Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
For those ragging on the OP as to why the brought their iPad to walmart... Why? The iPad is meant to be mobile. Seems like a good use of the iPad to me!

Not that I'm in the boat raging on the OP for bringing his iPad, it does seem a bit pretentious to me for many reasons. But in any case, that's none of my concern. I hope you get it back OP. That really sucks :(

jrmines12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Hi all, thanks for all your responses, I have filed a police report and have also filed a report with Apple who has flagged it in their system. As for Find My iPhone the message asking for the return and the remote lock have went through but unfortunately no location as of yet, weird huh? I've been watching Craigslist hoping to see something that might look like my iPad but no luck just yet.

For those of you wondering why I brought it with me, yes I did bring it for my shopping list and have brought it along before. Just this time I was misfortunate enough to not be paying enough attention.

As far as the dummy goes, yes the dummy was in fact me, I wasn't referring to my spouse in any way...wow

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
Hi all, thanks for all your responses, I have filed a police report and have also filed a report with Apple who has flagged it in their system. As for Find My iPhone the message asking for the return and the remote lock have went through but unfortunately no location as of yet, weird huh? I've been watching Craigslist hoping to see something that might look like my iPad but no luck just yet.

For those of you wondering why I brought it with me, yes I did bring it for my shopping list and have brought it along before. Just this time I was misfortunate enough to not be paying enough attention.

As far as the dummy goes, yes the dummy was in fact me, I wasn't referring to my spouse in any way...wow

My bad hope you get your iPad back.

jrmines12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
oh and as a side note it did have the iOS 5 beta on it so if they do try to restore it they could get pretty stuck I think, so thats providing some nice humorous relief right now. :p

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Why would you ever bring your iPad to wally world? If you can afford an iPad im sure you can afford a pen/paper to write down your list. Ugh i do feel sorry for you dear friend. I hope surfing the internet in wal-mart on your iPad was worth it :(

Atothendrew24

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Arizona

If Apple flagged it then it'll show up eventually. Best of luck!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Why would you ever bring your iPad to wally world? If you can afford an iPad im sure you can afford a pen/paper to write down your list. Ugh i do feel sorry for you dear friend. I hope surfing the internet in wal-mart on your iPad was worth it :(

Yeah, no offense, but why an iPad for a shopping list???:eek:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What's with the whole comment about walmart being in a bad neighborhood "of course"? The only walmarts accessible to me aren't in "bad neighborhoods". As for stolen, no kiddo, you left it behind. Some dishonest person found it and didn't try to find the owner but you left it behind.

As for having it at walmart, I've seen a child walking around with one and her mom at walmart. I wouldn't want to have to deal with carrying it myself, but that's just me being lazy. I don't care what people do but don't leave something behind and say it was stolen.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
If Apple flagged it then it'll show up eventually. Best of luck!

This is a common misconception. Find a thread or a news article where Apple confiscated a product and returned it to the original owner due to it being "flagged" - it hasn't happened.

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
I can see why people would take it to walmart... but I don't see how someone could forget it in a cart! Yes, it really sucks you left it behind, but it wasn't stolen. Whenever I have an expensive device with me I am always making sure it's still there. Sorry for your loss, what an expensive lesson learned.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
uhh.. they do have grocery list apps!! DUHH

different strokes for different folks. if i was going to keep a grocery list electronically, i'd store it on something smaller and easier to hold like a phone.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
It becomes a felony if they try to sell it. Knowingly passing off goods that don't belong to them.

Anyhoo, sucks to be you. You should look after your **** in future, this should serve as a good lesson for you.

venusian

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
don't get your hopes up if they use wifi and you track it....my friend has his stolen (from his hotel room, while he was asleep/passed out) in the US last month. Even though he could give the police the exact location - for a few days straight - they refused to do anything about it unless there was a weapon involved....so hopefully your insurance comes through

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Sorry to hear that. I use my phone for any shopping list. I see women all the time leaving their purses in shopping carts while shopping(not paying attention) and shake my head.

I definite wouldn't want to be walking around a store in a bad neighborhood with one.

As for renters insurance depending on if you have a deductible you may be better off just buying one and not filing a claim.

jrmines12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
So we have a small bit of an interesting update, probably not helpful at all really. I had photo streaming turned on for both my ipad and iphone so they would automatically sync pictures from both devices. Turns out the thief took a picture in what appears to be photo booth, the thermal setting but it looks like part of the camera was covered by his hand. So I have a picture of him, not the greatest quality but nonetheless him. Tried syncing it to my computer to see if the iPad geotagged it but no such luck. Don't think there is much else I can do and I imagine its already been reformatted by now. Just thought I'd let you all know.

Atothendrew24

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Arizona
This is a common misconception. Find a thread or a news article where Apple confiscated a product and returned it to the original owner due to it being "flagged" - it hasn't happened.

They do, however, notify the police. I don't believe that they have the abily to confiscate the item themselves, but if you have a police report, you'll get it back.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
They do, however, notify the police. I don't believe that they have the abily to confiscate the item themselves, but if you have a police report, you'll get it back.

You're confusing 2 separate issues. Apple does not notify the police. The police report doesn't even come into play. Posts like this continue the myth and give a false sense of hope.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2526

Like I wrote before, find an article or a happy poster where Apple contacted the police as you wrote.

Think about how many iPads and iPhones have been stolen in recent years. If this urban legend actually is true, you'd see many stories on it.

Last edited:

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
So we have a small bit of an interesting update, probably not helpful at all really. I had photo streaming turned on for both my ipad and iphone so they would automatically sync pictures from both devices. Turns out the thief took a picture in what appears to be photo booth, the thermal setting but it looks like part of the camera was covered by his hand. So I have a picture of him, not the greatest quality but nonetheless him. Tried syncing it to my computer to see if the iPad geotagged it but no such luck. Don't think there is much else I can do and I imagine its already been reformatted by now. Just thought I'd let you all know.

Can you post this up somewhere? It might be possible to reverse the thermal colour effect (probably only to black + white, but that's still better than rainbow ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.