Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
For me simple. The phone is too expensive especially for a device I like to change every year. I reluctantly have to change my new phone cycle to 2 years. 7 Plus is actually doing fine.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If anyone uses this worthless survey to base a major purchase decision on, said person needs to take a step back and access his or her reasoning abilities, in my opinion. The survey is empty fooder that is nothing more than an advertisement for the analyst.

In my opinion, these are the kinds of questions Apple consumers should ask themselves (if they don't already) before considering a new phone.

1) is my phone working properly and meeting my current needs?
2) if the answer to question one is yes, can I afford upgrading to a different phone, provided one of the new phones appeals to my wants and needs.
3) If the answer to question 1 is no, does that necessitate an immediate purchase with one of the current models? If not, is it practical to roll the dice of chance and try and wait until November 2018?

Purchasing an iPhone is not a hard process, and it certainly isn't as convoluted as some of the forum make it out to be.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Then your question is just playing childish games as iOS is iOS and its the same version on the 6, 6S, 7, 8, and X
I'm asking a question of which you have not provided an answer. Asking "What can you do with your iPhone 8 that you can't do with an iPhone 6?" is not an answer to the question "What can I do with an iPhone X that I cannot do with an iPhone 8?"

BTW, how well does FaceID work with that bag on your face? :)

Reactions: huperniketes

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
Sure you did.. That's the great thing about the internet as there is no way to disprove your statement but I highly doubt its true.. yeah, I work for Nasa as a rocket scientist too... LOL

You want to know why I believe him (no, you don't care). I believe him because I too also bought the iPhone X on launch day. I returned mine 14 days later.

I like the notch, but I returned mine because FaceID is not as consistent as TouchID, iPhone X is too big, and the display is natively too blue (and TrueTone makes it too orange).

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
If anyone uses this worthless survey to base a major purchase decision on, said person needs to take a step back and access his or her reasoning abilities, in my opinion. The survey is empty fooder that is nothing more than an advertisement for the analyst.

In my opinion, these are the kinds of questions Apple consumers should ask themselves (if they don't already) before considering a new phone.

1) is my phone working properly and meeting my current needs?
2) if the answer to question one is yes, can I afford upgrading to a different phone, provided one of the new phones appeals to my wants and needs.
3) If the answer to question 1 is no, does that necessitate an immediate purchase with one of the current models? If not, is it practical to roll the dice of chance and try and wait until November 2018?

Purchasing an iPhone is not a hard process, and it certainly isn't as convoluted as some of the forum make it out to be.
I didn't read anything which suggested people were using this, or any, survey upon which to buy, or not, an iPhone X. Can you point out the part which did so?

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I'm asking a question of which you have not provided an answer. Asking "What can you do with your iPhone 8 that you can't do with an iPhone 6?" is not an answer to the question "What can I do with an iPhone X that I cannot do with an iPhone 8?"

BTW, how well does FaceID work with that bag on your face? :)

I gave you my answer but it's not what you wanted to hear so you clamber onward.. OS wise they are the same, they do the same exact things. You know, kind of like how a 6 will perform the exact same functions your 8 does? So to reverse the question you never answered mine at all and avoided it. At least I answered yours.

What does your 8 do that an iPhone 6 does not?

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
You've posted nothing but negativity towards the X. Looking through your post history makes it impossible to believe you actually owned one, never mind two like you claim. At any rate enjoy your Note and hate onward about the X I suppose as it appears to be some sort of hobby..

I edited my original reply to you with proof that I have owned one. Although you’ll probably dismiss that and call it fake or something. I don’t know why you can’t imagine someone not liking the X. How is something like that so hard for you to believe?

Here it is again:

CE977250-103B-4486-AD92-823DDD120FB9.png

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
You want to know why I believe him (no, you don't care). I believe him because I too also bought the iPhone X on launch day. I returned mine 14 days later.

I like the notch, but I returned mine because FaceID is not as consistent as TouchID, iPhone X is too big, and the display is natively too blue (and TrueTone makes it too orange).

Of course there will be people who bought and returned the devoice because they didn't like it. People retuned every iPhone ever made for one reason or another. I honestly don't care if he owned one or not but it's kind of hard to believe when you read his post history.

I edited my original reply to you with proof that I have owned one. Although you’ll probably dismiss that and call it fake or something. I don’t know why you can’t imagine someone not liking the X. How is something like thy so hard for you to believe?

Here it is again:

View attachment 753397

Proves absolutely nothing... I can post a photo of me in a Nasa suit if you give me a few minutes with PS

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
I gave you my answer but it's not what you wanted to hear so you clamber onward.. OS wise they are the same, they do the same exact things. You know, kind of like how a 6 will perform the exact same functions your 8 does? So to reverse the question you never answered mine at all and avoided it. At least I answered yours.

What does your 8 do that an iPhone 6 does not?
First: You did not provide me an answer. You provided me with a response. There's a difference.

Second: I did not make a statement along the lines of "The X is stellar and those who didn't upgrade to it are missing out!" regarding the iPhone 8. You made a statement those who didn't upgrade to the iPhone X are missing out. So I ask: What am I missing out on?

