Stop the Pissing Matches!

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
This place is toxic. The negativity here is insane, I have yet to see that elsewhere, places like Reddit are not like this. I don’t know if it’s lack of moderation but it sure as hell made MR a far less enjoyable place to read up on things.
I agree. I’ve been here a while and I think there’s not enough moderation. They do moderate the most mundane of posts and send you warnings if you even barely cross a questionable line. Yet they leave threads that are clearly fight bait. Don’t get it. Don’t think I ever will.

If I knew of a larger, better community, I would be there in a heartbeat.

Reactions: AreYouIn? and MLVC

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
If everyone will just shut up and agree with me everything will be fine:p.

We can't help it if you have a week stream. ;)

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
www.witenoiz.com
I agree. I’ve been here a while and I think there’s not enough moderation. They do moderate the most mundane of posts and send you warnings if you even barely cross a questionable line. Yet they leave threads that are clearly fight bait. Don’t get it. Don’t think I ever will.

Yeah I've just passed my third anniversary, with this ID anyway, I lost my original one when I changed email providers and forgot my login details. Anyway, there maybe should be a degree of moderation on the endless bitching threads. But what would we be left with? A handful of all is happy happy joy joy, sunny and well posts?

As annoying as it can be sometimes (and some of the really stupid juvenile ones should just be deleted) conflicting opinions is what sparks debate and keeps MR busy. More's the pity. Maybe I'll start a forum for grown-ups :D

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Yeah I've just passed my third anniversary, with this ID anyway, I lost my original one when I changed email providers and forgot my login details. Anyway, there maybe should be a degree of moderation on the endless bitching threads. But what would we be left with? A handful of all is happy happy joy joy, sunny and well posts?

As annoying as it can be sometimes (and some of the really stupid juvenile ones should just be deleted) conflicting opinions is what sparks debate and keeps MR busy. More's the pity. Maybe I'll start a forum for grown-ups :D
With hookers and blackjack?? :)

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Maybe different moderation policies. Right now they don't react/teach/do anything about the users that make endless mind numbingly pointless posts. The posts that always end up trying so many's patience and raising their ire to the point they give a harsher post because the unthinking posters never take advice/learn. Dozens of new post threads, not just dozens of posts. What color, why this color, which memory is faster, is it faster horizontally or vertically, which version/carrier, what color did you get, why did you get your color, what if i return is in 13 or 14 or 15 or 16 days can i keep doing it for a year, what if I get a scratch, what if I don't get a scratch, being incapable of making a simple decision without polling thousands of people, and ignoring their advice, ............................................................

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
www.witenoiz.com
Maybe different moderation policies. Right now they don't react/teach/do anything about the users that make endless mind numbingly pointless posts. The posts that always end up trying so many's patience and raising their ire to the point they give a harsher post because the unthinking posters never take advice/learn. Dozens of new post threads, not just dozens of posts. What color, why this color, which memory is faster, is it faster horizontally or vertically, which version/carrier, what color did you get, why did you get your color, what if i return is in 13 or 14 or 15 or 16 days can i keep doing it for a year, what if I get a scratch, what if I don't get a scratch, being incapable of making a simple decision without polling thousands of people, and ignoring their advice, ............................................................

Erreemmmm, can I just say that I am guilty (as anyone who’s foolish enough to read my posts may attend to) of sometimes writing rather lengthy posts.

When I do though, I do try and make them informative, useful and when possible witty. Or at least that’s what I aim for.

When you’re on as much medication as me, sometimes you just start typing and hit the reply button. Then and only then do you go, ah jeebus, I may have gone a bit far this time.

It’s a curse, I never used to be this bad. I will apologise now for my past digressions and most certainly for my future ones, because there will be some, many or fewer. So to the sensible adults, sorry.

I try, I really do but I’m just not good at achieving the goal of being succinct and to the point.

*Edit*
Er, as this post has demonstrated :D

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
Couldnt agree more. Few times i got an obnoxious snappy „well you should have waited and bought an iPhone X instead“ when asking a question like ....

