Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Hello everyone!

I've seen it mentioned here and there that you get Leopard with a $99 Student ADC-account. It seems like the cheapest way for me as a student to procure Leopard, and I was wondering if someone could clarify it a bit.

Do you get it downloadable or is it delivered? This is important since I'm not in my home country right now and won't be for a couple of months. I'd like Leopard as soon as possible so I'd have to give my temporary address in case it's delivered. Are there any real differences between the version you get through ADC and the one you can just buy through the Apple Store?

MAcNIAC

Cancelled
Oct 27, 2006
i got tiger when I signed up for student ADC, but it was some weeks after my registration. My membership runs out at the end of October - so I've got my finger's crossed for Leopard.

The version of Tiger I got didnt seem to have the iLife software - just the OS. It could be that it's on the DVD, but installs seperately - i dont know it was the first time i'd installed OS X myself, and I didnt care too much as it was going on my old iBook.

The main advantage of student ADC is the discount - it's 10% cheaper than educ pricing.

Not sure that giving a temp address is going to work for you - Apple sends DVD's of OS X at it's convenience.

I can currently download tiger - not sure if i'll be able to download Leopard after the 26th - first it might not be available to me as a student adc, second - the download sounds HUGE.

My advice is get student ADC if you are also interested in buying some expensive hardware, or if you want the developer DVDs. If it's just to get leopard - save yourself the grief and just pay for it.

Ludde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Over here(or in Sweden for that matter) it's not 10% difference, but almost fifty dollars, which is why I'm considering it.

MAcNIAC

Cancelled
Oct 27, 2006
Over here(or in Sweden for that matter) it's not 10% difference, but almost fifty dollars, which is why I'm considering it.

i meant the discount is 10%cheaper than education pricing on hardware - ie macbook pro is 20% cheaper under ADC than it is in the applestore -- quite substantial:)

Ludde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
i meant the discount is 10%cheaper than education pricing on hardware - ie macbook pro is 20% cheaper under ADC than it is in the applestore -- quite substantial:)

Indeed. Maybe I should save the ADC-card until I get my next Mac. It'll take a while though. I bought my Macbook in January and I don't see it getting old for at least a couple of years ^^

$147 isn't that much for a refined update such as Leopard anyway.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
...The version of Tiger I got didnt seem to have the iLife software - just the OS. It could be that it's on the DVD, but installs seperately - i dont know it was the first time i'd installed OS X myself, and I didnt care too much as it was going on my old iBook...

iLife doesn't come with the OS X install discs. it only comes with new macs on the 2nd restore disc.

a lot of people dont seem to realise this. to be honest i only knew about it after a mac genius told me when i had problems reinstalling and ended up buying new ram. i also just found out recently that the tiger retail discs are PPC only and not intel. only the intel mac's restore discs have intel tiger on them. however the leopard install discs are now universal.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
I emailed the ADC support for my Apple Student Developer membership about Leopard and they didn't give me an answer. They just said that Apple hasn't made any announcement for ADC members with regards to Leopard, and to look at the ADC News for any such announcements. I would like to purchase it IF I wasnt going to get it for free, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Even though us student developers have gotten free releases in the past, it may not be the case with Leopard. There is no official word yet, so I wouldn't get my hopes up, :(. Considering the up in price for leopard student pricing, perhaps student developers won't get it for free. I guess they would need to change their statement on the info page, "Student Members receive the current version of Mac OS X and Xcode via mail along with download access to the latest Xcode updates."

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
Even though us student developers have gotten free releases in the past, it may not be the case with Leopard. There is no official word yet, so I wouldn't get my hopes up, :(. Considering the up in price for leopard student pricing, perhaps student developers won't get it for free. I guess they would need to change their statement on the info page, "Student Members receive the current version of Mac OS X and Xcode via mail along with download access to the latest Xcode updates."

When I was a student developer for a year, I must have received at least 4 or 5 copies of Tiger in the mail, as well as download access to a .DMG image of the install disc. If the same trends continued, I would easily fork over the dough to be a member again, but as stated above, I'm not sure if they will offer that kind of access any more.

