Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
7 million and how many attempts were just to see what will happen? I refuse to believe that 7 million people just threw away their iPhones or Touches. And as a lot people are saying it's up to site owners to make their sites compatible with certain devices. If device has very big user base you have to support it one way or another, because if not, you will lose a lot of unique visitors to your site.

iPhone had 14.4% market share among smart phones in 2009 which probably translates to less than 0.1% market share for all mobile phones worldwide. I'd say those developers have a lot of work to do before they should look at iPhone customers ;)

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
You are probably right. But keep in mind that geeks on average are more affluent than the general population. Many people may not know the difference between iPad and real computer but they also may not have money to but an iPad.

Oh I don't know. I think the $500 model is priced pretty well. My point is... if you have ever gotten a call like this from your 70 year old Dad... you'll understand why the iPad could be a great product for a lot of people.

Dad: "Ya... my email is broke... I click the button and nothing happens"

Me: "What button Dad?"

Dad: "You know... the button"

Me: "What button do you mean. Are you in Mail right now? What does your menu bar say"

Dad: "Menubar? I don't have a menubar"

Me: "Yes you do Dad. At the top. Tell me what the menubar says"

Dad: "Where is that?"

Me: "Beside the black apple in the top left corner... do you see that?"

Dad: "No. Oh wait. Yes"

Me: "What does it say beside it?"

Dad: "Is says 'Finder'"

Me: "Okay... switch to Mail"

Dad: "How do I do that?"

etc. etc. etc.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I'd be reluctant to admit that level of ignorance.

because everyone has the exact computing needs of you or this guy? Pretty sure there are many people that will use the iPad, just as there are many people who will not use the iPad. It serves a very specific purpose, if you don't have a need for that purpose move along and purchase the next piece of tech instead. Not everything has to be for EVERYONE. Someday you people will understand that!

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
iPhone had 14.4% market share among smart phones in 2009 which probably translates to less than 0.1% market share for all mobile phones worldwide. I'd say those developers have a lot of work to do before they should look at iPhone customers ;)

What relevance does "all mobile phones" have with flash and web browsing? Smartphones are pretty much the only phones people bother to get a data plan for and use for web browsing, and even with some smartphones its still a real pain.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
The iPad was NOT positioned by Jobs as anyone's main computer. But it CAN do productivity. There is an iWorks album on Flickr with about 30-40 screenshots and it opened my eyes. The apps that will be possible on this new device will be amazing.

As for Flash? Dead man walking. I've been railing against that steaming pile for 10 years and can't wait for it to finally give up the ghost.

I was initially responding to a post from someone who believed that this could function as most people's main computer which is a falsehood. Just by the fact that you can't sync an iPhone to it smashes that theory to bits.

I can't wait for Flash to die myself but let's not fool ourselves in thinking the average customer gives a damn. They just want to access the content.

7 million and how many attempts were just to see what will happen? I refuse to believe that 7 million people just threw away their iPhones or Touches. And as a lot people are saying it's up to site owners to make their sites compatible with certain devices. If device has very big user base you have to support it one way or another, because if not, you will lose a lot of unique visitors to your site.

Who knows what their motives were. Chances are that there were 6-7 million people who just didn't know any better in December who just got new iPods during holiday time. As for support for non-Flash devices, it will take time. For all the mention of iPhone/iPod sales, they are still only represent a small part of desktops and smartphones combined.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009

apple had like 80 million iPhones and iPod touches sold at the end of 2009. Wait until the iPad comes out, another year of iPhone and iTouch owners, new iPhone in June, and possiblity that more carriers are supported in the U.S. and I would say that this mobile userbase is nothing to scoff at. I remember an article last year that over 90% of all mobile browsing was done on an iphone or ipod touch.... guess the devs should ignore all these people.. ;)

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I was initially responding to a post from someone who believed that this could function as someone's main computer which is a falsehood.

I can't wait for Flash to die myself but let's not fool ourselves in thinking the average customer gives a damn. They just want to access the content.

There is nothing that my mom currently does with her personal laptop that the iPad cannot currently do with the exception of Hulu, and there is already talk that they are working some sort of iPad app or iPad-friendly website.

Any major website these days pretty much has a version designed specifically for mobile webkit based browsers without flash.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
There is nothing that my mom currently does with her personal laptop that the iPad cannot currently do with the exception of Hulu, and there is already talk that they are working some sort of iPad app or iPad-friendly website.

