Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I think it's the most hideous beautifully made watch. The straps are more impressive to me than the watch itself. They were correct in making it a fashion item first and foremost. Bravo - too bad it's still ugly. They made it square with round edges, it should have been the other way around. All this talk of Jony obsessing over centuries of watch design and he made it square?

They probably have a good reason, and that reason is probably that text doesn't fit well into a round screen. It'd be nice if Apple did this sort of candid type of reasoning with the press as Steve sometimes did.

I remember seeing Tim defend the smallness of the iPhone screen a few years ago, but it seemed ingenuous.

Last edited:

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Seriously dont get this thing that a watch has to be round to be nice....i've got three watches at home of which 2 are square!! There are thousands of square watches out there already made by long standing watch manufacturers!

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
You may want to reconsider. (Yes, I keep posting those real-life pics of the Moto 360 because too many people are getting their impression from the render alone.)

Looks fine to me:
DSCF4532-2040.0.jpg

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
^ I do agree that the black version looks significantly better but it's still rather bulky on the wrist especially given that they do not offer a smaller size for women.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Because your Timberland, Camel Active, Gant, Armani, etc isn't better. In fact all those are citizen (myiota) watches in drag, but 100x overpriced. You're welcome, and this is watch buff's baptism.

Seriously, such negativity... I only see the Internet flooded with comments from people who know -1 of watches, from people that never have seen anything else besides rendered pic's.

Blah blah blah, thick, blah, blah, blah, too curvy...

It's thick because it has a battery on it, it's even thinner than a modern diver watch like the Rolex submariener, or most chronometers.

It's curvy because watches were functional before being CAD renderings, it's curvy because curvy looks natural and is in fact confortable in the skin. Do you want to take out your watch and see marks on your skin?

I want to go back in time to a place where people didn't have phones at all, and knew what a watch was!

Seriously, go get something else, it's a personal preference, after all...

We all know that you are angry because a) it's not anonymous and blank like some others, but mostly b) it's both a gadget and a fashion item, and you want to have that gadget, because you're a gadget nerd that has all the latest gadgets, but you aren't acceptant/tolerant to fashion and your sense of effemerity is dictated in periods of 12 months, when a newer version, with double the specs comes out, not when you don't identify anymore with the object.

I'll stick with my $10 walmart special. Works reliably. Battery lasts about a decade on one charge. And it fits under my sleeve. And does everything the Apple watch could do if you didn't have some other device feeding it information.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I have to agree with those saying it's ugly. I was anticipating Apple to step into this field and blow the competition with a sexy round watch that had killer functionality. They didn't. This just means to me that the smartwatch market is just a fad and no one really has a concrete reason for owning them. It's a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Looks fine to me:

on large wrists they will look okay but will still look too big in person.

46mm with thin bezel is really HUGE in watch terms and is only seen in cheap, gaudy fashion watches (which is what the Moto 360 is competing against).

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I have to agree with those saying it's ugly. I was anticipating Apple to step into this field and blow the competition with a sexy round watch that had killer functionality. They didn't. This just means to me that the smartwatch market is just a fad and no one really has a concrete reason for owning them. It's a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

It's because, even Apple are throwing crap at the fan and seeing what sticks.

The public are not going around screaming if only I had a smart watch.

We wanted tablets for decades, we'd seen them on Star Trek for decades, a decent sized screen, thin computer you could watch films on, play games and do simple things, internet etc.

The public lapped them up, as like hoverboots, we wanted such things for many many years.

There is not the same WANT for a watch

People now use watches for fashion, or some cheap thing when working or sports to tell the time, and perhaps for the sporting types some basic monitoring of stats.

The Apple watch COULD after the fuss, end up as a very niche product.

I suspect many will wait and see.
Many WILL but, but again, I suspect a fair percent will end up as a novelty device for a while and they will get fed up wearing the thing as it dawns on them, hey I've got my phone on me anyway!

