Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
That's because your head is stuck in the MacRumors technophile bubble.

The potential of the iPad platform is insane. It was apparent from the first minute it was demo'd by Jobs.

Right after, Future Shock hit everyone like runaway train.
You got got that right!
Under one roof apple can create a vision,design the hardware and software for it from scratch.they now have the chips to boot.OMFG!
The ipad is going to beat the hell out of the netbook market.
New social networking products,interactive text book with video, high end graphing calculators(goodbye TI,HP Casio!) A revolution is underway.
I can't wait until the 3g model comes outs.ha ha! This is a dream come true for us fanboys.finally someone is getting right.I'm going to start writing apps.
This sh** is going to be crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
My first thought was, how did they do with their original survey results? Not so good, it turns out. Let's say that they only talked to USA adults, which is 240 million.

According to their old survey, 9% were somewhat or very likely to purchase the original iPhone, or 21 million. In fact, a little over 5 million (2%) did.

Extrapolating to their current survey, that would indicate an actual rate would be around 3% for the iPad.

Which is still 7.2 million sales in the US alone.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
The scary thing is that Apple hasn't even done any advertising for it yet. Most people don't even know the iPad exists. Once we get closer to launch and Apple starts rolling out commercials, you will see potential demand skyrocket. You can bellyache all you want about it's supposed shortcomings, but it's going to be a huge success. I for one, will be getting one on launch day.

Advertising, here in the uk it was in every news paper and on primetime news, and yet strangley its the only company that gets this kind of coverage here in the UK, it was the same with the iphone :confused::apple:

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
I know for a fact I'm planning to buy an iPad instead of a MacBook.

That said, I am planning on buying an iMac to replace my current aging MacBook Pro as my primary machine.

Bingo.

I see the iPad replacing laptops eventually.

I want a super powerful desktop for home, and a small, fun portable to hit the road with.

That's the iPad.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
A real Desktop OS can handle more than 1 thing at a time. This piece of crap only handles 1... Laughable.

Dude, or Dudeett,

The A4 is a Multicore ARM. Mobile OS 4.0 will Multitask on the iPad and next gen iPhone with the A4.

Apple intentionally released vague release dates to refine final consumer needs, configurations, lock up deals (where possible) adjust prices, then launch. Brilliant move IMO, but not unexpected.

Do some research on the A4 prior to uninformed comments on multitasking. Then again the iPad is designed for users exactly such as yourself. Simply push and click to use.

Apple knows exactly who will purchase the iPad. It very well may not be you or I, but make no mistake. It will be the #1 mobile Tablet in terms of demand by July.

Maybe the Atom Based Tablet with 2.5 hrs of Batt Life will be your ticket. :apple:

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Flash, in it's current implementation isn't touchscreen friendly anyway. Not having a mouse cursor to mouse-over things throws a wrench in the way a lot of current Flash sites work. Less and less people will care about Flash, and popular sites are already figuring out how they will serve their content to iPad users.

Your point is irrelevant. If we are going to talk about the "average customer", then they don't care about plugins and compatibility. They care about accessing their content. I may not like it but a huge chunk of the web is in Flash.

BTW you should read Daring Fireball's post today because he has a link to a vid of Flash 10.1 running on a Nexus One. It ran really well even though, as Jobs stated, it murdered the battery life within 10 minutes.

MMX

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
Manchester
Your point is irrelevant. If we are going to talk about the "average customer", then they don't care about plugins and compatibility. They care about accessing their content. I may not like it but a huge chunk of the web is in Flash.

BTW you should read Daring Fireball's post today because he has a link to a vid of Flash 10.1 running on a Nexus One. It ran really well even though, as Jobs stated, it murdered the battery life within 10 minutes.

Actually your point is irrelevant and millions of iPod Touch and iPhone units sold worldwide proved it.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Let me guess, you were one of the people who didn't understand the iPod Mini. The fact that it went on to be Apple's biggest hit to that date just confused you even more, didn't it?

Look, it's ok to be a techno nerd that hangs out in places like this. I'm one too. But please don't make the mistake of thinking that we are normal. We're not.

THANK YOU!! Best thing i've read all day. People need to realize that the apple users on these message boards and other tech forums/blogs are not your typical consumers. They are usually fairly well educated on various gadgets, understand how they work, etc. The other 90%+ of the world has no idea what the difference between a core 2 duo and an i5 processor is or why 4gb of ram is better than 2 other than the higher number. Your average consumer doesn't even know that apple bans or rejects apps from the app store.

Your average consumer says oh look at all the stuff this thing can do. Your average consumer says oh look, i can install apps with one button click, this is way easier than my computer at home. Your average consumer starts playing on an iphone or ipad and instantly is familiar with the interface because it's intuitive and makes sense.

