Supernatural or Other Easily Explainable Phenomena?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Apr 17, 2012.

1. 0098386 Suspended

Here's one I forgot! Years ago I was housesitting (and catsitting) for my aunt and uncle. It was a modern, small house in the middle of nowhere and I treated it like a retreat. Weird things used to happen at night like radio alarms would switch themselves on, a VCR started playing automatically, the phone would ring but doing 1471 on it brought up no records of recent calls. I thought maybe it was a power fluctuation thing so at night I started turning off the power at the fuse box. But then doors started opening, including one where a utility closet had a carpet laid and the door was shaved so you really had to force it open and shut.

I understand there are logical reasons behind all of these but even so it was really spooky as it constantly happened.

2. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Thanks for sharing! I find this story to be interesting, but not conclusive. Besides the physical occurrences (cabinet opening), it sounds like many personal experiences, where you feel something but, the source is uncertain.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 24, 2017 ---
    The hard to open door, being found open seems mysterious.

3. JackieInCo Suspended

Adding to my post above, I did have things disappear only to reappear a while later directly in front of me.

First time, I was looking I was laying in bed watching TV on cable and had the remote sitting in front of me. Went to reach for it to change the channel and it was gone. Got up and looked around the bed and on the floor and it was gone. Nope, not under the bed either. Looked on top of the bed and it was gone. Got out my Note 4 to use it a the remote and laid back down on the bed. Got up again about 30 minutes later to look under the bed again, this time using my iPhone flash although it wasn't needed, it's not that dark under there. Got back up and the remote was in the center of the bed where I had been laying down.

Second time, I was using my ATV and had the remote sitting in front of me on the bed and I was eating something. Went to pause what I was watching and the remote was gone. Again, looked everywhere, under the bed, under the pillow. Nowhere. Gone. Finished eating and just happened to look down right in front of me and the remote is sitting there.

Another strange thing: About a year after my mom passed away, I was sitting in my car after I just installed XM radio and just happened to have the Elvis channel on. I climbed in the back to take a picture of the stereo with my original iPhone, this was 2007 after all. As I was taking the picture from the back seat, a shadow moved in front of the phone blocking out half of entire frame and yet I could look in front of me and see nothing was there, yet something was clearly blocking half of what was on my iPhones screen. After about 20 seconds, whatever was blocking the view, moved away and was gone. When my mom was alive, we would go out to eat dinner and afterwards, drive around listening to the Sinatra channel as they would have a live concert on at that time with either Frank, Sammy or one of the other guys. Obviously she would be in the passenger seat. I tend to thing that that shadow that moved in front of my iPhone while I was trying to take a picture was my mom letting me know she was listening to XM with me that night, happy I got it installed in my new car back then.

4. 0098386 Suspended

Right? I've gone through all the possibilities and all that's left is sleepwalking, but my partner didn't see me do it. I try not to think about it!

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Mischievous ghosts. :)

I resently rewatched The Others, the ghost movie starring Nicole Kidman. Ok, it's just a movie, but the most distrubling thing about it, were that these people were spirits, who found themselves in aprison, without any answers. That really bothered me.

I think many people who believe in an afterlife, seem to think that once the threshold of mortal life has been passed that our eyes will be opened and all questions answered. A more disturbing possibility, which might be a plus for continued existence, but possibly a minus for moving forward, would be repeated cycles through the Earth Simulator, or ending up as a spirit that wanders around endlessly through a fog. Now if there is a light that offers escape or a doorway back and forth between dimensions, so lived ones could come and visit, that might be cool. ;)

6. Huntn, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Sunday, Feb 25, 2018- The Mystery of the Swinging Chain.

See Update

This is a real event, no exaggeration. This morning I was reading, typing on my iPad as I always do when my wife who slept in, called me into the bedroom. The topic was what to eat for breakfast. I informed her I had already eaten my routine bowl of cereal and as I told her I could be persuaded to drive to Taco Cabana for some breakfast taquitos, suddenly there was a noticeable knocking heard overhead. Both of us looked up and up and saw the chain attached to the ceiling fan was swinging hard enough to hit the canopy frame, 4-6 times total, then it stopped.

