Store in Cloud problem: Can certain folders be exempted?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by zeropede, Oct 21, 2016.

1. zeropede macrumors newbie

zeropede

The automatic "Store in Cloud" in OSX Sierra is a great feature, and I'd like to keep it, but I'm running into a problem: I work as a video editor and sometimes folders that I need locally get uploaded to the cloud. They're things like textures that the software accesses infrequently, but which I wouldn't know to download until the program malfunctioned after not finding them locally. Does anyone know if there is a way to exempt just certain folders from being automatically archived in the cloud? Possibly with a tag? If not, is there an Apple site to make this a feature request? It seems like a simple enough feature to add.

Thanks for any help!

2. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

I noticed that calling a folder "tmp" makes it ineligible for syncing. Not a good solution for you perhaps but at least gives hope that there are certain rules for exclusion.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

I'd not go near this cloud service with a ten foot pole, but surely files kept outside of your user folder, or on another partition are not synced?

4. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Anything kept out Documents and Desktop isn't synced. It's called Document and Desktop sync.

5. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Thought so, but without proper documentation from Apple it's hard to be sure.
    Too bad I use my desktop to keep temp files I don't ever want to back up.
    They should add a control panel to let you customize the BU choices.
    Might even use it then.