Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
Well said, I can't see Apple even without Steve not coming out with great products for a long time. There is this idea that Apple will just go down the tube if Steve is not around, I doubt that will happen. :eek:

I'm sorry, but Apple is Steve Jobs. Without Jobs, there is no iPod, iPhone or iPad.

When Jobs does leave for good, there will be serious doubt placed on his successor. I know Cook has been there for a long time, but, he is not the inovator or forward thinker that Jobs is.

Steve Jobs>Apple

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
I'm sorry, but Apple is Steve Jobs. Without Jobs, there is no iPod, iPhone or iPad.

When Jobs does leave for good, there will be serious doubt placed on his successor. I know Cook has been there for a long time, but, he is not the inovator or forward thinker that Jobs is.

Steve Jobs>Apple

There are many good directions he can take.

Vision comes from the people developing the product, not the guy presenting the KeyNote.

SJ is just a guy getting credit for the work of others.

Do you think he just say's "Make it so Number One"

like Captain Picard from star Trek?

And it Happens?

The Company will be fine.

There is some more important talent that never gets press or praise. And they will still be there.

Don't worry about Steve and his 2 hour executive work day ..Pshhhh Ha!

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003

Vision comes from the people developing the product, not the guy presenting the KeyNote.

And it Happens?

There is some more important talent that never gets press or praise. And they will still be there.

Yeah, you'll have to save that argument for an executive who hasn't been at the helm of 3 amazing companies. (And yes, I include NeXT. Even though they never quite took off the way Pixar or Apple have, they produced PCs that were groundbreaking for their day.)

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Yeah, you'll have to save that argument for an executive who hasn't been at the helm of 3 amazing companies. (And yes, I include NeXT. Even though they never quite took off the way Pixar or Apple have, they produced PCs that were groundbreaking for their day.)

I'm not saving this argument...

I chalk it up to being at the right place at the right time.

I would say ask Woz what he thinks but he can't speak his mind if he wants the paycheck.

Steve Jobs is not the superhero you think he is.

Ask the developers .

Or don't ...they have a paid gag order

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece

And it Happens?

although your name is mr. Gates, i'll have to agree with you.
do you think that steve jobs designed the macbook pros, the iphone, the ipad? Sure he had the idea, but it's his engineering, designer, production team that works altogether to accomplish their goals. apple ISN'T steve jobs, it's a whole organism, not a single cell.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Yeah - now it's mainly about iToys. But I won't shed a tear for the Xserve, though.

No. I hate myself for responding, but I have to say it. It's about the Eco system. If all apple made were computers you'd moan that they are not supported by all the smart phone makers, media device makers. We all win this way: Apple makes the devices we want and their popularity raises the profile of the mac resulting in it being more generally supported than it as 5 years ago..

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
do you think that steve jobs designed the macbook pros, the iphone, the ipad? Sure he had the idea, but it's his engineering, designer, production team that works altogether to accomplish their goals. apple ISN'T steve jobs, it's a whole organism, not a single cell.

Here is how I see it: How come Dell didn't create the MacBook Pros, the iPhone, the iPad? Ten years ago Next was for sale with what was the basis for MacOS X. Apple bought Next for $400 million. Dell could have easily offered twice the money. They could have released DellOS X 10.0 in 2002 and DellOS X 10.6 in 2009 and we would be posting on http://www.DellRumors.com. They could have done exactly what Apple did. It's not as if there are no clever people working at Dell, and even if that wasn't the case, it's not as if clever people would have refused to work there.

So Dell could be a $300bn company today, and Apple could be nothing. Now who is responsible for that?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Here is how I see it: How come Dell didn't create the MacBook Pros, the iPhone, the iPad? Ten years ago Next was for sale with what was the basis for MacOS X. Apple bought Next for $400 million. Dell could have easily offered twice the money. They could have released DellOS X 10.0 in 2002 and DellOS X 10.6 in 2009 and we would be posting on http://www.DellRumors.com. They could have done exactly what Apple did. It's not as if there are no clever people working at Dell, and even if that wasn't the case, it's not as if clever people would have refused to work there.

So Dell could be a $300bn company today, and Apple could be nothing. Now who is responsible for that?

Because it is Dell.

Coarseman

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Globetrotter wannabe...

To put it even more simple: How did Xerox not foresee the future of GUI?:):)

borgonuovo

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
Iphone 5 release date

Hi Everybody,

According to this article, http://www.conceivablytech.com/5542/...izon-iphone-4/ ,there will be an Iphone"4.5" for both GSM and CDMA customers, released when the white color becomes available (march?).
Antenna issues would be solved on this mid cycle revisione of the Iphone 4

Do you think this means a delay for the release of the iphone 5? if Iphone 4.5 comes out in march, I think the iphone 5 won't come out until early 2012

What's your point of view on this? thank you

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Moaners and whiners about the Mac "lagging" are stuck in 1998. Lion is coming. Along with a Mac refresh at the usual time. And as usual, they'll sell like crazy.

The iPad *is* a computer. Get used to it, because it foretells the future of "computer." for everyone.

Except for people who want to do things. My iPad is ok, but it's certainly nowhere near a good mac or windows desktop. Sorry. The desktop will always be around in some way because of productivity needs. And yes, the Mac lags hard compared to PC's. Our new work PC's are more powerful than my 2010 Mac Pro, and they were 850 bucks.

LTD is correct about the ipad fortelling the future of computers. It may not happen in my lifetime (I'm about halfway through based on averages), but one day there won't be a concept of "my laptop" vs "my desktop" vs "your laptop" etc.

I suspect that with the advancement of technology in general (phones that have more computing power than computers from the 1980s or 1990s, the "smart electrical grid," etc) that everything will be one mammoth computer where your home is simply a node and everything is part of it. Your tv, your "computer," your refrigerator, etc - all working as one. Bring it (whatever 'it' is) home and by simply plugging it in the electrical outlet it is another component of that mega-computer grid. Things like tablets won't be THE computer, they may simply be the interface to that computer - the ultimate 'cloud' with your little part of the world protected from everyone else, but still 'shared' in the sense that all of it is really one national or global interconnected computer.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
As if this should be surprising to anyone. Of course he stays involved with his company. I could even imagine Steve may have video conference capability from his home, making it easy to stay at the helm of his ship, even while physically away. :rolleyes:

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
although your name is mr. Gates, i'll have to agree with you.

Without an idea, you have nothing.

camelsnot

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
his inflated ego won't let him take a rest. He needs to be involved in every aspect of Apple, just like Oprah and her networks. We'll see if his body can keep up with his ego. :(

camelsnot

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Without an idea, you have nothing.

There are millions more ideas that fail, even when pushed through to completion. It is true, however, that design firms push ideas and designs to companies. None are ever allowed to take credit, however, get large sums of money to keep quiet. Design firms are the unsung heros in some of the best gadgets and "things" out there today. If you ever see a guy on the street who works at a design firm and whose clients includes Apple, shake his hand.

Since 1984

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
San Francisco
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Really? Just how much less could you care? Perhaps you mean "couldn't care less."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.