Reactions: Bethanie21

bdobsonca

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
What else would people do on comment boards, etc without acting this way? If you removed all of the horrible, mean, etc comments I think that takes about 90% of active content. Hiding behind a computer screen makes people act all sorts of horrible ways I really hope they wouldn't in person.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
It’s on both sides, don’t even try saying it’s on one. There are so many threads about why someone is returning there X or why the Plus model is better. I don’t recall seeing one thread which says the X is the best phone and better than the 8. You even tried to slip it into your comment by saying that most want the X just not the current design. Well judging by the demand for each, most people prefer the 7 over the 8 because that 8 isn’t much different. And judging by the lines Friday compared to last month, the X will do just fine.
If someone is returning the X because it's not their preference, how is that "hate"?

nperei

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
no need go after if they like or dislike their iPhone or android. it is people's choice what they choose to be comfortable with it. I alway like to tease my friends if they use android. but I don't force them to get iPhone. just let them have what work best for them or not. Until these people learn about the phone. many people don't use all features they just make phone call or check text for personal reason.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
www.witenoiz.com
It is a bummer. Most of the times I feel like I’m defending my choice which is ridiculous. But what you like and move on. Don’t hate on each other either way.

You shouldn’t have to defend your choice, in fact don’t. It’s your choice, nobody else’s. You get what you want, what your happy with and don’t let anyone try and make you feel like you made a mistake.

Utter nonsense, if you like whatever you’ve bought then that’s all that damn well matters.

MLVC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands

Try Reddit

sjperformance

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Long time member here on Macrumors forums. These forums used to be much better and enjoyable. Nowadays people here criticizing iPhones they use. Color. Screen size. Carrier. Back in the days it was IPhone vs Samsung and what not. All I see here is iPhone vs iPhone. Get a grip people it’s not that serious. I usually get more active on these forums come the release of a new iPhone. Soon I believe my activity on here will diminish till the next iPhone release. I’m 35 years old BTW. Yes I do own an iPhone X. I love to read about 2 things...electronics and watches. That’s why I spend more time on the Rolex Forums I’m a member of. Maturity level on that forum is better and we don’t argue/critic each other on what Rolex watch we wear. Ok enjoy your phones people.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
Bristol, U.K.
I have no idea, you’d have to ask them. A poster told me yesterday the X is a status symbol and users have every right to feel superior.
This is what’s annoying me about MR right now. Yes, I get people are excited about their X, but some are incredibly snobby about it and put those of us with an 8/+ down. I swear, if I hear ‘outdated design’ one more time... :mad: get a grip, it’s a phone. :p

sjperformance

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
This is what’s annoying me about MR right now. Yes, I get people are excited about their X, but some are incredibly snobby about it and put those of us with an 8/+ down. I swear, if I hear ‘outdated design’ one more time... get a grip, it’s a phone.
Exactly. I don’t critic anybody on what iPhone they use. In the end we all love and support a great company that gives US the consumers a great phone and great operating system. Look at the track record for new iOS updates. Even the older iPhones get the newest updates. What other company does that? Instead of arguing we should be a great iPhone Apple community that acknowledges our love for Apple products.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
www.witenoiz.com
This is what’s annoying me about MR right now. Yes, I get people are excited about their X, but some are incredibly snobby about it and put those of us with an 8/+ down. I swear, if I hear ‘outdated design’ one more time... :mad: get a grip, it’s a phone. :p

It’s completely ludicrous. For one thing the design of any device isn’t just one or two differences from its predecessor. It’s everything from the screen to the screws.

I’ve said it before and I’ll probably prattle on about it more. You can’t possibly like the design of the X without liking every iPhone right back to the 6.

They are all, the 6s, 7, 8 and X subtle variations of the design language defined by the iPhone 6. I really don’t get how people can’t see that. These are not vastly different devices when you look at the design as a whole.

If you like the design of the X and not the 8, you’re kidding yourself. Either that or you don’t completely grasp the concept of design as a whole.

Grumble, grumble, hrumph and all of that grumpy stuff.

Last edited: