Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
Boston
Let’s get one thing straight. The limitations of the iPhone, some of which Woz alludes to, are ENTIRELY due to ATT and how the cellphone industry currently works in the US. Jobs has commented on this before (referring to mobile phone service providers as sphincters or something). Also, Walt Mossberg had an article on this subject recently in the Wall Street Journal. I’m sure the iPhone would be “more like a computer” and a lot “freer” if it weren’t for the paranoid business model of mobile phone companies.

exigentsky

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Let’s get one thing straight. The limitations of the iPhone, some of which Woz alludes to, are ENTIRELY due to ATT and how the cellphone industry currently works in the US. Jobs has commented on this before (referring to mobile phone service providers as sphincters or something). Also, Walt Mossberg had an article on this subject recently in the Wall Street Journal. I’m sure the iPhone would be “more like a computer” and a lot “freer” if it weren’t for the paranoid business model of mobile phone companies.

It's easy to excuse Apple, but maybe you're forgetting that even if it is due to AT&T, they agreed to these terms. I'm sure they could have negotiated something better for consumers, but I guess the shareholders weren't too thrilled about it. I can see it now: "What? We can't charge the consumer twice for what they already own!?! Blasphemy!" Apple is as guilty as AT&T regardless of whether or not they favored such terms.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
It's always nice to see a legend like Woz candidly speak about these issues. I mostly agree with him, especially on the iPhone. It's ridiculous that it is so locked down in almost every way. He is spot on that you should be able to install new programs and your own ringtones. It's also disgusting that Apple is charging an extra 99c just for using A SONG YOU ALREADY OWN to make a 30 sec ringtone. It's as if I purchase pepper from the store and I have to buy a separate one for every food. I have to buy one for soup, one for steak, etc. Apple shouldn't be allowed to do this; we shouldn't tolerate it.

this may have been addressed one time or another but, re: iPhone, apple is partnering with att. don't you think it is att's idea of locking the phone? don't you think it is the riaa's idea of selling the songs again to create ringtones? maybe apple signed an nda to not discuss this. not defending apple, but this is one possibility.

First, I heart Woz.
He's the only person I'd rather head Apple than Jobs.

Second, redapple is most definitely right with regards to ringtones: has everything to do with the labels, the RIAA and greed.

Third, what exigentsky touches on is a prefect example of the short-sightedness that is killing the industry (be it music or film).
If I ran a recording label - we would be offering free ringtones as fast as possible. Every track of our entire catalog. No strings attached. Free. Go get em. Use them. Share them. Spread the word.
Why?
Exposure.
Saturation.
It's not rocket science. It's no different than the free samples at the grocery store. The odds dramatically increase that I'll buy some new cracker if I get a free sample. Otherwise, like most people, I'll stick with what I know. Same goes for music. If I can freely acquire, use and share ringtones, the odds of me and my friends actually purchasing the single (or album or concert ticket) increases, big time.
The alternative is what we have today: people, like me, that like the concept of ringtones but are not willing (or able) to purchase the track and then repurchase the ringtone. Thus, less exposure, decreases the odds of their product being purchased and so on...

It's this moronic, short-sighted greed that is completely missing the point and actually, in the end, costing those same greedy f*cks even more revenue.

It really can be both this simple and extremely profitable. Just look at Phish's open taping policy.
http://www.phish.com/guidelines/index.php?category=6
This allowed fans to freely enjoy and share the band's music which led to their massive following and constant sold out tours. They got right what the labels have gotten so incredibly wrong.

I'm just saying...

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
yeah I agree. I think it is getting time for Jobs to step down. While Jobs is a good CEO when the company was in trouble right now with the company doing great I think he is a poor CEO and likes to have to much control. I do agree apple is rather very hypercritical in how they act. I can not stand hypocrites and that is what apple has become. Jobs is leading them down that path and it is getting time for him to step down and let some else take control and lead the company. It needs fresh leadership and some one who is less of a control freak. Apple is a huge control freak of a company.

