Stolen Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brooklynmacman, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Brooklynmacman macrumors newbie

So, I'm new to this forum and need some advice.

I purchased a macbook pro yesterday from a person on craigslist. Before purchasing I asked him for the serial number in order to check it with Apple. He gave it to me, and I called Apple. I wanted to make sure it was not stolen, or had any other issues.

The representative I spoke with at Applecare informed me that the computer was purchased about 1 month prior, and had not been flagged for any reason. She also informed me that the computer had not been registered, and had no notes whatsoever. She told me that I should have no problems. Feeling confident that I was making a safe purchase, I met the seller a local coffee shop and bought the computer. I then took the computer home and registered it via the Apple website.

Today I was having some issues with screen flicker. I decided to make an appointment at the Apple store with the Genius bar. To make a long story short, after running the serial number, the Genius guy informed me that the computer had been stolen from another Apple store and called his manager! The manager said he would need to keep the computer, and said I would be contacted from the theft/loss division. I was in total shock! I explained what happened, and he was sensitive to the situation, but said his hands were tied.

I then called Applecare back and explained what happened. The rep ran the serial number again, and said it had no notes/flags. He also informed me that he had no way of telling if computer was stolen. Feeling sick to my stomach, I asked him how this could be. He had no good explanation. He gave me a case number and noted everything I had told him. He told me to call back Monday morning.

Does anybody know why Applecare telephone support had no record of the theft, and why they informed me the computer was safe. Also, why would the store have record of it being stolen, but not Applecare? I feel totally mislead by Apple. I'm out about 1700, and am having a hard time not feeling really angry. Does anybody have any advice on what to do?

I plan on filing a police report tomorrow, but don't see anything coming of it.

What a great Easter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Save any and all information you have about the seller. Emails, phone numbers etc. Perhaps you know the area he lives if you met him somewhere he suggested so you can maybe see if there is any camera footage of the perp. Good luck. Sucks this happened in nyc i assume. Ive had thousans ripped off from me in the past year. Those people (criminals) just have no conscious.

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Wow!
    All I can say is, never trust Craigslist unless you absolutely need to.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

good luck bro ... hope you get to the bottom of it

5. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I think that this story is bunk. No way the Apple store knows it's stolen when Apple Care doesn't.

6. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Apple is normally good about these types of things. They always want to make their customers happy. They might give you a brand new laptop, as I've seen this happen before. But the fact that they had no records of a stolen MacBook is strange.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Apple doesn't keep records of stolen Macs with AppleCare. Many people have called and asked and been told that. Just because the rep you talked to was willing to look in the file doesn't mean that they didn't already know they wouldn't find anything.

Most likely, the communication between the Apple Stores about the stolen machine was direct communication between managers. Here in my area, several local service centers have been sharing information about Macs stolen from them and from the local tech school. Most likely they simply were told by the other store that computers with specific serial numbers had been stolen and to keep an eye out in case they were brought in for service.

Apple also doesn't owe you anything, but you can see if they would be willing to help you. Your only legal recourse is to go after the thief who sold you the computer.

jW

8. ViviUO macrumors 6502

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Because they're a lot more expensive? :confused:

10. Wanderer509 macrumors member

sorry to hear this, i would be devastated as well!

i bought my new MBP off craigslist, but only because he had the receipt, and the book was sealed in box. i promptly checked all the serial number and all matched up (the one on the receipt, the one on the box, n the one etched on to the body of the mbp).

in the end though, buying off craiglist is risky at times. i hope everything is resolved and all is well soon!

11. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

?????

Why did you let the Apple Genius "confiscate" the thing? Who the hell are they to determine if a macbook is stolen or not? That's up to law enforcement.

I'd have just left my contact info and left... taking *my* MBP with me.

12. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Seriously?

On a more related note, a friend had a very similar issue here in Spain. However here in Europe we have the European Institute of Consumers (translated from Spanish) and its National version. He contacted the national institue and they immediately called him two days later that they fixed the issue and Apple mailed him a brand new laptop to his house.

I don't really know about American organizations of this kind but you should look into it. And if there really are none, if it were me, I would not stop at filing a police report, and would have a serious talk with several Apple employees until they recognize I am right. Even if it takes making a scene at a mainstream Apple store.

Good luck.

ah, edit. I also agree with the post above. Why did you just let them keep it in the first place? If it were up to me, the minimum they'd have to do is call the police. I don't care, I didn't steal it and I'm taking it home with me. But then again, maybe I am just very strict when it comes to being dealt with as a customer.

13. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Frankly, I'd demand from that store manager that he prove to you, in writing, that the system is stolen.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I think that the police report will cover that

15. HelloPanda macrumors member

I've bought and sold on craigslist and look at me, I'm still AIDS free.

16. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

The Apple Genius would have the OP's information and would contact the police and make the statement that the OP was in possession of a stolen laptop. That in itself is a crime so the OP did the smart thing and left the laptop at the store.

17. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

My rule of thumb is buy on ebay, sell on craigslist

18. mac jones macrumors 68040

Wow, what a horrible story :(

Sorry. I hope it works out.

19. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

My rule is: Avoide eBay & Craiglist :p

20. Smoothness macrumors regular

I agree you would have to pry that computer from my dead fingers if u think u gonna take it from me. Call the cops. I will break all computers on way out and run.

21. shansoft macrumors 6502

Now this post just worries me.

I have purchased the 2200 dollar model for 1950 on ebay.

I guess I have to walk to the apple store to check..:(

22. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

OP, sorry about this.

SO moral of the story for rest of us is ONLY buy if product is registered w/ apple.

23. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

From ebay youre fine, you have the buyers info and paypal protection etc.

24. Brooklynmacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone

So, I'm hoping something positive will come of this situation. I'm waiting anxiously to speak with customer relations tomorrow morning. Apple seriously needs to get there stuff together. I know other companies...i.e. verizon and sprint have databases that accurately track stolen phones. I recently called verizon and checked the serial number of a iphone 4 that I was potentially going to buy off an individual on craigslist. They informed me very clearly to not purchase the phone. I didn't.

Point # 1. I don't understand what is so hard in having some sort of database to keep track of macs. We all know that Apple has some very intelligent people working for their company....after all, they call themselves geniuses! There must be some way to protect the customer, and keep dibs on their machines.

Point # 2. Why didn't the customer service reps, just say that the purchase would be at my own risk. I have spoken to multiple reps, and have never been told the information that I have since discovered. I would have never risked my hard earned cash, if I had any inkling about the computer being stolen. I have bought 2 other macs on craigslist, and went through the same procedure. For all I know, my other two computers are also stolen!!! I am trying not to freak out!

While I agree that craigslist has some losers, it is in many ways a great way to buy and sell things. I have been using craigslist for many years, and have had many good experiences. As we all know macs are not cheap, and saving a few hundred dollars here or there really helps.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone.

25. Snesley Wipes macrumors regular

Apple is the one who stole the laptop! This is a criminal matter which must be settled by a formal judiciary system before the laptop can be considered stolen. Apple is the criminal in this case because they took it from you. Just because they have a record of "lost/stolen" merchandise does not empower them in ANY way to retrieve the merchandise without government mediation. If I were you, I would demand they return or replace the laptop they took from you or call the police and tell them the employee stole it from you.
    Snes