I'm sure there is a future for these things, but I don't think anyone really knows yet, and again I'm not sure the public mostly know why they really want one either, apart from sports fans and people who just love toys.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I suspect a fair percent will end up as a novelty device for a while and they will get fed up wearing the thing as it dawns on them, hey I've got my phone on me anyway!

I am hoping that eventually the watch will replace the phone. So instead of carrying my iPad and iPhone, I'll be able to carry only my iPad and wear the watch. The phone is the gadget I use the least, so if its functions could be shrunk into the watch then that will make me very happy. It's true the Apple Watch that was just announced isn't there yet, but that's where I hope smart watches wil go in the future.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I am hoping that eventually the watch will replace the phone. So instead of carrying my iPad and iPhone, I'll be able to carry only my iPad and wear the watch. The phone is the gadget I use the least, so if its functions could be shrunk into the watch then that will make me very happy. It's true the Apple Watch that was just announced isn't there yet, but that's where I hope smart watches wil go in the future.

Holds wrist up to mouth, can you hear me now? Moves wrist to ear, oops missed it, moves wrist back to mouth, can you repeat? Quickly moves wrist back to ear... Yea, that's better ;)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Holds wrist up to mouth, can you hear me now? Moves wrist to ear, oops missed it, moves wrist back to mouth, can you repeat? Quickly moves wrist back to ear... Yea, that's better ;)

No need, if you did hold the watch to your ear to hear, then it would be near enough to your mouth to pick up what you say.

Speaker location on the watch would be the only real issue to address so that held up to your ear, the speaker would be pointing towards your ear

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Terrible looking watch. For the price too? Definitely a no-go. The Moto 360 is the best looking smartwatch out right now, hands down. But also for them, $250 is a no-go

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

No need, if you did hold the watch to your ear to hear, then it would be near enough to your mouth to pick up what you say.

Speaker location on the watch would be the only real issue to address so that held up to your ear, the speaker would be pointing towards your ear

Bluetooth headset.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You may want to reconsider. (Yes, I keep posting those real-life pics of the Moto 360 because too many people are getting their impression from the render alone.)
Its bigger, but I still like that look over the apple watch.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I don't really think it's ugly per se, but it's very generic and not Apple-esque. You could slap an LG logo on that thing and anyone would believe it.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't really think it's ugly per se, but it's very generic and not Apple-esque. You could slap an LG logo on that thing and anyone would believe it.

The thing is.

You could show people on these forums the Apple watch a month ago, with a LG or Samsung Logo on it, and they would mostly say, OMG how fat and ugly is that thing.... ha ha ha... You just wait till you see the sleek thing Apple with be showing in a few weeks time, it will blow that away.

I do wonder how much more the Apple watch will do at launch day.
I kinda suspect there are more things they are planning it to do, but they are not sure if it can be done in time, so wanted to be conservative as it's easy to say it can do more. but it's hard to say it can't do all we showed you.

I'd suggest the hardware is set in stone, but the software and what the sensors can read/display may be enhanced by launch time.

cpuguy18

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011

i agree it doesnt look like an apple product at all.

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
I'll stick with my $10 walmart special. Works reliably. Battery lasts about a decade on one charge. And it fits under my sleeve. And does everything the Apple watch could do if you didn't have some other device feeding it information.

Good for you.

Nobody wants to you to buy an Apple Watch anyway, surprisingly you act like you're obligated to buy one.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Good for you.

Nobody wants to you to buy an Apple Watch anyway, surprisingly you act like you're obligated to buy one.

Weird, I don't recall feeling obligated to buy one. That's why I'll stick with my useful and cheap walmart watch that doesn't have to be charged for many years.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Weird, I don't recall feeling obligated to buy one. That's why I'll stick with my useful and cheap walmart watch that doesn't have to be charged for many years.
Lol u actually use a walmart watch?

Its not a mistake that you are not impressed by the Apple Watch; you are not apple's target customer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.