You totally contradict yourself when you say that. First you say that Jobs was good when the company was in trouble and now that he has brought it up to a profitable company he should take a hike? The company is where it is today because of his being a good CEO. What do mean by control freak? How has SJ being a control freak affected your daily computing?
You can't just make anyone who seems like a nice guy and has a passion for the company a CEO.
Apple's products are top notch and their OS is better than ever and Apple has become the king of multimedia and now you think the CEO needs to step down? When the company starts going down is when the CEO needs to leave which is why SJ was fired in the beginning.
The company is big today because of him and you have to admit he makes the Macworld shows exciting, WWDC is exciting, his idea to keep quiet on new products before they are unveiled has made it fun.
Not even Bill Gates makes computing fun.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Woz is not the right person to be CEO of Apple (not now, not yesterday, not tomorrow) but Apple only exists because Woz was in the right place at the right time to design the Apple I and II (dram architecture, 1200 bps tape interface, IWM floppy controller, hand-coding integer basic in machine language, etc.)

I will eat a shoe if there's a single Woz hater here with a tenth Woz's engineering chops. Y'all snot-nosed hater punks need to grow up.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
First, I heart Woz.
He's the only person I'd rather head Apple than Jobs.

Second, redapple is most definitely right with regards to ringtones: has everything to do with the labels, the RIAA and greed.

Third, what exigentsky touches on is a prefect example of the short-sightedness that is killing the industry (be it music or film).

If I ran a recording label - we would be offering free ringtones as fast as possible. Every track of our entire catalog. No strings attached. Free. Go get em. Use them. Share them. Spread the word.
Why?
Exposure.
Saturation.
It's not rocket science. It's no different than the free samples at the grocery store. The odds dramatically increase that I'll buy some new cracker if I get a free sample. Otherwise, like most people, I'll stick with what I know. Same goes for music. If I'm can freely acquire, use and share ringtones, the odds of me and my friends actually purchasing the single (or album or concert ticket) increases, big time.
The alternative is what we have today: people, like me, that like the concept of ringtones but are not willing (or able) to purchase the track and then repurchase the ringtone. Thus, less exposure, decreases the odds of their product being purchased and so on...

It's this moronic, short-sighted greed that is completely missing the point and actually, in the end, costing those same greedy f*cks even more revenue.

It really can be both this simple and extremely profitable. Just look at Phish's open taping policy.
http://www.phish.com/guidelines/index.php?category=6
This allowed fans to freely enjoy and share the band's music which led to their massive following and constant sold out tours. They got right what the labels have gotten so incredibly wrong.

I'm just saying...

And if I were a shareholder with the company that you ran, I'd be calling for your head. Do you really believe that giving away ringtones would push regular music sales so high that they would throw away a 500 million dollar industry?

I guess I'm the minority. I'm only 25, but I know enough to know that music has never been free. It's a product, and there are companies that own that product. You have to pay to use the product.

Say Apple let's you use any mp3/aac as your ringtone. They piss off the owners of all that precious material at the iTunes store, who don't see any reason to piss 500 million down the drain. I don't think Apple can afford to do that, and lose all those precious iPod sales.

I've bought exactly one ring tone, and I don't use it. Apple's system is amazing. It was worth $2. That's certainly cheaper than the systems in place now, and the implementation is obviously far, far superior. Definitely worth it.

Somebody already said this but I agree in that Woz is ONLY saying this because he doesn't have to deal with ANYTHING that he says.

He can make himself out to be such a good guy, and a hero to the people... but it's because he doesn't have to back anything up.

Hey everyone... I think war is stupid and if I had the power... everyone would live in peace and be rich and live forever!!!! Who likes what I said? Anyone? Must mean I'd make a great world leader.
Yup. That's exactly it. I'm all for popular ideals, but I'm for practical ideas more. When push comes to shove, where do you stand on the hard decisions where there is no "right" answer... and when the smoke clears, how will history regard your choices you made? Legacy is painful when the buck stops at your desk.

