Survey Explores Why iPhone Owners Haven't Upgraded to iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2018.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But it doesn't really suggest that at all, does it? Last I checked, "it works fine" still means "it works fine," and doesn't compare the new device with the old one at all.

2. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Too expensive. Notch. iOS 11 still has issues. Satisfied with TouchID. FaceID isn’t good enough yet.

3. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

It’ll be Interesting how they’ll differentiate the LCD phone from the upgraded X besides oled/lcd. I’m sure they’ll come up with some crazy new camera or battery improvement in the XS or so.. right now, my favorite feature on the X is the portrait mode on the front facing camera- but with Face ID on the lcd phone, it’ll get that as well...

Nobody is gonna buy a severely more expensive XS just because of oled I guess. The display is nice, yes, but not THAT MUCH NICER than the one found in the 8 I think.

4. Dario69 macrumors member

Sample is fine. I have seen much worse. But you can easily change iPhone X with iPhone 8 Plus and get similar results. Price and feature sets are too common of road blocks from upgrading. My response to this survey: well duh!!

5. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

It is absolutely a large enough sample.

Some people either need to take stats, or should have paid attention when it was taught to them.

6. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

FaceID is better than TouchID.

7. dan110 macrumors 6502a

dan110

Aside from "The Old Men" in Cupertino, who else didn't see this coming?

8. Superhappytree, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

I didn’t find that to be the case, not when sleeping on my side or using it at such angles. Typing my passcode in or having to lift my head up for it to scan my face was a frustratingly common occurrence, whereas TouchID is just a touch away with none of the above issues.

9. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Oh goody, more of the "X isn't selling well" folks are popping up in this discussion.

Meanwhile, in my big city I am astounded at how many X i see all over the place now. It had a slow ramp up, but every day i notice a couple more folks in my workplace who just switched to the X.

10. raqball macrumors 68000

If you read these forums you'd think 98% would have stated 'dat notch tho' as the reason they didn't upgrade..

Meh, why not ask 1500 iPhone 6s or 7 users why they didn't upgrade to the 8.. Same ole' same ole' garbage type polls..

The X is stellar and those who didn't upgrade to it are missing out!

11. Altis macrumors 68030

Sincere question: Do you think you would you have upgraded had Apple not bogged your 6 down with iOS updates and CPU throttling?

12. RoadWarrior56 macrumors member

I like the iPhone X but I have no plans to buy it. It costs too much for how I use a smartphone. I don’t want to wait until next year for the so-called 6.1” phone either, because I HATE big phones. I will probably buy a 4.7” iPhone 8 this year with 256 GB because I need the storage. I have a regular sized 6s right now and I lke the size just fine. The 8 has the size and storage I want with the A11 chip for a much lower price than the X. I would like the dual camera, but not enough to pay for an X or lug around a big heavy 8+.

13. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Yes exactly!

14. Ds6778 macrumors 6502a

Ds6778

Let go of what? Only one device Apple sells has Face ID and EVERY other device has Touch ID lol.

15. wolfshades macrumors 6502

wolfshades

I would have bought one, but then I saw the rumour that next year’s model would have a bigger screen, so...

16. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

I used to perform consumer testing at Procter & Gamble. You would be surprised to know how few people you need to have a statistically-representative sample, especially when you don’t intend to do specific breakouts

17. raqball macrumors 68000

Not for long......

18. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

I could see people suffering from iOS fatigue too. Same UI design since iOS 7.

19. WannaGoMac, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Yes, my iphone 6+ was slow even though I kept it on 10.3.3 (and had a new battery). While it was usable, it had not been able to move as fast as I can for over a year and i was just sick of it. Oh and coupled with 3 generations improved camera, I am thrilled to have the X.

3 years is how long I keep smart phones. I like to see substantial improvements before spending $

20. IxRich macrumors newbie

IxRich

I didn't take the X because it was just too expensive to justify. My 7 Plus is absolutely fine for the time being. I might upgrade later this year if their next phone comes out with 5G support. Otherwise, considering Telstra Australia are rolling out 5G next year, I won't be upgrading without that as an included feature.

21. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Certainly refutes the “Apple is purposely making old phones slower so people will upgrade” trope. Apparently people aren’t experiencing that.

22. now i see it macrumors 68040

Another waste-of-time survey-
    Wanna know why everyone isn't buying a X?

Just go over to MacRumors.com iPhone forum and start reading through the endless threads.

23. jecowa macrumors regular

I'm interested in what's coming next and would like to wait for it. I am concerned about the current headphone situation and uncertain on the future of the Lightning port. I would like to have awesome magic headphones without paying Apple prices for them. I think the Lightning port is near the end of its life. If this is getting replaced soon with Thunderbolt or even regular USB type-C (to match their laptop line), I would want to wait for that. Now that it has inductive charging, if they plan to remove the charging port entirely soon to make the phone more waterproof, I would want to wait for that. I like the new Notch style, but don't want to pay 1000+$ for it. I think that upcoming, cheaper mid-sized TFT Notched phone looks nice.

24. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I’m not sold on oled just yet. I decided to wait for the second iPhone X iteration to see if people are still reporting headaches and eye strain.

25. raqball macrumors 68000

Yup.. Another X basing thread from users who've never owned it and maybe played with one in a store for a few minutes where faceID can't even be tested.. Lets cover it all now and get it out of the way:

1. Dat notch tho
    2. I can buy a Jitterbug for $49.99 so why would I pay $1K
    3. faceID is terrible
    4. Dat notch tho

/complaints from non owners covered

Most who actually own the X are satisfied and happy with it...