54738B5D-13A3-4840-9BA3-ECCDB0B61E82.jpeg

We discussed what was that? My wife concluded it was the ghost. I requested “do it again!” but nothing happened.

The fan blades are about a foot above the canaopy. The chain that controls the fan’s speed hangs down to the level of our bed’s canopy. Horizontally it is about 6” away from the canopy frame. The fan runs all night, every night. Both the fan and the chain have a minimal wobble, but the chain does not swing, and never to a point where it knocks against the canopy.

As an experiment, I got on the bed on my knees, and holding the chain by the knob, held it out to the side and released it to see how many times it would hit the canopy, but the impact with the canopy curtailed the chains momentum and it would only hit the canopy one time after initial release, before swinging to a stop.

To clarify, there was no jolt, no Earth tremor, and the fan was wobbling minimally as it always does. It was just the chain that was swinging.

This is the first time I have seen something like this which is unexplainable, so far. :D
    Opinions?

Update 19March: since this post, I have determined that is most likely not supernatural in origin. See post 73.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

A wasp flew into it.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

No wasp observed, and my experiment indicated there would not be enough momentum to sustain multiple impacts of knob to canopy. :)

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Harmonics. My guess is that the pendulum formed by the chain has the same fundamental frequency and one of the frequencies emitted by the pulse of air created by the fan blades. My second guess is that there might have been a small tremor in your area that again had the same harmonic frequency as the chain. Erm... do you live anywhere near a fracking project?

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I don’t believe in the supernatural, or that space aliens are secretly visiting us.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Aliens used to visit looking for intelligent life.

They left.

12. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

One of my all time favorites.

C631AF06-F819-4A0E-A382-CBACCCD3B7C1.jpeg

13. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

No. No tremor, especially not one to set this chain swinging like it was. Maybe a 2-3 quake. ;) I’ll repeat, it never swings especially hard enough to repeatedly knock the bed canopy. And it really helps that we were present when it happened versus hearing it from another room. :)

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

The Medium (Feb 2018)
    A group of our friends, sisters in the Twin Cities went to a large show featuring a medium (I did not get her name, I’ll ask). The medium stood up and asked the audience, I have someone here who is asking about feather tattoos. It turns out that all three sisters had gotten feather tattoos on their wrists years ago, an icon that represents their father who passed away decades ago. The medium gave them a message from their father. Our friends had no previous contact with this medium, and no mutual friends knew the medium and could have past info to her.

When one of sisters asked the medium if she had a message for her daughter from her desceased father, with no other information, the medium said I see a car crash on a beautiful day and gave her a personal message. Now unless the medium had somehow been prevuiosly briefed about this family, I consider this to be compelling evidence of something more to our mortal existence. If you take this story at face value, accurately described would you agree?

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

No. Too much opportunity for charlatanism - some accomplice in the audience probably noticed three people sitting next to each other with the same tattoo on their wrist. And you cannot be sure that accomplices have not had discussions with the people involved about their families etc. This is how many of the evangelicals work - they send out people into the audience that strike up conversations so that dupes in the audience tell their life stories, and this information is relayed to the scam artist in charge of the whole thing. Sometimes this is blatant and the dupes do not even object when they know they've been had, because it is hard to stand up in a crowd of people and say that 'this is a fake' when they're interacting with the person on the stage.

Now if the tatoo's in question were hidden fully by clothing, it would be harder to explain. As it is, deception is a far likelier explanation than something that breaks the laws of physics.

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

There is always room for nay sayers. ;) I’ll say your critique is possible, but I’ll trust their story at face value.

17. millerj123 macrumors 65816

18. VulchR, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Hey, the unicorn is Scotland's national animal... I'm serious.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2018 ---
    Actually I have some experience with researchers who have tried to demonstrate 'psi' phenomena (PEAR at Princeton University in the late 1980's). The first thing they always had to do when examining anecdotal parapsychology claims was to weed out the scams, and to be honest most of the claims were traced back to scams. They tried laboratory research and claimed to find something, but mostly because they used biased statistics, so it is not as though they were non-believers, and yet even they doubted these anecdotal stories. Serious parapsychology units in the UK pretty much have come to the same conclusion.