~ CB

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
"Why in the world can I not install a ringtone that I've made? How would that hurt AT&T's network? Here is Steve Jobs sending letters to the record companies saying [they] should provide music that's unprotected"

Ouch... I feel hurted and it wasn't with me. :confused:

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Why does everyone seem to think Woz is creative? Woz is a good engineer, a great engineer. But creative?.. No, not at all.

Steve Jobs was the visionary, always was and always will be. Without his vision of what the PC should be we never would have had the Mac. He was the driving force behind all of what makes Apple so great today- OS X, the iPod/iPhone family, the Mac. Not only did he have the vision, but the keen business sense to reinvigorate the Apple brand through marketing, opening retail stores, etc..

Woz could have NEVER done what Jobs has done with Apple in the last 10 years. This is why Jobs is at the helm of one of the fastest growing companies in tech, and Woz is playing with laser pointers and talking about the pranks he likes to pull.

LOL, I was trying to be nice by calling him creative.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
holy cow...

As an AAPL shareholder, I am glad teenagers like some of the folks on this forum are not running multi-billion-dollar companies I own a stake of.

First, people have no idea what Woz even contributed to the original Apple. Hint -- almost nothing you now think of as a "Mac" was created by Woz. Woz, way back in the day, was good at designing elegant hardware circuit-boards and the like. Now, Apple has Intel to do that stuff. Woz I believe still technically is an Apple employee, although I guess it's probably in name only, because any responsible employee wouldn't spout so much crap abut their employer. Woz WAS involved in a cellphone/communicator startup, it was called Danger, and if you think he would be involved with a better phone than Steve Jobs go pick up a Sidekick and shut up, because that was Woz's cellphone.

10.5 kicks butt, I don't care about some of it's rough point-oh edges. It's freaking awesome, it dramatically improved the performance of my dual 2GHz MacBook Pro and gave me a ton of new features AND stability to boot. Apple has an awesome hardware lineup now, although servers/RAIDs could seriously stand updates. But desktops, laptops, and software-wise, they are doing awesome. Not to mention iPhone, iPod, etc. Why does anyone feel Apple is floundering now? They are a stronger company now than they have EVER been. They are innovating, making tons of money, expanding their business -- anyone who wants Jobs to step down needs to stay as far away from the world of business as possible, because you have no idea what you're talking about, at all.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Woz should still be employed by Apple at certain levels of development. While his business views might be concurrent with a teenager, or his 1974 persona, his ideas of computers' functions are extremely valid. Most of the computer market is oriented to computers as a lifestyle instead of computers as a tool to accentuate non-technical people. Apple is going in that direction, but should make even greater strides and separate almost completely from the dopey nerd-pack.

Think about it .... Why is Woz not working for Apple?
You are wishing for what it could be without knowing the reasons for the way they are.

Answer: The two of them are not as close as some would think.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Gah! It's not about PAYING for a ringtone that's an issue, it's about not being able to use your OWN ringtone that is. I would gladly pay for software to put a ringtone of my own creation on my cell phone, and would even consider paying for the "service" to convert a audio file to a ringtone. The fact that you can only do this with a select number of songs (not even sounds) on iTunes does not satisfy my desire for a ringtone that is unlike everyone else's.

Is it right to charge $3/ringtone that I own the rights to, one of my own creation? That's a decision that the market will determine.

I think that the quote means that Woz wanted the comupter to be an enabler to the dreams of the users, rather than force the users to become computer experts in order to realize their dreams. This is done by making them easier to use, but also has to be balanced by making sure that the features are rich enough to fully realize them. This is often down through third-party applications.

-jt2

If you are not happy return the fricking phone or sell it in eBay. Why you buy a closed device and then sit here and complain?

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
but a lot of people forget about when Jobs was fired. Jobs needed to be fired from apple back then. He was going to kill the company if he was not removed. Even Steve Jobs agrees that when he was fired from apple it was the right thing to do.

