressed the socks off me! Oh, you probably meant something non-iPod related... ;)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
~Shard~ said:
I don't know about you, but the iPod nano sure impressed the socks off me! Oh, you probably meant something non-iPod related... ;)
Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of Macs. The iPod nano is fricken awesome!! w00t w00t iPod nano ROCKS ON!