Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
let us know how this turns out!! curious to see what your local apple store and apple does!

Latt SD

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
I'm actually glad the store did something. I had my MacBook Air recently stolen from me on a trip. It's nice to know that if the thief was stupid enough to take it into the store or sold it to someone else, that the store would confiscate it and I might possibly get my laptop back.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm actually glad the store did something. I had my MacBook Air recently stolen from me on a trip. It's nice to know that if the thief was stupid enough to take it into the store or sold it to someone else, that the store would confiscate it and I might possibly get my laptop back.

no, they wouldn't. they would only confiscate it if it was stolen from them directly, because they would know 100% for sure that that is the case.

i could easily sell you a computer and report it stolen. make $ and once you go to Apple for repairs get it back...

but back to the original story. technically they could confiscate the laptop as it's apple's property however, they would need a police report. if they wanted to confiscate it right there and then, i'd tell them to call the police and have them file a report. i would not have left

kazakh

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
no, they wouldn't. they would only confiscate it if it was stolen from them directly, because they would know 100% for sure that that is the case.

i could easily sell you a computer and report it stolen. make $ and once you go to Apple for repairs get it back...

but back to the original story. technically they could confiscate the laptop as it's apple's property however, they would need a police report. if they wanted to confiscate it right there and then, i'd tell them to call the police and have them file a report. i would not have left

i think that's what Apple thinks indeed. I had a laptop stolen a few weeks ago, called Apple to see if they can flag it as stolen and was told that Apple does not do it. (specifically for that reason - a person might sell it to someone and report it stolen to make money.

Personally, this does not make much sense to me because catching stolen laptops would occur much more often than people trying to scam others with selling and then reporting.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I hate people who post like this, ever heard of innocent until proven guilty?

He's just in error :D

It's a true story, I believe. Apparently, Apple Care doesn't record this, yet I could see how inter-store communication could record this.

The question, might be: was the Apple store going by Apple's corporate policies, or was this a managerial decision, and would that be backed by Apple. In other words, Can you get this reversed by pleading to Apple that the store was out of line?

Or more to the point; can you get $$$? :D

noogin

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
I refuse to buy anything used that is expensive. If you have an American Express card, buy all new electronics with that. Comes with purchase protection plan. Meaning, they cover theft up to 90 days and also extends your original manufacturer warranty for 1 year. Quite awesome.

Al Coholic

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Under the I-470 Freeway
The Apple Genius would have the OP's information and would contact the police and make the statement that the OP was in possession of a stolen laptop. That in itself is a crime so the OP did the smart thing and left the laptop at the store.

LOL!

Since when do snot-nosed Apple Geniuses decide what is a crime? A retailer has the authority to confiscate a customer's goods? Dude, what planet you from? "Posession" is 9/10ths the law here in the U.S. The onus is on Apple to prove otherwise to the authorities and until then… the macbook stays with the OP.

Point # 2. Why didn't the customer service reps, just say that the purchase would be at my own risk.
Do you know how ridiculous your comment sounds? Why would you expect Apple to nursemaid you through a purchase like this? "Buyer beware" is the law of the land here in the U.S. when dealing with third parties. Your mistake was allowing the Apple store to take *your* macbook until *they* prove it isn't yours. Go back and get it. And… if and when it's proven to be stolen. Live and learn.

sbbluewater

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
"Buyer Beware" Not sure why the Apple employee said they had to keep your MBP. That does not seem right. Good luck to you in getting it resolved. I avoid Craigs list and E-Bay because of this type of thing. I would rather pay more and get from an Authorized source and know that it is a legit source.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
That Sucks, good luck as it never pays to deal with Craigslist, I never have and never will, also dealing with some folks on eBay lately is getting on my nerves.

Looking at Refurb MBP on Apple, still a good deal in any case.

Sterkur

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Video surveillance in store

I had to register to add this. :)

If it was stolen from an Apple Store they must have a fairly decent idea when that did happen and then have security tapes from the date(s). If you could identify the thief from those tapes you should at least be being reimbursed by keeping 'your' computer or better yet with a new one from Apple. That sounds fair to me.

As others have said, I think you should have kept the computer when you brought it in. I think you're gonna have a hard time getting it back now as you have no way of proofing your ownership.

On a sidenote as I don't live in the US; would it help or even be ethical when buying off Craigslist to request to get a copy/take photo of the sellers ID?

I hope you either get your money back or new computer.

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I had to register to add this. :)
On a sidenote as I don't live in the US; would it help or even be ethical when buying off Craigslist to request to get a copy/take photo of the sellers ID?

Excellent idea! there is nothing making that illegal in the United States. Of course, ethics is a different question, which, hey, let's face is, has little to do with legality in the US. LOL. I think it is a perfectly acceptable thing to ask for from the seller.

As for the OP and their computer. Return to the store and ask for either your computer or a copy of the police report Apple filed when it was stolen. At a very minimum, you must have one of those items. If they don't produce them, then you have recourse to pursue action.

