MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Wall Street Journal reports (subscription required) that Steve Jobs is on track to return from his six-month medical leave of absence later this month.
While Mr. Jobs has been on sick leave, some Apple directors have gotten weekly updates about his medical condition from the CEO's physician, according to a person familiar with the matter. Mr. Jobs's recovery "is coming along" and he is on schedule to return to work later this month, said this person, who has seen Mr. Jobs in recent weeks.

"He was one real sick guy," added this person. "Fundamentally he was starving to death over a nine-month period. He couldn't digest protein. [But] he took corrective action."
While there has been much speculation about whether Jobs will make an appearance at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple has continued to officially claim that he will not return until the end of the month. The Wall Street Journal's sources claim that, true to Jobs' style of showmanship, Apple is preparing for his return to coincide with a media event of some sort.
Much of the buzz appears to be conjecture of the type that has swirled around Apple and Mr. Jobs for years. But two people who do business with Apple said senior Apple managers have told them the company is now trying to coordinate Mr. Jobs's return with a product launch or public event.
The report also cites a source who claims that the next-generation iPhone is ready to be introduced at WWDC, with a launch to possibly occur by early July in order to accommodate owners of the original iPhone whose two-year contracts will begin expiring. The source, who has seen the iPhone, reports that the iPhone will be similar in appearance to the iPhone 3G but will possess more processing power and have additional features such as video editing, claims which are consistent with previous reports.

Article Link: Steve Jobs on Track for a June Return to Coincide with a Media Event?

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Good to hear. Hopefully this means a tablet, if there is an event at the end of the month.

Comment

jlwilliams

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
"The report also cites a source who claims that the next-generation iPhone is ready to be introduced at WWDC, with a launch to possibly occur by early July in order to accommodate owners of the original iPhone whose two-year contracts will begin expiring."

I dont think they would need to accommodate 1st gen owners as those phones were not subsidized and they could upgrade at any time. If anything its for owners of the 3g who are going to be over their first year in contract. I would think there would be a discount for people who sign another 2 year contract.

Comment

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Glad to hear that Jobs is doing better and on-track to return to his post.

Am not happy if Apple makes any decision to hold back iPhone for his return at the end of the month.

Perhaps it's at the end of the month that they will release the tablet/netbook/whatever? He's said to have been involved in some aspect of the new device, even during his leave of absence.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Yeah.
You know it.
You all know what this means they are going to release...

Release major portions of disappointment.

Ok, maybe a tablet.

Comment

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
there is no way he will reveal a tablet. i think the iPhone will be anounced at WWDC and wont be released until later in the month so that first gen iPhone users contracts will be up and they can get the new one. jobs will probably be releasing the new iPhone or possible snow leopard, but im leaning towards the iPhone.

Comment

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
It's nice to see such consistency in these reports. Granted, they are likely fueled by their previous report on these matters, but unlike one year ago, we have some very strong themes within the predictions and reports...

Comment

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Nice to hear.. though I wonder if it'll have any major effect on the executive working of the company. As Tilpots points out, it does seem to be about the Stock Price.

Comment

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
It's all about the stock price...:rolleyes:

True, however the stock definitely is a good indicator as to the vibe a company is giving off. Personally, I pray it soars. And besides:

This is great news, glad to hear he is back on his feet :)

Exactly. Steve is the guy that can pull Apple up to the top. And I'm hoping, even if these are the final years of his position at Apple, that they're the best ones yet -- keeping the company on a track for success for years to come.

Comment

RyanFromQA

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
Interesting. Good news for Jobs. I'm glad to hear it.

One thing I wonder, though, is why all this fuss is being made over the 2-year contract period of the original iPhone owners. I bought an original iPhone in November 2007, and then an iPhone 3G in July 2008 . . . there was no problem with AT&T, they just let me extend my contract. I'm very much hoping they let me do the same thing with the V3 iPhone. I think a LOT of sales would be lost if they charged 499/599 for the new phones to people who faithfully bought the iPhone, iPhone 3G, and now the iPhone v3.

Comment

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Steve is the guy that can pull Apple up to the top. And I'm hoping, even if these are the final years of his position at Apple, that they're the best ones yet -- keeping the company on a track for success for years to come.

Really.. do you truly believe this? I think he's run his course. There's only so much that a person can really do and till such a time! Its probably just stupid to pull a dead man back to office in the pretenses of a game changing leader!
Oh he definitely was.. but he was! Its high time that the man gets his share of peace and rest and some quiet alone time. As is visible he's already put in a lot more than his life to uplift Apple!

Comment

NT1440

Contributor
May 18, 2008
Really.. do you truly believe this? I think he's run his course. There's only so much that a person can really do and till such a time! Its probably just stupid to pull a dead man back to office in the pretenses of a game changing leader!
Oh he definitely was.. but he was! Its high time that the man gets his share of peace and rest and some quiet alone time. As is visible he's already put in a lot more than his life to uplift Apple!

The man's passion IS Apple, its not like he is dragged there everyday.

WTF is this "dead man" talk?

Comment

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
With a new iphone (allegedly) set to be unveiled on Monday, what sort of public event could Apple orchestrate at the end of June? WWDC from June 8-12 followed by a SJ return public event just two weeks later?:confused: I'm not buying the fact that there would be a separate media event just for his return if there isn't any major product announcement to go along with it.

Comment

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
Steve will call Phil Schiller during the demo of the new iPhone's video calling feature. Just you watch.

And remember, I called it first.

Comment

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
The man's passion IS Apple, its not like he is dragged there everyday.

WTF is this "dead man" talk?

He's old, has had treatments of two lethal forms of Cancers, cant digest Proteins, is literally starving to death and cant possibly sit in a court room for more than an hour.. that is the Fk about "dead man".
He deserves rest!

@FJ218700:
True, but again in benefit of Apple, he probably would've liked to stay at home or a non-attending Chairman or something if people had faith in the company to perform without him! Clearly thats not the case if an announcement of 6 months med leave plunges the stock to ~$80 from ~$120.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.