If you want to demonstrate psi phenomenon, then it has to be under controlled laboratory conditions. Any pattern observed has to be reproducible. Finally, there has to be an explanation of how psi phenomenon manage to get around the laws of physics, for instance working at a distance without weakening due to the distance. I'm pretty sure we would have heard by now if these three criteria have ever been met in a credible way.

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I'm not arguing and I am open minded to the possibility of a scam, but if these 3 people were sitting in a large crowd and without being spied upon, the Medium came up with this about feather tattoos, it's good enough for me. I wish both you and I had been there. :)

You are assuming with only having my story that a scam was involved, which as a sceptic (you), I understand your tendency to do so. Things that would make me suspicious would be like the Medium trolling for audience member, like "I sense a bald elderly man." To volunteer this info out of the blue, is surprising for me. :)

20. Huntn, Mar 18, 2018

Huntn

Two nights ago I had just gone to bed, had fallen asleep on my back and suddenly a tap, tap, tap, tap woke me up. A quick glance at the clock indicated I had been laying there about an hour. I can be in the room for hours with the fan running, with the AC coming on and off and it never taps. I was arrgravated, got up and unhooked the bottom part of the chain.

Today, I hooked the bottom part up, and measured with the fan running. The fan wobbles approx 1/4”, the chain is approximately 11” long. When the fan is running, the pendulum on the bottom of the chain swings from 3.5-4.5” (1” total swing) away from the canopy.

I experimented with how far the pendulum would have to be from the post so when released it would strike the canopy. That distance is 8” away. And when I release it, only hits 1 time and loses enough energy so no more contact is made. When this event happens the pendulum hits 4-6 time’s rapidly, which by my guess would require at least twice the momentum of it’s normal swing. More importantly, it would require sustained energy to keep tapping.

Think me foolish, but I considering the possibility that when I was awakened, I was experiencing interrupted sleep due to sleep apnea and may have received a warming. I have promised by wife I will get this checked out on my next annual physical this month. She is out of town visiting relatives. I’m opting to leave the pendulum connected.

Waiting for the naysayers reply. No hard feelings if you do. :cool:

Update 19March: since this post, I have determined that is most likely not supernatural in origin. See post 73.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I still think it is harmonics (the pendulum swinging at nearly the same frequency as the wobble in the fan). A similar kind of thing happened to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge - the wind got it swaying at just the right frequency and ...

[​IMG]

If I'm right, changing the length of the chain, or the weight at its bottom, should change the frequency at which it resonates and stop the tapping. Of course, I could be wrong. :oops:

22. Huntn, Mar 18, 2018

Huntn

Changing the length of the chain would create a relationship pendulum to canopy frame, where the pendulum would no longer strike the bed frame as it currently does. If longer, the chain would hit it if it swung hard enough.

The bridge example where a very strong and unusual wind came along and pushed the bridge surface to a very great degree. Once it started swinging, the harmonies amplified the swing. As I see it the problem with the harmonics Theory and my fan, is that as far as external forces, nothing really changes except for the AC coming on and off. I suppose that specific unstable wind draft conditions could cause this event to occur infrequently, but I’m not convinced. :)

Update: I updated the previous post to clarify, that I may have been warned. Now, my logic tells me this is foolish. :)

23. Huntn, Mar 19, 2018

Huntn

@VulchR, @Apple fanboy- Regarding my post about the swinging chain on my ceiling fan, I’ve spent a lot of time observing it and while watching it initially, it would only swing an inch, but as time goes by, that amount would amplify to a point where it could hit the canopy on it’s own. Therefore, I can’t attribute this to the supernatural and I thank you guys for inserting skepticism into the discussion.. :D

24. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Always happy to debunk a supernatural fake!

Just call me Houdini.

25. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Long Island Medium- My wife watches this a lot and I catch it. The latest show, she went on tour. I’ll say this, if it’s not a setup, with plants in the audience, this is incredibly impressive. No, probing questions, she just nails it every time. But that of course is the problem, we just don’t know.

9B7F1C01-3435-473A-B0EF-D9C917074629.jpeg
    Will big hair make a comeback? :)