Amerabian

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2011
I've put myself in your shoes, and darn, it feels so bad to be in your shoes!

Now, let's get to work..

I'm waiting anxiously to speak with customer relations tomorrow morning.

Have you spoken to Apple's Customer Relations Department?
What was their response?

I don't see you posted anything yet, have they gotten back to you with a positive answer?
----

I suggest you also get back to the Apple Store where your MBP was taken from you.
1. Ask to see the manager and demand a written and signed document which proves that he indeed took a MBP from you with the serial number # ******

2. Call Apple's Customer Relations Dept. and ask for a case number and a name, fax them the written document.

3. If the manager refused to give you a document. Tell Customer relations that the manager REFUSED to give you any document stating that he confiscated the MBP.

4. DO NOT WORRY, you will get a MacBook Pro back at the very least. (READ AGAIN).

Now let me explain to you what happened.

The manager at the store (where the MBP was stolen from, let's call it store A) lost a MBP for, as the company sees it, his lack of implementing their policies. Therefore, he would not EVER call the upper managment and tell them (Hey, I am the manager and I lost one of your laptops..) That's like a call for a bad spot on his record. If he's new, or has had stuff stolen from his store before, he might get fired.

So, manager at "Store A" calls the other managers in the area and tells them to keep an eye for a stolen MBP with the serial number# *****

They work it on their level as means of sticking up together to please the upper management.

You took the laptop to "Store B" and the manager commits another FAULT (actually, A CRIME) by confiscating YOUR laptop (trying to save his buddy).

All you have to do is: FOLLOW UP ON THIS! This is not a joke for the upper management in Apple. In fact, it might open their eyes for a lot of corruption going on among these managers.

Apple WILL 100% GIVE YOU A MBP BACK.

All you have to do is stand your ground, and FOLLOW UP ON THIS UNTIL IT'S RESOLVED.

Best of luck to you, ;)

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Now let me explain to you what happened.

The manager at the store (where the MBP was stolen from, let's call it store A) lost a MBP for, as the company sees it, his lack of implementing their policies. Therefore, he would not EVER call the upper managment and tell them (Hey, I am the manager and I lost one of your laptops..) That's like a call for a bad spot on his record. If he's new, or has had stuff stolen from his store before, he might get fired.

So, manager at "Store A" calls the other managers in the area and tells them to keep an eye for a stolen MBP with the serial number# *****

They work it on their level as means of sticking up together to please the upper management.

You took the laptop to "Store B" and the manager commits another FAULT (actually, A CRIME) by confiscating YOUR laptop (trying to save his buddy).

All you have to do is: FOLLOW UP ON THIS! This is not a joke for the upper management in Apple. In fact, it might open their eyes for a lot of corruption going on among these managers.

Apple WILL 100% GIVE YOU A MBP BACK.

All you have to do is stand your ground, and FOLLOW UP ON THIS UNTIL IT'S RESOLVED.

Best of luck to you, ;)

This post is a bunch of nonsense.

The laptop still belongs to Apple. They are simply holding their laptop. There is no "fault" in store B, and absolutely no crime. The laptop has from the beginning been property of Apple. It doesn't matter if OP bought it, the transaction wasn't valid because it wasn't the thief's to sell.

(Don't see this post as being down on the OP though. There is no way the OP could have known, OP did his best, and I hope it works out.)

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
This post is a bunch of nonsense.

The laptop still belongs to Apple. They are simply holding their laptop. There is no "fault" in store B, and absolutely no crime. The laptop has from the beginning been property of Apple. It doesn't matter if OP bought it, the transaction wasn't valid because it wasn't the thief's to sell.

(Don't see this post as being down on the OP though. There is no way the OP could have known, OP did his best, and I hope it works out.)

Oh cool, so i can go around "confiscating" computers in my neighborhood without giving any written proof to those I'm taking them from? Sweet gonna go on a little spree tonight thanks for the legal advice

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Oh cool, so i can go around "confiscating" computers in my neighborhood without giving any written proof to those I'm taking them from? Sweet gonna go on a little spree tonight thanks for the legal advice

If it's your computer, sure. If someone stole your computer, and you found it with the thief, would you just take it back, or would you sit down, nicely provide written proof, talk nicely to the thief, etc etc? It's Apple's computer. They don't need to be polite about it at all.

For all the Apple Store knew, OP was the thief. If they handed it back they might never see him again.

Of course, Apple is doing this full well knowing that if it's not Apple's computer, they could get sued. Which is why it is more than likely Apple's computer.

OP should probably contact police, but in all honesty, if it is Apple's computer, they did nothing wrong here.

upbraid

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2011
This is either:

A-fake story

B-you got scammed by 'geniuses'. They can't take it back without law enforcement there to provide you with paper work (they can ask, but you are not obligated to give to them without a cop present). I've seen retail stores using this kind of tactic to cover their own butts after the managers 'reshuffle' inventory.

far4477

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
If it's your computer, sure. If someone stole your computer, and you found it with the thief, would you just take it back, or would you sit down, nicely provide written proof, talk nicely to the thief, etc etc? It's Apple's computer. They don't need to be polite about it at all.