To me Jobs seems good at getting a company off the ground and starting it up but when it become successful and larger he fails to have to adapt to the new rules of the game. The very strong interlinking between apple stuff start backfiring after a while and starts becoming the undoing. I think Jobs fails when it comes to that part.

This is why I think it time for Jobs to announce he is retiring/stepping down from CEO. If he does it right it not going to really phase the stock prices or the company much at all. Just announce when he plans on handing over the reins to some new like a year away. This gives remove the shock factor.

I think you should attend the next shareholder meeting and raise those issues and ask for a vote to remove Steve.

If you are not a shareholder then buy the stock and do the above.

If not willing to buy and participate in governing the company, why you posting?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If you are not happy return the fricking phone or sell it in eBay. Why you buy a closed device and then sit here and complain?

It was only quite recently that we learnt Apple only allow ringtones uploads that are bought from iTunes. Before that, it was a guessing game to whether apple would allow freely uploadable ring tones.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
You said it right. Lets look at the quotes from the interview:

"The real dreams of how it will work for someone who knows nothing about the computer have been lost and don't get addressed anymore."

Well, why don't you address it then? Anybody could be saying that. It does not mean they are geniuses. Seriously, this guy was a great engineer, but not a visionary. And what has he done after the Apple I, II, and some limited influence on the Macintosh? I know what he does now, and it is great, but although it helps us all, as human beings, (his altruist job is remarkable), it has no impact in the computer industry, and it has been like that for a long time.

Just look at this other quote for the interview:

"Question: Beyond touch, how would you like to see user interfaces evolve?
SW Answer: I don't think anything revolutionary is close on the horizon, but I guess you never know. I didn't think the iPhone would be as pleasing. I was really surprised. Eventually, I would love a little computer with a camera that recognizes me, and I can throw a lot of little gestures at it, and it responds to what I say and do. It will be very hard to create a computer that can understand our voice and our rhythm."

Is that supposed to be a great visionary of the computer industry that will take Apple to the next level? that answer certainly cannot be one to tag as ingenious.

And about his rant on the iPhone being closed, etc., as I said before, Apple had things planned long ago. They are not talking about an SDK because of the pressure from the whiners, I mean hackers, etc. they just wanted to do it right, and that is what they said since day one.

As for ring-tones, it is not Apple's decision to charge for it. In this digital era of greedy labels trying to survive, it is in their legal definition of fair use that you cannot use your music for such thing. That is why they sell you the ring-tone capability as extra. In fact, that is something usually sold at a higher price by other cellular companies. Additionally, I read somewhere that the artists actually fought for this one with the record labels, since they wanted to control and sell the ring tones directly, but it was concluded that the labels had the rights on the music and its uses, or something to that effect. The one thing that Apple could have done, though, is to implement the ring tone builder to work on music that has no DRM protection. I guess the problem is that labels are already selling music without DRM and they still consider the ring-tone usage as something outside of their fair use agreement. Anyway, I think Apple could have done something else so you can create your own ring-tones using whatever you like, Garage Band, a microphone, etc.m but that is about it. And that whole ring-tone thing is more of a popular trend that will fade in a couple of years, or at least until those users grow up. (No offense to heavy ring-tone users)

His ego is bigger than his gird.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Cool comments. After Steve Jobs got kicked out of Apple, he started Next and Pixar.

Maybe Woz will start a company and back up his talk about what the iPhone should be with action.

I wish he would!

Yes he should stop complaining and instead do something positive, it is not like he is poor, and abously he has an opinion that is different from the direction Apple is taking.

It is easy to do the talk, it is much harder to do the walk and that goes also for all those that think they can do better than Steve and the Board of directors.

Stop the bull and do the action.

La Porta

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
News Flash: Woz LEFT Apple...over 2 decades ago. If he wanted to go back, he would. He doesn't. He works the education sector now. He wasn't fired or booted or anything like that.

