Survey Explores Why iPhone Owners Haven't Upgraded to iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2018.

1. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Elimination of Touch ID and you can't run iOS 10 for 32 bit app support and glass back. No sale.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

All the flagship phones moving forward (outside of maybe the SE) are going to have FaceID. I think last year's 8 and 8 plus are the last models that will have Touch ID.

3. IbisDoc macrumors 6502a

They need a "Haven't upgraded because Apple hasn't slowed my iPhone yet" option.

4. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

I think that’s more to do with the Face ID sensors. I’m waiting to see if the X 2nd gen is any improvement. I’m hoping with iOS 12 they are more smart with how they handle the notch, because right now it’s amateur-level sloppy. 4GB of RAM and improved Face ID might have me considering upgrading though.

5. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

6. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

I DID get an iPhone X even though my iPhone 6 worked fine. As a matter of fact, I kept my 6 to use while I’m in bed so I don’t have to carry my main phone around the house to Hey Siri lights. My main reasons for buying the X was that I love having the latest stuff and I wanted to get on the Apple refinance plan instead of TMobiles so it’ll be easier for me to get the next iPhone right away. The fact that I only need to make half the payments in order to be eligible to get the next model makes the higher price irrelevant. It’s $55/mo to me and that’s not that much different than my 6 with TMo.

7. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

My reason for not upgrading is that I am more than happy with my 7+ and I am frankly kind of tired of Apple's racket iOS update then need a new phone crap.

8. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Touch ID won’t come back so what then?

9. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Another person who assumes that people who dislike the X “have never even owned one”. I did. Twice. And I returned both times. While the gestures are slick and the bezeless OLED display is immersive, those 4 issues you mockingly pointed out really are issues for us (who have owned one), and not just something we harp on about just because.

10. raqball macrumors 68000

Sure you did.. That's the great thing about the internet as there is no way to disprove your statement but I highly doubt its true.. yeah, I work for Nasa as a rocket scientist too... LOL

11. upnorth85 macrumors 6502a

upnorth85

Narrower in the width. Diagonally it is bigger but not area wise.

12. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Having a notch instead of the black top bezel going all the way across is a deal breaker for you? Really?

13. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Aside from Animoji's what can the iPhone X do that the iPhone 8 cannot?

14. elvisimprsntr, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

How about, I didn't upgrade to the X because of too many unknown technical risks which may plague a major form factor change (Qi, display, modem, FaceID, camera, battery, etc.) and the 8+ didn't offer anything substantial over my current 6+. Once Apple replaces my 6+ battery, I should be able to get a few more years out of it, lowering my average annual cost of ownership even more. Just like a car, never buy the first model year after a major redesign (you get all the new problems) and never buy the last model year run (all the rejected parts from the previous years get used in the last model year run.)

Also, I didn't mind getting a new phone every 2 years for $200-$300 when phones were carrier subsidized. Since I am no longer in a 2 year contract, it didn't make sense to continue paying the subsidized phone monthly rate, so I switched to a much lower off-contract plan. Now that US carriers don't subsidized phones anymore, you get to see the real cost of the phone hardware, thus makes it that much harder to justify plunking down $1000 for a cell phone.

My strategy is to buy a 2 year old device for 1/4th the original price from a friend of mine who always gets a new phone every 2 years. I always tell him to make sure to get a good case for it.

15. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Not that I disagree with you but I'm puzzled why people constantly need a new UI. I've used every version of OS X and the constant UI changes have done nothing to improve my productivity.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

Large screen in the same physical sized form factor.

faceID is actually stellar and works great

Gestures make the home button feel old and dated

Look at them side by side. One looks old and dated and the other looks modern and fresh.

17. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

I'm waiting for the iPhone 9 with Touch ID

18. Superhappytree, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

What, is so hard about that to believe? Why are you questioning that as if it’s not possible to dislike the X if you’ve actually owned one? Your attitude is pretty terrible and condescending.

Edit: Since you wanted proof, along with the date I received it from a screenshot of my camera roll for even further proof, here you go:

2D2C55D2-8163-49D1-970E-9D09D388F3BF.png

19. pl1984 macrumors 68020

This doesn't answer my question. What can I do with an iPhone X that I cannot do with an iPhone 8?

20. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Is that a reason why you haven’t upgraded or are you just insulting everyone who is commenting? J/k :D:p;)

21. raqball macrumors 68000

What can you do with your iPhone 8 that you can't do with an iPhone 6?

22. pl1984 macrumors 68020

This didn't answer my question either.

23. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Reason #1: Too f'n expensive. Seriously folks, $1149 for a phone? Give me a break. Reason #2: It makes phone calls and sends texts just like every other iPhone ever made. Reason #3: Within a year, maybe less, Apple will release three new "less expensive" iPhones that will push the iPhone X to the bottom shelf. Reason #4: I do not let fancy Apple gadgets run my life. Even if I had $1149, there are better things in life to spend your hard-earned cash on...like pizza and beer! Reason #5: My iPhone 7+ works like a champ, and probably will until it finally dies from old age. Or I do.

24. raqball macrumors 68000

You've posted nothing but negativity towards the X. Looking through your post history makes it impossible to believe you actually owned one, never mind two like you claim. At any rate enjoy your Note and hate onward about the X I suppose as it appears to be some sort of hobby..

25. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Saying it's "a phone" ignores everything else it can do. It's really a computer which has the ability to make phone calls.