For all the Apple Store knew, OP was the thief. If they handed it back they might never see him again.

Of course, Apple is doing this full well knowing that if it's not Apple's computer, they could get sued. Which is why it is more than likely Apple's computer.

OP should probably contact police, but in all honesty, if it is Apple's computer, they did nothing wrong here.

Nothing wrong morally. The fact that the computer was stolen doesn't give the guy at genius bar the right to just take the laptop off the OP. Apple is not an enforcement force, they can't confiscate things.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010

But reality is the law doesnt care if youre mad that your comp got stolen. Im not saying its fair, but you have to provide some sort of proof before you go around all butch cassidy taking back your property, even apple.

Yes they did do something wrong. Not taking the computer back, but taking it back without providing proof. THAT is the issue here

I had my 3500 dollar guitar stolen from my car a few months ago amongst other things. The thief posted it on craigslist and there was nothing the cops could do about it because I could not prove that it was my guitar just based on the cl ad. Fair? Hell no. Did i try to trick the thief into meeting me so i could pistol whip him and take my guitar back? Yu bet. Hope you get the point

Criticalmass

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2011
Everywhere
This is either:

A-fake story

B-you got scammed by 'geniuses'. They can't take it back without law enforcement there to provide you with paper work (they can ask, but you are not obligated to give to them without a cop present). I've seen retail stores using this kind of tactic to cover their own butts after the managers 'reshuffle' inventory.

He didn't get scammed, but he does have the right to demand some kind of proof, usually in the form of the store having reported it stolen, and yes, he could have walked out of there with his macbook pro if they were unable to provide that proof, which is what I would have done.

He made a mistake, and now that they have the macbook pro back, he will not be getting it back, as he doesn't have a valid bill of sale to show that he paid for it. So, he's SOL now.

That being said, if they COULD prove it, then they could also turn around and charge him for receiving stolen goods.

In any case, he is SOL. His only recourse is to contact the police, file the report, and start saving up money again because he's not getting that macbook back and he's also not going to get the money back for it from the seller, unless they are truly stupid enough to still have the money and then return it to the police..

The story is also not fake, I've read and seen others go through this same exact thing. OCCASIONALLY the store will end up giving the person a free macbook pro, but man that is RARE. Usually the customer is just out his money because receiving stolen goods whether you knew or suspected them of being stolen or not is still a crime.

His best bet is to file a complaint with apple stating that the store did not provide proof to him that it was stolen, and also advising the police department of this so that they can verify all of the information from all parties involved.

Last edited:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
But reality is the law doesnt care if youre mad that your comp got stolen. Im not saying its fair, but you have to provide some sort of proof before you go around all butch cassidy taking back your property, even apple.

No, you don't have to provide any proof. Why should you need to provide proof to take your own computer?

However, if it wasn't Apple's, then Apple is guilty of theft. Which is why the police should be involved.

Yes they did do something wrong. Not taking the computer back, but taking it back without providing proof. THAT is the issue here

They don't have to provide proof if it's their computer. Would it be nice? Yes. But they have no obligation to do so.

I had my 3500 dollar guitar stolen from my car a few months ago amongst other things. The thief posted it on craigslist and there was nothing the cops could do about it because I could not prove that it was my guitar just based on the cl ad. Fair? Hell no. Did i try to trick the thief into meeting me so i could pistol whip him and take my guitar back? Yu bet. Hope you get the point

Ok... kind of not the same analogy. But if you did find your guitar, you could take it back without having to be all nicey nicey about it. You don't have to ask the thief's permission to take your guitar back. That would just be stupid.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Interesting

After reading some of these very insightful posts (not kidding actually :D ),

I've come to belief that this store manager acted rashly and not inline with Apple policies. As some one mentioned, they are not a police force.

Thinking about it, it's sort of unbelievable that the manger could have made such a stupid mistake that could get both Apple and himself in serious legal trouble.

Sue them. :D

far4477

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
No, you don't have to provide any proof. Why should you need to provide proof to take your own computer?

However, if it wasn't Apple's, then Apple is guilty of theft. Which is why the police should be involved.

They don't have to provide proof if it's their computer. Would it be nice? Yes. But they have no obligation to do so.

Ok... kind of not the same analogy. But if you did find your guitar, you could take it back without having to be all nicey nicey about it. You don't have to ask the thief's permission to take your guitar back. That would just be stupid.

You are either trolling, really stupid or a preteen.

Following your way of thinking, if you think something is yours you can LEGALLY take it off someone without having the need of showing any kind of proof that the thing is actually yours.

Can I come to your house and take your tv later? It's mine.

Oh, don't call the police, I don't need to show any evidence. It's mine because I said so.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

I believe you may be mistaken. I don't know the law particularly, but I'm siding with the other (correct) group :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.