Your average consumer does not compare bullet points on the side of the box, or bitch about the lack of multitasking, etc. Your average consumer wants something sleek, stylish, affordable, and easy to use. iPad pretty much hits all of those so your average consumer isn't going to realize what the iPad can't do, but rather what it CAN do... and it CAN do quite a lot!

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas

We'll see. Apple won't implement Flash on the iPhone or the iPad. We'll see how it sells. I'm guessing it will do just fine. If I was running a content delivery site, I'd already be preparing for iPad users without Flash. Personally, I'll be doing that with my own site as well.

I did see that. I think the real reason behind not having Flash is that Apple doesn't want to allow the possibility of unapproved code created outside of their APIs running on their devices. Flash can do things Apple doesn't want to allow.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Hmm. Compared to the iphone's "pent up desire" I'm not surprised the ipad is higher. No one is currently under a contract for this type of device, like many of us were for the iphone.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
A bit stunned at the proportion of people wanting the $829 model. You could buy a very decent laptop at that price with a real OS.

Do not be confused. The 19% interested in this model are not among general public but among just 13% of it which are somewhat interested in buying iPad. This means that only 0.19 *0.13 * 100 = 2% of general public are somewhat interested in this model. These people already have a laptop (and a Lexus) so the price is not an issue for them ;)

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
The major market for this are the people that the people on this forum do tech support for. The people who have 200 files on their desktop so they don't lose them.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Not only.

I agree. I'll be buying one for a book/textbook reader among other things. I just think that that's the market many people forget when they say that they have no idea who would buy this thing.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Actually your point is irrelevant and millions of iPod Touch and iPhone units sold worldwide proved it.

You are talking about a phone and a media player. Trying to push this as someone's main computer is a whole different story.

BTW, according to Adobe, 7 million users attempted to download Flash to the iPhone in December alone. Link

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
ok newbies...

the only reason more people want the iPad than they did back when the iPhone was out was because the iPhone was something NEW and REVOLUTIONARY in terms of a phone.

the iPad is not NEW and REVOLUTIONARY....it's a freakin' super-sized iPod Touch....

so, all the newbies out in the world think back and go "hey, the iPhone was a huge hit and i didn't jump on that bandwagon.....guess i better jump on this new iPad bandwagon because surely it'll be just as successful as the iPhone was!"

little do the newbies out there know, this iPad is gonna be some niche product that will utterlly go the way of other sub-par selling Apple products.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
To all the naysayers... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that people who post on computer geek internet forums (like this one... like me)... people who know the difference between a file and a folder... people who care about GHz and RAM and Firewire... are absolutely 100% NOT the audience for the iPad. Get over yourselves.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
My friends, the Great Experiment... the iPad, ready for trial runs.

This is the future.

The potential of the iPad platform is insane. It was apparent from the first minute it was demo'd by Jobs.

Right after, Future Shock hit everyone like runaway train.

iPod phenomenon, part II.

240,000,000 units sold by 2020.

These are just quotes from this one thread. The guy is probably posting from mental institution ;) I did not know they are allowed to have computers in there. :D

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
the only reason more people want the iPad than they did back when the iPhone was out was because the iPhone was something NEW and REVOLUTIONARY in terms of a phone.

the iPad is not NEW and REVOLUTIONARY....it's a freakin' super-sized iPod Touch.

The resolution IS the revolution. Don't you get it? iWorks could never have been done on the iPhone. But it's been completely reworked for the iPad and it's Touch interface. iWorks on the iPad is revolutionary.

What I find funny is that a few years ago... everyone was having a sh*t fit about Jeff Hanns Surface video. Wow. Revolutionary. The future of computing. Now Apple comes out and gives us EXACTLY that... for $500... and everyone says "Pfft... whatevah... it's just a big iPod".

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
To all the naysayers... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that people who post on computer geek internet forums (like this one... like me)... people who know the difference between a file and a folder... people who care about GHz and RAM and Firewire... are absolutely 100% NOT the audience for the iPad. Get over yourselves.

You are probably right. But keep in mind that geeks on average are more affluent than the general population. Many people may not know the difference between iPad and real computer but they also may not have money to but an iPad.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
You are talking about a phone and a media player. Trying to push this as someone's main computer is a whole different story.

BTW, according to Adobe, 7 million users attempted to download Flash to the iPhone in December alone. Link

The iPad was not positioned as anyone's main computer. But it CAN do productivity. There is an iWorks album on Flickr with about 30-40 screenshots and it opened my eyes. The apps that will be possible on this new device will be amazing.

As for Flash? Dead man walking.

MMX

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
Manchester

BTW, according to Adobe, 7 million users attempted to download Flash to the iPhone.

7 million and how many attempts were just to see what will happen? I refuse to believe that 7 million people just threw away their iPhones or Touches. And as a lot people are saying it's up to site owners to make their sites compatible with certain devices. If device has very big user base you have to support it one way or another, because if not, you will lose a lot of unique visitors to your site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.