Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nintendo today confirmed that its iOS endless runner game, Super Mario Run, will launch on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch on December 15 for $9.99, a price that will allow users "full access" to the game's three modes. Players will also be able to download the game for free, gaining limited access to elements from each mode so that they can try out the game before deciding whether or not they want to buy it.

super-mario-run-ios.jpg
"The wait is almost over for a Super Mario game that can be played on mobile devices," said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America's Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. "Developed under the direction of Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto, Super Mario Run brings a new take on the series' beloved action-platforming gameplay to iPhone and iPad for the first time."
The game will be compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices running iOS 8 or later, and launch in 151 countries on December 15. Additionally, Super Mario Run will support the following languages: English, Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Russian and traditional Chinese.

The game was first announced at Apple's September 7 iPhone event, and will have Mario running to the right with users tapping to make him jump and avoid enemies in order to complete each level.

Article Link: Nintendo Announces 'Super Mario Run' Will Launch on December 15 for $9.99

kkamann

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Kinda spendy but people will still buy it like it's going out of business.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I know they've said otherwise, but making it an in app purchase instead of just a $10 game/app I bet is partially so families to have to pay for the game multiple times. Bit of a kick in the junk.
[doublepost=1479220971][/doublepost]
Perfect timing with the NES Classic which they will make a killing off if they would actually produce enough.

Yup. Easy way for them to build up some capital, lol.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I know they've said otherwise, but making it an in app purchase instead of just a $10 game/app I bet is partially so families to have to pay for the game multiple times. Bit of a kick in the junk.

Hmm, I'd be surprised if apple allowed them to lock an IAP to a specific device. If they are on the same account you should be able to restore purchases on your other devices. The only ones you can't are consumable...but according to app review guidelines they shouldn't be allowed to submit it as such.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
You can use family sharing. It isn't Apple's fault if they don't set stuff up properly.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I'm cool with the pricing. Around where I expected it to be. Just glad they didn't make it 14 or 15 bucks. That would have started a trend that would have angered me.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Perfect timing with the NES Classic which they will make a killing off if they would actually produce enough.
Tell me about it! I've been trying to find one everywhere and they instantly sold out on Amazon!

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
OMG :eek: I have to pay $10 for a game? I thought everything was suppose to be free after I spent $969 years on my iPhone 7+ 256gb. I thought anything I can't physically hold like music, movies, and apps are suppose to be free!
supposed*
[doublepost=1479222064][/doublepost]
Pricing is fair considering that retro final fantasy games go for like $15-$20 when they first release.

And I believe if you buy the game, it should be family downloadable.
Yep. Spot on.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This just blows my mind! Square Enix charges $17 to $19.99 for Final Fantasy VII on iOS and nobody complains but Nintendo charges $9.99 for a game and people blow up.

Square Enix is releasing a full blown game that cost $50 when it was new. Nintendo is releasing a runner.

I have a few runners on my iPhone already. I spent between nothing and $3 for each one of them.

I don't care how polished it is. There's no way it's 3x better than the best runner that I already have on my iPhone (which would probably be one of the Rayman games from Ubisoft.)

I'll try their free demo, but I doubt I'll be buying the full game.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I was looking forward to it but definitely not buying a better version of Temple Run for $10. At $1.99 I would have thought long and hard. At $2.99 I would have bought it during Christmas if my family functions got boring. At $3.99 definitely no.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Hmm, I'd be surprised if apple allowed them to lock an IAP to a specific device. If they are on the same account you should be able to restore purchases on your other devices. The only ones you can't are consumable...but according to app review guidelines they shouldn't be allowed to submit it as such.

Yup, but I don't believe that in app purchases are shareable within a family account right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.