Ohmu

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2006
I've been trying to get a clear answer from ADC too on this matter but to me it seems like this: I give them one question and they give a cryptic answer to something remotely connected to my Leopard question.

Anyhow, just as Ludde I live in Sweden and here the student price is 1095 SEK (118€ or 167$) compared to the ADC Student pack which is 648 SEK (70€ or 99$) - so in other words, for me as a student this is a hell of a lot cheaper :)

ASTRX

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Ohmu: Where did you find ADC Student membership at 648 SEK? I'm also swedish, as far as I can see, its 895 SEK at Apple Store?

This was the response i got from the european ADC when e-mailing them about it:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: ADC Student Membership

Thank you for contacting the Apple Developer Connection regarding the ADC Student Membership.

So long as you are currently enrolled as a College or University Student and are at least 18 years old then you will be eligible for the ADC Student Program.

Apple announced on 10/16/07*that Mac OS X Leopard will go on sale Friday, October 26, 2007 at 6:00pm at Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers, and that Apple’s online store is now accepting pre-orders. A copy of the full press release can be found on the Apple website:

<http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/10/16leopard.html>

We have not made any announcements regarding Mac OS X Leopard and ADC members.*Any announcements of this type would be communicated via the ADC News and ADC website channels. We ask that you please stay tuned for any late-breaking news.*

Further information regarding ADC Student Membership and benefits are available at the following web pages:

ADC Student Membership
<http://developer.apple.com/students/>

Student Developer Discounts
<http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html>

I hope that this information is useful to you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Lenja Voelker

Apple Developer Connection
Worldwide Developer Relations

Ludde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Ahoy, my fellow Swedes! :D

At least the student license is $147 here in Korea so I guess I'll just bite and get ADC later when I need/have the money to spend on another Mac :rolleyes:

ASTRX

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Ahoy, my fellow Swedes! :D

At least the student license is $147 here in Korea so I guess I'll just bite and get ADC later when I need/have the money to spend on another Mac :rolleyes:

What are you doing spending the fall in Korea, when you could be enjoying semi-cold, rainy sweden? ;)
Either way, I guess I'll wait until Apple announces wheater or not Leopard will be included in the ADC Student membership. I wont take the risk of paying for a membership now and end up without Leopard.
Come on apple, whats with the late announcements?

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
I am a memeber since agust, but I have not received any monthy mailings...weird? anyone know why? I just went to log into ADC and they want me to agree to new conditions (updated on October 16th) or else they'll terminate my mebership any one else have this problem?

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
My problem is that I don't think I can wait until they decide whether they will release it for Student ADC or not. I want it on Friday. I'm just going to pay. If I get it for free, all the better. If not, I'm not out anything.

Update: I did receive Leopard 2 days after the release. So I now have 2 copies. Lucky me.

ASTRX

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
My problem is that I don't think I can wait until they decide whether they will release it for Student ADC or not. I want it on Friday. I'm just going to pay. If I get it for free, all the better. If not, I'm not out anything.

I can wait, but i dont want to. Just scanned my student id so I'm all set, just waiting for ADC to tell us.

shollingsw3

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2007
From what I have heard, Premium, Select, and Student members will all get the GM build of Leopard on this Friday, although a time has not been set. Also, you should get the real DVD of it in your November monthly mailing which you should get either the first or second week of November.

ASTRX

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
From what I have heard, Premium, Select, and Student members will all get the GM build of Leopard on this Friday, although a time has not been set. Also, you should get the real DVD of it in your November monthly mailing which you should get either the first or second week of November.

did you hear it from a reliable source?

Because I'm actually considering pre-ordering it with the student discount from apple store online :)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world

I hope you are right! I am checking the download section every day now.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006

This poster still hasn't cited the source...there's no official word of this yet, so I am not so sure.

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
I have not seen any download link in my ACD page.... Perhaps they don't give it for free to ACD student member anymore huh...

hotdamn

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada

I nominate this my favorite post of the year, first of all because it cheers me up, and second of all, because I can. Way to go AmpCoder!

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
I nominate this my favorite post of the year, first of all because it cheers me up, and second of all, because I can. Way to go AmpCoder!
Unfortunately, without reliable original post, this sounds to good to be true...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.