Supply Chain Expects New 16-Inch MacBook Pro, 13-Inch MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air to Launch in October

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to release an all-new 16-inch MacBook Pro in October, according to supply chain sources cited by Taiwan's Economic Daily News.

[​IMG]

The report claims the 16-inch display will be a LCD with a 3,072×1,920 resolution, supplied by LG, matching information shared by IHS Markit analyst Jeff Lin last month. The notebook is expected to be mass produced by Foxconn and Quanta, two of Apple's largest manufacturing partners.

The supply chain sources cited also expect Apple to refresh the 13-inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air in October, but no further details were provided about those models. This also mirrors the previous report from IHS Markit.

Absent from the report is any mention of a new 15-inch MacBook Pro. Since 2016, Apple has refreshed the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro simultaneously, so the big question is whether the 16-inch model will immediately replace the 15-inch model or start off as an additional top-of-the-line configuration.

Of course, the 15-inch model could come later. Apple's last staggered MacBook Pro release was in 2015, when 13-inch models launched in March and 15-inch models followed in May. The timing is typically dictated by Intel's processor roadmap, at least until Apple switches to ARM as rumored.

Apple just updated the higher-end 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro in May, and it refreshed the entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro earlier this month, so new models in the fall would certainly be soon. Apple has refreshed its entire MacBook Pro lineup twice in a year only once before in the Retina era, in 2013.

As for the MacBook Air, it was also refreshed earlier this month, but the only hardware changes were the addition of a True Tone display and an updated keyboard material for improved reliability, so a processor bump is certainly a possibility in October, one year after the notebook was significantly redesigned.

Early this month, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said a new MacBook Air with a scissor keyboard would launch in the second half of 2019, but it is unclear if it is still coming. He also called for a new MacBook Pro with a scissor keyboard in 2020, completing its transition away from its troubled butterfly keyboard.

Likewise, 16-inch MacBook Pro rumors began with Kuo. Back in February, he said the notebook would launch at some point in 2019 with an "all-new design." He has not shared any further details since, but a recent supply chain report said mass production would begin in the fourth quarter of this year.

When reading into supply chain rumors, it is often better to look at the "what" rather than the "when." While suppliers may know about new products based on components and schematics, timing is harder to predict. In this case, October is likely just a prediction given Apple often hosts a Mac event that month.

The key takeaway is that 16-inch MacBook Pro rumors are now surfacing frequently, so there is a good chance the notebook is real. Whether it launches in the fall, next year, or later remains to be seen.

Article Link: Supply Chain Expects New 16-Inch MacBook Pro, 13-Inch MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air to Launch in October

2. Don1985 macrumors member

3. infiniteentropy macrumors regular

Gentle reminder to be wary of 1st-generation Apple products.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Seems like they'd be able to fit a 16" display just by reducing the bezels and keep the same footprint.

5. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

I don't understand why people want to know if the 15 inch is going to be refresh. The new 16'' will most likely be the same size as the 15'' but just with a stretched, bigger display, and a better design maybe.

6. fokmik macrumors 68040

So this year, iphone was/will be the least important product
    Mac pro, XDR display, now the new macbooks

7. DaveRivera macrumors member

DaveRivera

8. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

9. fokmik macrumors 68040

Depends..its 16" or 16.3" ? it will not be the exactly same dimensions, that for sure no matter what
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2019 ---
    They need also need 90w-93w battery for the larger 10h usage

10. falkon-engine macrumors newbie

I know this is wishful thinking on my part, but it would be cool if Apple made its Macbooks modular again (i.e., add my own RAM, SSD, battery, etc...). To me, modularity was a very appealing quality of Macbooks from back in the day...

11. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Haven't been able to say this for quite some time but I'm really excited for these new Macs!!!

12. hotdwag, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019

hotdwag macrumors newbie

hotdwag

Have a 2016 "esc" and am waiting for a more powerful 13-inch since the 15-inch models are just personally too large for my liking. Instant purchase if the keyboard is updated and ice lake U series refresh for 13-inch models which would move over to DDR4 (32gb?) and Wi-Fi 6. Maybe they're only targeting the 4-port 13-inch that was released in May?

Could completely be BS, though guess another year with my current wouldn't hurt. My "esc" is gen 1 and have had 0 issues... Hopefully Apple realizes they need to prioritize reliability for the sake of public image.

13. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502a

Pointless reminder because anyone can buy a 1st gen Apple product and:

1. Return it within 14-days if there is anything seriously wrong with it.
    2. Get it fixed under warranty within the first year if there is anything wrong that develops.

14. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Sound advice for sure, but this will likely be the last major Mac notebook refresh using Intel processors. So those wanting the new design and bigger/better screen but don't want to deal with the headache of there being no support for Apple's own architecture in the next version, will actually want to go with this first gen.

15. RobbyIdol macrumors regular

I am ready for the 16" MBP

My 13" 2014 MBA has served me well, but I've pushed the limits on what it can handle with Adobe PS and Lightroom. As a photographer, I'd LOVE the bigger screen size in a body that's hopefully the same as the 15" case.

I'm not looking forward to losing all the old style USB ports, but I guess I have to accept that change at some point. Hopefully the keyboard on the 16" is decent.

16. AngerDanger, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I did the math a while ago, and they'd need to increase the width a little, but the height (and depth obvs.) could remain the same as the 15". That's how the mockup in the article was made.

17. diggy33 macrumors 6502a

diggy33

My only question would be if they replace the 15-inch model with the 16-inch, where does the new machine fall in line with pricing? If its the same or very near the existing price points then I think thats a small win for Apple. Either way, I look forward to seeing whats new.

18. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502a

Normally I would presume the 16" would replace the 15", as a better large screen laptop. But the modern Applemart who doesn't mind having more skus than anyone can comprehend will surely charge $200-400 for this 16" model and keep the 15" unmodified right where it is for at least another year.

19. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Every feature of the MacBook Pro that made it such a stand-out machine a decade ago has been removed or degraded. At this point Apple has a long way to go to restore the model to something deserving of premium pricing. A 16” display is a good start, but it’s just a start.

20. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

Why would they refresh the 13”? That seems really weird given that they just refreshed that whole lineup over the past two months.

21. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

It's like Apple is saying "Oh, you want new Macs? Okay, here are your new f__cking Macs!"

I do have a hard time imagining refreshing the whole notebook lineup only to turn it over less than six months later.

What I think is more likely is the supply chain was expecting Apple to give the go order and Apple shelved the decision until next year and released minor spec bumps.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2019 ---
    I think this is correct.

22. JimmyBanks6 macrumors regular

JimmyBanks6

& 2nd & 3rd & 4th.

We are now on the 4th gen butterfly keyboard, still has the same issues.

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Why would they update the MBA and 13” MBP when they just refreshed them in July?

24. psingh01 macrumors 65816

It doesn't make sense to update the smaller models when they've just been refreshed. I hope the news about the 16" is true though.

25. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I was hoping for a redesigned 14" MBP instead of a 13". That's too bad. Wanted them to basically remove the bezels and keep a similar footprint. Now that I have a powerful iMac I want my next MBP to be more portable since I rely on it less for most of my work. I suppose the 13" will be closer in size to the 12" MacBook, which is probably why they removed it, so at least it should be a lot more portable. What I want most is discrete graphics in the redesigned 13" MBP. Maybe this will be the model that uses Apple designed CPUs and GPUs? Or is it still too early? With a big redesign it seems like a good time for some radical change.