Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

132003-jobs_html5_safari.jpg

MacStories reports on a new email response to a customer from Apple CEO Steve Jobs, this time promising that full support for HTML5 is coming "soon" to the company's Safari browser. HTML5 has been a popular topic recently, given Jobs' continued support of the next-generation Web standard as a key component of future technologies that he believes will leave Adobe's Flash Player in the past.
But as you probably know, Apple doesn't actually fully support HTML5 in its flagship browser, the desktop version of Safari. Indeed, Safari for Mac (and Windows) doesn't have official and full support for many HTML5 specs like Geolocation API, Drag and Drop, Form Features and Inline SVG but according to this new email from Steve we received, all this stuff is coming.
Given that Google has just introduced several of these HTML5 features in its new Google Chrome beta version, it appears that Apple will likely need to move forward relatively rapidly in order to demonstrate its commitment to deploying the tools necessary for HTML5 in Safari to reach the potential espoused by Jobs. "Full" HTML5 adoption may be a bit of a moving target for Apple, however, as the standard has not yet been officially formalized.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Promises Full HTML5 Support for Safari 'Soon'

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
I need to send him an e-mail question that will result in an even terser answer:

Me: Do you plan to retire soon?

SJ: No.

or

Me: Who is the CEO today?

SJ: i (or I)

seven2k7

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Apple playing catch up with Google. Must be getting on Steves nerves. Should of kept his mouth shut. Now he has to deliver and deliver good.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
"Soon." That is as cryptic as it gets. Soon could be a week, a month, or a year or more. I understand that this is (or may be) an email from Steve Jobs but it's not page one material.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I love it, the poor guy is waiting for the iPad, and Steve just HAS to have that signature saying "Sent from my iPad" just to annoy him. :D

Yes I know it's an automatic signature but it just looks ironical.

I didn't even know Safari doesn't support all of HTML5! Geolocation would be cool, then Google Maps would maybe know where I am.

Oh but wait a sec, what about those websites that tell you where you are based on your IP address? Isn't that almost the same as Geolocation? So what's the difference?

The future sounds cool though!

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
look at the horrible spelling mistakes in the email.. ex. "when apple plan" and "PS. Canada wait for ipad". Did he mean to say I can't wait for ipad or i'm in canada and I want the ipad? These are questions that plague me.

edit: Correction Grammer mistakes not spelling. What was I thinking.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
"Soon." That is as cryptic as it gets. Soon could be a week, a month, or a year or more. I understand that this is (or may be) an email from Steve Jobs but it's not page one material.

Apple can't afford to allow Google Chrome to gain traction. So it's in Apples interest to do this quickly.

Steve would look rather dumb to speak about Flash the way he has and to not back it up even further by FULLY supporting HTML5.

Google is Moving quick in the Browser space and mobile space so in Apples cool and awesome way they'll release aggressive updates that make Googles efforts appear childish at best.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Good , but doesn't surprise me, Apple have been quite good at keep up with W3C standards.

Safari will be ready when HTML5 becomes mainstream.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
WWDC hopes/predictions:
Safari 5
Mac Pro w/ new cinema displays
The next iPhone

Maybe:
10.7 announcement... please?
Spec bumps given to the Mac Mini, iMac, MacBook Air and MacBook.

lukin

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Can any of you html 5 guys tell me what happened to the implementation of datagrid in html 5? Was it bumped from the spec? I can't find it. If so... that sucks.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
I love it, the poor guy is waiting for the iPad, and Steve just HAS to have that signature saying "Sent from my iPad" just to annoy him. :D

Yes I know it's an automatic signature but it just looks ironical.

I didn't even know Safari doesn't support all of HTML5! Geolocation would be cool, then Google Maps would maybe know where I am.

Oh but wait a sec, what about those websites that tell you where you are based on your IP address? Isn't that almost the same as Geolocation? So what's the difference?

The future sounds cool though!

Soon Google Maps will be an afterthought on the Mac or iPhone/iPad platform.
Apple did buy a innovative company that specialized in maps about a Year and Half ago. The company was called Place Base. They did MAPS way better then Google btw, it's just there size wasn't as Big as Googles so that weren't on any consumers Radar.

Don't expect the Google Maps app to last much longer on any iDevice

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
WWDC hopes/predictions:
Safari 5
Mac Pro w/ new cinema displays
The next iPhone

Maybe:
10.7 announcement... please?
Spec bumps given to the Mac Mini, iMac, MacBook Air and MacBook.

That would be awesome. Sure hope so!!! And maybe demo pre release of New fully optimized 64 bit FCP studio to sell later in the year.

CadenZ15

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
lol I like how the sender says PS Cant wait for iPad, than ol Stevie responds with "Sent from My iPad" Kind of an IN YOUR FACE response haha

Reed Rothchild

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Blighty
look at the horrible spelling mistakes in the email.. ex. "when apple plan" and "PS. Canada wait for ipad". Did he mean to say I can't wait for ipad or i'm in canada and I want the ipad? These are questions that plague me.

edit: Correction Grammer mistakes not spelling. What was I thinking.

Well spotted. "Grammer" is a spelling mistake. "Grammar" isn't.

Sorry, couldn't resist :).

As for the topic - Apple really need to use Safari as a flagship for what HTML5 can offer, particularly after Job's recent posturing. I'm sure they're well aware of that and will be pushing hard. Google are doing great things with Chrome (and Android) though. Always good to see lively competition. The customer always wins in that scenario.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Ah the world: it is a'changin'.

If I was a PC user I would be upset it was changing, wanting to cling to the past and all the hoops I had to learned to jump through.

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Well spotted. "Grammer" is a spelling mistake. "Grammar" isn't.

Sorry, couldn't resist :).

As for the topic - Apple really need to use Safari as a flagship for what HTML5 can offer, particularly after Job's recent posturing. I'm sure they're well aware of that and will be pushing hard. Google are doing great things with Chrome (and Android) though. Always good to see lively competition. The customer always wins in that scenario.

dang it you got me there. lol it should pop up as wrong in the dang spell checker thingy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.