Second: If Jobs left Apple now, we would return to the Apple that existed from the Mac II to the 20th Anniversary Mac. OS X would undergo slight improvements over the next 20 years, getting to version 10.7.45 Rev. B Update 2.0, with System Enabler 1.3 (or some insane garbage, old time System 7 users can feel me). Macs development would become stagnant. iPods would increase in capacity...but no new interface would come out.

A lot of people don't realize that Steve Job's cracking the whip, beating people into the shape that his ideas take, constantly demanding more and more is what makes Apple what it IS. Without his insanity, no one would push the envelope quite as hard. I, for one, dread the day when he does get to be too old to be CEO. Then what will we do? (hopefully we gain ~50% market share by then!).

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
"Why in the world can I not install a ringtone that I've made? How would that hurt AT&T's network? Here is Steve Jobs sending letters to the record companies saying [they] should provide music that's unprotected"

Ouch... I feel hurted and it wasn't with me. :confused:

You can, just need a different phone. This one is closed and has always been, and it was known from the start.

Why is it that everyone wants the iPhone to be something it is not?

There are other phones out there that may meet your needs better.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
It was only quite recently that we learnt Apple only allow ringtones uploads that are bought from iTunes. Before that, it was a guessing game to whether apple would allow freely uploadable ring tones.

Before that it was not a choice that Apple provided. It is a closed phone, it has the features they decide to implement and they are implemented in the way they decide.

How come nobody complains this bitterly about the capabilites of other phones?

Lets be fair folks, we all knew what we were getting into, deal with it. If you don't like it return it or sell it or write to Apple and complain.

What exactly are people getting accomplish by moaming and telling everyone how much better they and Woz would run the company?

Take action, vote your shares, vote with your wallet or quit bitching.

This is not constructive and it hurts the company you seem to love.

Do you kick your mom when she does not let you see a ceirtain TV show?

Why you kicking Apple?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Because other phones ( bought out of contract ):
- don't lock the consumer into a carrier
- freely allow 3rd party apps to be installed
- not locked down to high heaven
- allow ringtones to be uploaded freely ( clearly: an Apple decision to make the consumer buy from iTunes )
- more importantly: have capabilities far beyond what the iPhone offers ( except UI )

How come nobody complains this bitterly about the capabilites of other phones?

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
All i can see happening with apple ever since the above named 3 is Greedyness, 85% market share means power, and as always , absolute power corrupts absolutly , i thought steve and apple were above that but the proof that they aren't is there to be seen all over the place, just look at the prices in EUROS, it has been long proven that that is not only Taxes.
Ringtones, And locked phones, i'll stillbe bying all of it but i really dislike the greedyness of the Apple companie.

Buy a Dell and run Vista or Linux.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
- allow ringtones to be uploaded freely
- more importantly: have capabilities far beyond what the iPhone offers ( except UI )

So why you want an inferior product like the iPhone when you have so many other reasonable and fair choices?

Again, the iPhone is what it is, take it or leave it. Buy it when it meets your needs, until then buy something that is appropriate to your opinion and life style.

- allow ringtones to be uploaded freely ( clearly: an Apple decision to make the consumer buy from iTunes )

Not trying to be a smart-alek, this is a serious question, why don't you just buy one of those?

Seriously, if one has such problems with the iPhone then don't buy it.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

It's amazing how you conveniently forgot about the main feature that other cell phone companies block the customer's freedom of use. Shall we say, Bluetooth? Almost every cell phone company disables the majority of the Bluetooth features accept for the ability to use it for the Bluetooth headset. T-Mobile is the only company I was able to buy a Razr phone from that had all the Bluetooth functionality open.
It pisses me off that these companies block the Bluetooth because many of them won't allow me to even sync my phonebook on the computer. So since I want that feature what did I do? Bought a phone from T-Mobile that allowed me to use Bluetooth the way I want.

Stop complaining about what Apple blocks from the customer, they are not the only ones. Get what works the way you want our don't buy anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.