Stolen iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jrmines12, Jun 12, 2011.

1. jrmines12 macrumors newbie

So sad sad story. Went shopping at good old walmart tonight and unfortunately when dummy here went to load the groceries I didn't take the iPad out of the cart, turns out the color of the iPad blends in quite well with the cart. Of course the walmart is in a lousy neighborhood so even though we realized and were back in only 5 minutes it was gone, cart in the same exact place but no iPad. Now I'm stuck waiting and very hopeful with Find My iPad since its a wifi only model. No luck yet but trying to stay hopeful. Just wondering if you all have any advice or have any hopeful stories for this kind of situation. Thanks guys.

P.S. Anybody know if renters insurance would cover something like this, I'm trying to see if my policy would but of course Progressives sight is down right now.

2. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

Im sorry to hear that. It's a real shame that whoever took it couldn't have done the right thing. As a far as the insurance goes I don't know.

My close call was for a pair of Persol sunglasses. I set them down beside me on the grass to take a few pictures and left without picking them back up. Returned in less then 5 minutes but they were gone. I questioned everyone around and even accused a woman of taking them since I saw the same pair in her car within 3 feet of where I left them. (Yeah I was looking through the windows of everyones car in the entire parking lot) Let me tell you she was beyond upset with me for falsely accusing her. I did feel terrible about it and did learn an important lesson. In the end someone turned them into a nearby store and let me tell you I felt like a real **** when I walked in an hour later for the heck of it to ask if someone had turned in my sunglasses.

I thought I share my close call in hopes that people will read this and learn from my mistake (falsely accusing someone) and do the right thing and turn in something they find. I know the next time I find something I will be doing the same.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Am so sorry about the theft. If you've been unable to reach your insurance company, the hard copy of your renter's policy should have something about theft coverage.

It's easy to get distracted and for that reason I bought a sling bag for my iPad. It acts as a good backrest in a shopping cart, as well as a visual reminder. Hope you've filed a police report and that it's eventually found.

4. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I use mine just at home, trips it sticks by me, sorry for your loss .

5. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I read somewhere that you could call Apple and tell them about the theft. Give them the serial number and when the felon connects your iPad and Apple log it, they might notify you. I don't know if this is true, but you might as well try it

6. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    I was at a Mexican resort a few months ago. Had a drink with some friends by the pool late at night. Was leaning back on the lounger.... it was pretty dark, watching the stars and whatnot. My ipod touch must have slipped right out of my pocket and fallen on the lounger. Anyway, went early the next morning looking for it and of course it was gone. I'm sure one of the hotel employees snagged it. :mad:

7. iOS 5 macrumors newbie

Not true. Just because you HOPE they'd do that doesnt mean they do.

8. bufffilm, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

i've left stuff behind so i know what you're feeling, i really do.

having said that, why on earth would you be carrying an ipad around when you're going grocery shopping? are you that married to it that you can't leave it at home or under the car seat for a little while?

if you're going to insist on taking it everywhere, think about putting it in your wife's bag or bring your own bag if you have to. it's a lot harder to overlook a bag than an ipad, but be aware that you can lose that [the bag] too.

did you contact the store manager to find out if anyone turned it in? as for whether your insurance will cover it, contact them to find out.

9. FAsnakes macrumors regular

10. Atothendrew24 macrumors member

An Apple retail employee told me the same thing. OP go to your closest Apple Store and explain the situation. They will log your serial # and you will get it back if someone ever brings it in.

11. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

At least it was an iPad 1; nobody has yet to say that was pretty dumb to bring an iPad to walmart

Why?

12. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I don't "HOPE" that they do that, I'm not who lost the iPad. I'm saying that he should try what I described because if it turns out to be the case, it might offer a solution.

13. bwrairen macrumors 6502

My guess is that a lot of people, like me, often use the iPad for shopping lists.

14. nwbusa macrumors regular

Um... I seriously doubt this. Apple employees are not going to be confiscating any iPads brought into their stores. What if I "reported" a stolen iPad as a prank or something, and the rightful owner had their iPad confiscated by Apple? You think Apple is going to deal with that kind of potential headache? Nope.

Police are in the stolen property recovery business, not Apple.

15. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

If you left a pile of cash in a walmart cart, would you say that was stolen also? If something is not in your possession, it cannot be stolen from you. You lost it. Buy another. Lesson learned. Total bummer though. I FREAk when I lose my iShit.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm sorry for your loss, but what were you doing with your iPad at walmart?

17. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Stealing an iPad isn't a felony.

18. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I was wondering when I would hear of a person leaving their iPad while shopping. I've contemplated bringing it out because of the great app for Presidents Choice in Canada that has great recipes with their signatures products. I think I will probably write it down or on my iPhone notepad at least now.

19. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

uhh.. they do have grocery list apps!! DUHH

20. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

That sucks that you left your iPad in the shopping cart. I'm not so sure who "Dummy" is but in the long run people are more important then electronics. Sounds like it was your spouse maybe.

It's absolutely amazing how much value we put on the stuff we buy, and how much we worry about our "stuff." The Wallmart is in a bad neighborhood you said. If it's that bad of a neighborhood maybe you can sit back and think of all the other situations that could have occurred.

Like someone mugging you for your iPad, instead of taking from the cart because you forgot it. Or even worse then you could ever possibly imagine. In the end what means more to you, the iPad or "Dummy" there?

21. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I do not leave the house without my iPad. Even grocery shopping, movies, theme park, etc. I am a freelance computer consultant and have few clients who have 24/7 support with me, with guaranteed response time. And with logmein I can do most of support remotely. So yes, people do bring iPads to unlikely places. How about you stop criticizing a person for bringing it to wal mart? Its their property. They can do whatever they feel like with it.

22. Atothendrew24 macrumors member

I'm not trolling or trying to make up anything. This is honestly just what the retail employee told me when I was taking my phone in one time.

He said pretty much these exact words: "Right after you talk to the police, call us and we can put a stop on the serial number. That way, if it ever comes through our systems, we can notify the police".

I'm not trying to lie to anyone. Just trying to help the OP out.

23. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I agree with the people that say its lost, not stolen. I had my car window broken and 5000 dollar guitar taken, not THAT was stolen.

24. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Did you ask the Store manager if anyone turned it in to CS or security?

25. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

That sucks. Sorry to hear. I hope the jerks who stole it do try and connect it to wifi soon.

For those ragging on the OP as to why the brought their iPad to walmart... Why? The iPad is meant to be mobile. Seems like a good use of the iPad to me!