• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
52,534
14,237


Schematics stolen from Apple supplier Quanta Computer outline Apple's plans for the next-generation MacBook Pro models that are expected in 2021, and clearly confirm plans for additional ports and a return to MagSafe.

Ports-2021-MacBook-Pro-Mockup-Feature-1-copy.jpg

MacRumors saw the schematics after they were leaked online, and some of them feature the logic board of the next-generation MacBook Pro. On the right side of the machine, there's a visible HDMI port, accompanied by a USB-C/Thunderbolt port and followed by an SD Card reader. The left side features two additional USB-C/Thunderbolt ports and a MagSafe charging slot, for a total of three USB-C/Thunderbolt ports instead of four as we have today.

Rumors from Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Bloomberg have previously said that all of these ports will be coming to the 2021 MacBook Pro models, but the schematics both confirm the addition of the new ports and give us insight into their positioning.

The codename for the Mac is "J316," which suggests that the logic board that we've seen is for the 16-inch MacBook Pro. There's also a "J314" model that likely correlates to the 14-inch MacBook Pro that Apple is also rumored to be working on. Both machines are expected to feature the new ports, MagSafe charging option, and upgraded Apple silicon chips.

This information, which was also shared by 9to5Mac, comes from a ransomware group called REvil, which claims to have accessed the internal computers of Apple supplier Quanta Computer.

Along with the logic board layout, the documentation includes deeply technical listings of MacBook components and layouts that may ultimately provide additional information on these machines as it's parsed. Leaked images of the new MacBook Pro floating around on Twitter also confirm that the device will not feature a Touch Bar, which is in line with rumors that we've heard. The casing design may also feature more rounded corners.

REvil has threatened to release additional documents stolen from Quanta Computer if Apple does not pay a ransom fee by May 1. REvil plans to release new files every day until Apple pays the fee, and Apple has not commented on the situation.

Quanta Computer said that it has indeed been subject to "cyber attacks on a small number of Quanta servers" but that there's "no material impact on the company's business operation.

Article Link: Stolen MacBook Pro Schematics Confirm Apple's Plans to Add More Ports and Remove Touch Bar
 
Last edited:

Anson_431

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
185
483
Why are you posting stolen information?
Yeah I feel as conflicted as well. To be fair, leaks and previous "new information from supply sources" are equally wrong given they also breach NDAs, which one would be legally liable to subsequent consequences. Yet at the same time, it's not everyday we get to learn more about upcoming products to such detail unless it was done by established researchers.

But I totally agree with you. MacRumors should really not report on this case, PARTICULARLY when they are asking for a ransom.

This article is just wrong.:confused:

*Edit: I orginally phrased it as "equally illegal given they also breach the NDAs", which was not exactly delivering what I meant. Regardless, what I meant was breaching an NDA is just not a good idea at all, and ethically wrong as well. Hope that clarifies any misunderstandings.
 
Last edited:
Comment

Woyly

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
53
43
NJ
I don’t see MagSafe coming back tho. Like if usb c ports can be used to charge still then why change it just to not get tripped over by mistake? Maybe a MagSafe to usb c cable as an option?
 
  • Like
Reactions: G5isAlive
Comment

minivini

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
83
65


Schematics stolen from Apple supplier Quanta Computer outline Apple's plans for the next-generation MacBook Pro models that are expected in 2021, and clearly confirm plans for additional ports and a return to MagSafe.

Ports-2021-MacBook-Pro-Mockup-Feature-1-copy.jpg

MacRumors saw the schematics after they were leaked online, and some of them feature the logic board of the next-generation MacBook Pro. On the right side of the machine, there's a visible HDMI port, accompanied by a USB-C/Thunderbolt port and followed by an SD Card reader. The left side features two additional USB-C/Thunderbolt ports and a MagSafe charging slot, for a total of three USB-C/Thunderbolt ports instead of four as we have today.

Rumors from Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Bloomberg have previously said that all of these ports will be coming to the 2021 MacBook Pro models, but the schematics both confirm the addition of the new ports and give us insight into their positioning.

The codename for the Mac is "J316," which suggests that the logic board that we've seen is for the 16-inch MacBook Pro. There's also a "J314" model that likely correlates to the 14-inch MacBook Pro that Apple is also rumored to be working on. Both machines are expected to feature the new ports, MagSafe charging option, and upgraded Apple silicon chips.

This information, which was also shared by 9to5Mac, comes from a ransomware group called REvil, which claims to have accessed the internal computers of Apple supplier Quanta Computer.

Along with the logic board layout, the documentation includes deeply technical listings of MacBook components and layouts that may ultimately provide additional information on these machines as it's parsed.

REvil has threatened to release additional documents stolen from Quanta Computer if Apple does not pay a ransom fee by May 1. REvil plans to release new files every day until Apple pays the fee, and Apple has not commented on the situation.

Quanta Computer said that it has indeed been subject to "cyber attacks on a small number of Quanta servers" but that there's "no material impact on the company's business operation.

Article Link: Stolen MacBook Pro Schematics Confirm Apple's Plans to Add More Ports
Would be awesome if Apple took the stolen files and simply published themselves. Minus the personal info, obviously. That e we hold rake the teethe out of these garbage humans pretty quickly.
 
Comment

cateye

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
78
208
MacRumors isn't Apple's unpaid security squad. If there's something worthy of being published, they should publish it in accordance with their usual editorial guidelines and priorities. You'll note they didn't post the actual schematics, they used them to confirm previously (widely) reported rumors.

The pearl-clutchers can just close their eyes real tight when scrolling past this article.
 
Comment

DesertDrummer

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
16
74
Phoenix, AZ
Is it newsworthy? Yes. So I understand why MacRumors would feel motivated to post this.

However, at the same time, doesn't posting this serve the criminals' purposes of adding pressure to pay the ransom? I feel that it may not be ethical to post this for that reason. If the ransom were not involved, I would feel differently. But you are indirectly assisting a criminal action with this, aren't you?
 
Comment

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
2,028
4,822
USB C is the best thing to happen to device charging in decades.

I absolutely DO NOT WANT to return to proprietary chargers and connectors. Apple, hope the Magsafe is optional and this will remain chargeable from a USB C port.

Why not both? Those that want to use magsafe could use the new magsafe port, others that want to keep charging via usb-c, just use your usb-c adapter.

Win/win.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.