Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

akrantz said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Really? So if there's a building, it obviously has a builder, correct? Why wouldn't creation have a creator? Look around you. ;)

Then by your own logic. Which would seem to be that everything has a creator. Who created your creator?

There has to an "unmoved" mover. Life cannot come from non-life. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

sk58781111

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
QFT - Even with Steve gone, the ecosystem he has built will not die overnight.

true. apple is a juggernaut right now and even if jobs were to pass away apple would continue to grow for the foreseeable future. johnny ive's design philosophy will continue to lead apple.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Well I hope a lot of people have that reactionary mindset, so I can afford their stock.

I hope so too, going short at opening, hoping I won't be the only one. (I see profit in this, one's loss, is another's gain).

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Unless you're in it for the short term you shouldn't be concerned... Apple will perform regardless over the long term.

That's not how stock or the market works. The market is a liquidity meter and a major plunge is coming. Apple will be around but the stock price is not based on how good a company is.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009

There has to an "unmoved" mover. Life cannot come from non-life. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

I could beg to differ on a large basis of scientific fact (and posturing), however I feel that this isn't the place for this and should rather be discussed in the PRSI board.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States

AdeFowler said:
This is Appleinsider. The trashiest of the tech rumor sites. The are probably happy about the racist posts because they will get more comments. Even so, what forum ISN'T a breeding ground for that kind of stuff. I personally think its because people like that are looking for a place where they can not be held personally responsible, which is of course a sign of weakness.

Really? :confused:

I don't know. I for one, think differently.

akrantz

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008

You are saying that something coming from nothing "doesn't make sense" but that something existing forever without a beginning does. I would put forth the philosophy that we are unable to determine what preceded what we now see due to lack of information and the inability to process the information we currently have. There has never been on observable instance in the natural world where something existed without a beginning. So to suppose that such a thing is a logical conclusion is merely hopeful extrapolation.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States

darkplanets said:

I could beg to differ on a large basis of scientific fact (and posturing), however I feel that this isn't the place for this and should rather be discussed in the PRSI board.

PM me if you want to continue discussion.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Apple not Dead Because Steve Taking LOA

First and foremost apple is not going to die if Steve isn’t there.

Apple had difficulty in the 90’s not because there wasn’t Steve at the helm. But because the stupid board put an ex-Pepsi gut that had no idea how to run a technology company. Selling sodas does not qualify you to sell computers. DUH!

Apple lost focus and had too many products in it’s lineup. They didn’t benefit from the economy of scale because they didn’t sell enough of any one product.

Steve may be a visionary but he don’t come up with every idea. There is a team of people doing that. Apple was granted almost 600 patents in 2010. Steve didn’t do that. Steve doesn’t design the product or write code.

As long as they have people at the top that don’t forget that Apple *IS* a brand and putting out crappy products hurts the brand they will be fine. As a share holder and having worked in the Silicon Valley for more than 20 years this doesn’t unnerve me.

I won’t be dumping my stock and I won’t be selling off my Apple products.

akrantz

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008

Go find any video on youtube and read the comments. You will see what people will say when they have a little anonymity. Thats all I meant. As for my comments about AI, I don't think anyone who has been visiting this site for the last several years would be under any illusions that they don't value traffic above news.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Get well soon, Steve.
If he were to leave permanently, Jony Ive should definitely take over at CEO.

I don't think he would want to. It is difficult to run a large company and remain creative. (It's what makes SJ unique.) Given the choice, Ive would likely choose the latter.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
My only problem with Tim Cook is his name. I am sure that Waz and Jobs would agree, Anyone at the top of Apple should have the name Steve.

James Bond guitar twanging in the background...

The name is Ballmer. Steve Ballmer!

Uhhh, No Thank-you!

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet." - Romeo & Juliet

Get thee well, Steve. Get thee well!

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States

akrantz said:

You are saying that something coming from nothing "doesn't make sense" but that something existing forever without a beginning does. I would put forth the philosophy that we are unable to determine what preceded what we now see due to lack of information and the inability to process the information we currently have. There has never been on observable instance in the natural world where something existed without a beginning. So to suppose that such a thing is a logical conclusion is merely hopeful extrapolation.

What individual 'evidence' do you need? Something can't come from nothing.

mkwomble

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008

What individual 'evidence' do you need? Something can't come from nothing.

please peddle your evangelical sky man nonsense somewhere else please.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
As much as I want the best for the guy, I hope he leaves soon and the new CEO has different ideas, such as a more open app store, or separating the i from iOS X.

But please do get well soon Steve!

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I wish Steve the best. I know Apple was survive perfectly fine without him since he hasn't performed day-to-day CEO duties in years (that's always been Cook's job).

However, I hope this doesn't lead to another year of the "meh" product announcements like the first half of 2009 (iPhone 3GS, barely updated iLife suite, iWork.com beta, iTunes' move to tiered pricing, minimal hardware updates, etc).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
the new CEO has different ideas, such as a more open app store, or separating the i from iOS X.
As much as I may disagree with apple's direction, they're running on all cylinders. Just look at the Mac App Store. I was surprised to see how many apps are available and its giving the small developer a channel to distribute their apps.

while it would be nice to see a little more openness, I'm not sure Tim Cook, the heir apparent is willing to go that route, especially because the route they're taking has been wildly successful. Why fix what's no broken, type of mentality.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Yes; Tim Cook put a HDMI, USB 3.0, Light peak ports and blu ray, to the iMac. Also, shove a dual core CPU and GPU, gyro, 8mp with 1080p vr, 3D no glasses display, retina display, 1gb RAM, iMovie desktop equivalent app, flash.... to the iPad.

Sorry Steve, but your decisions are rubbish: no blu ray, to increase itunes 720p sales; no flash, to increase sales of apps. Really, if you add blu ray, HDMI etc, then your sales will go up (with the right marketing.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.