Third: I actually agree with your question. While I don't know the intricacies of each iPhone models, at least starting with the iPhone 6, I think your question has merit.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Funny, I like the notch. It's great to have a bit more screen back that other manufactures dont let you have as they black the entire top out. If the X was the size of the Plus then it would be perfect for me. When the new Plus comes out, that will be the phone i keep for 3 years :D

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Most of my reasons weren't listed:

1) I don't like OLED screens because of ghosting text while scrolling and headaches
2) I don't want to be a VCSEL guinea pig (there isn't enough safety testing of IR lasers beamed at retinas and skin many times per day over a long period)
3) I prefer unlocking without having to hold my phone up
4) Price isn't really the issue, but rather value for price. iPhone X doesn't offer anything worth the extra $$

Reactions: Wide opeN and rynx9

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I didn't read anything which suggested people were using this, or any, survey upon which to buy, or not, an iPhone X. Can you point out the part which did so?
I said if...

Many on the forum do use logical fallacy to make buying decisions. As such, I would not be surprised if some here use the survey and other meaningless drivel to make decisions pertaining to iPhones.

Many like the iPhone X and many don't (for whatever reason). Not a big deal.

It amazes me that people constantly argue with one another (as if subjective personal biased reasoning is objective and factual for all) over personal preference and personal needs when it comes to phones. If you like your phones, great. If you don't, find one that works for you and meets your needs. Real simple. No need to castigate strangers on a forum because they appear to be in some forum minority.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Funny, I like the notch. It's great to have a bit more screen back that other manufactures dont let you have as they black the entire top out. If the X was the size of the Plus then it would be perfect for me. When the new Plus comes out, that will be the phone i keep for 3 years :D
I have yet to see any reason, that is believable, from anyone who says they like the notch. Accept it? Yes. Tolerate it? Yes. Aren't bothered by it? Yes. Like it? No.

Reactions: JohnArtist

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
First: You did not provide me an answer. You provided me with a response. There's a difference.

Second: I did not make a statement along the lines of "The X is stellar and those who didn't upgrade to it are missing out!" regarding the iPhone 8. You made a statement those who didn't upgrade to the iPhone X are missing out. So I ask: What am I missing out on?

Third: I actually agree with your question. While I don't know the intricacies of each iPhone models, at least starting with the iPhone 6, I think your question has merit.

For the 3rd time... I stated what you are missing out on..
  1. Larger screen in the same sized form factor
  2. faceID
  3. Gestures
Those are the 3 things that you are missing out on. Some hate on 2 and 3 because they've never used them except in a store for a few minutes where you can't even test faceID. As far as 1. goes, the standard statement is dat notch tho.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
I said if...

Many on the forum do use logical fallacy to make buying decisions. As such, I would not be surprised if some here use the survey and other meaningless drivel to make decisions pertaining to iPhones.

Many like the iPhone X and many don't (for whatever reason). Not a big deal.

It amazes me that people constantly argue with one another (as if subjective personal biased reasoning is objective and factual for all) over personal preference and personal needs when it comes to phones. If you like your phones, great. If you don't, find one that works for you and meets your needs. Real simple. No need to castigate strangers on a forum because they appear to be in some forum minority.
Why say something which wasn't relevant? The article discusses a survey as to why people weren't buying the iPhone X. It was a reflection of people's buying decisions. I saw no attempt to sway a purchasing decision one way or the other. So your statement makes no sense.

Reactions: Someyoungguy

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
You would be amazed at just how nice and coherent the new facial recognition paradigms are. The move away from the home button really changes the whole feel of the interface to something better than it was
I agree that the new interface and gestures feel better once you make the quick adjustment, perhaps the way it should’ve been from the beginning. FaceID usually feels like a step up from TouchID, but not always. As for one of the reasons why people are not upgrading being the high price, I hope these surveys push Apple to make some “adjustments” to their pricing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wide opeN

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
For the 3rd time... I stated what you are missing out on..
  1. Larger screen in the same sized form factor
  2. faceID
  3. Gestures
Those are the 3 things that you are missing out on. Some hate on 2 and 3 because they've never used them except in a store for a few minutes where you can't even test faceID. As far as one goes, the standard statement is dat notch tho.
For the third time: What does the iPhone X do that the iPhone 8 does not? Or, individually:

What does 'Larger screen in the same sized form factor" do for me? What does "FaceID" do for me? What do "Gestures" do for me? How am I more productive? What tasks / work / work product do those three things buy me? At the end of the day how have any of those three features allowed me to do something I am unable to do on an iPhone 8?

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Fort he third time: What does the iPhone X do that the iPhone 8 does not? Or, individually:

What does 'Larger screen in the same sized form factor" do for me? What does "FaceID" do for me? What do "Gestures" do for me? How am I more productive? What tasks / work / work product do those three things buy me? At the end of the day how have any of those three features allowed me to do something I am unable to do on an iPhone 8?

Wow, just wow.... I don't really know if this is a comedy act or you actually being serious.. I hope comedy act..

Reactions: robbyx

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I’m not sold on oled just yet. I decided to wait for the second iPhone X iteration to see if people are still reporting headaches and eye strain.

I'm not sold on OLED, either. That's the only nit I have with my iPhone X. Wish it had the LCD display that my 6+ has.

Reactions: Lyn2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.