Any major website these days pretty much has a version designed specifically for mobile webkit based browsers without flash.

If she gets an iPod or an iPhone she can't sync to the iPad. The iPad is an iPod. It is a slave device.

MMX

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
Manchester

Since when all mobile phone have good web browsers? iPhone has reached the point you can't ignore it add iPod Touch and crazy amount of iPads and guess again :p

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
If she gets an iPod or an iPhone she can't sync to the iPad. The iPad is an iPod. It is a slave device.

This would probably replace her iPod, and she uses a cellphone provided by her work so that doesn't really matter. The only other thing she connects to her laptop is her camera to offload pictures, and Apple has an adapter for that.

Cross-device syncing actually seems like something Apple could implement one day though.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009

you don't know that, who is to say a dock adapter cannot be produced that allows usb devices to be plugged into the iPad so that a user may sync their ipod, digital cameras, etc. Just because you don't see it today doesn't mean you won't be able to do it tomorrow. Look at the iphone today compared to it's release 2.5 years ago... the iphone is a much different animal once devs started making apps and accessories were released.

The car was not built in one day... neither was the iPad. When looking at a device you also need to look at future potential, not just what the device can do at the moment.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
because everyone has the exact computing needs of you or this guy?

No, because he's too stupid to be able to envision how it could be useful to large numbers of people just because it's not useful to him. For my part, I readily acknowledge that not everyone needs such a device. I say more power to 'em but I wish they'd refrain from coming on these websites and shrieking their ignorance of other people's needs.

Note: I originally quoted the wrong poster - meant to quote:

I still cant figure out why anyone would want that piece of crap.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
you don't know that, who is to say a dock adapter cannot be produced that allows usb devices to be plugged into the iPad so that a user may sync their ipod, digital cameras, etc.

From Apple's site:

ipadcameraconnect.jpg

All that's needed for cross-device syncing is software support.

coleridge78

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
A bit stunned at the proportion of people wanting the $829 model. You could buy a very decent laptop at that price with a real OS.

This is what separates us from 99% of the world. More than 99%, in fact. They don't WANT a real OS. It does nothing but get in their way while they try to work and make them make decisions about things they don't understand. My refrigerator doesn't nag me about tuning the freon recirculation when I add more beer to it. Computers, 35 years into the PC revolution, have stayed fairly ridiculous.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada

Agreed. Apple is really pushing the boundaries by dropping it. But you can't blame them really. They want everyone to use HTML5 and Quicktime. Understandable. Plus, allowing Flash would take away a lot of App Store development opportunities (games and such). Lots of reasons for them not to support it. But using my OWN argument about my Dad... he would really care less about the geeky ins and outs of Flash and it's history and Apple's motives... etc. He just wants to use Hulu. Nevertheless... I support their move to abandon Flash. It's already pushing sites like Hulu to re-build their websites. Which is good news for everyone in the long run. But ya... Apple is pushing the envelope there. Just like when they ditched the floppy drive.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
No, because he's too stupid to be able to envision how it could be useful to large numbers of people just because it's not useful to him. For my part, I readily acknowledge that not everyone needs such a device. I say more power to 'em but I wish they'd refrain from coming on these websites and shrieking their ignorance of other people's needs.

I still can't figure out why anyone wouldn't want that piece of crap.

perhaps reading > you???.. he was saying he CAN NOT see why people WOULD NOT want an iPad.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager you two are on the same side! ;):p:D

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
By buying now, I'll have an extra year of enjoying the iPad and all it can do NOW....

If the iPad had never come out, would you still feel the same "omigawd Apple'd better come out with a tablet right now because I wantwantwantwantwant one!!1!!!11!!!" way that you do now? It amazes me how little people want to wait these days. I've even been hearing people say that they'll be buying the Wifi model as soon as it comes out and then replacing it with a 3G when it comes out, as if they can't wait a month.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If the iPad had never come out, would you still feel the same "omigawd Apple'd better come out with a tablet right now because I wantwantwantwantwant one!!1!!!11!!!" way that you do now? It amazes me how little people want to wait these days. I've even been hearing people say that they'll be buying the Wifi model as soon as it comes out and then replacing it with a 3G when it comes out, as if they can't wait a month.
Patience and frugality are lost skills nowadays.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
I've even been hearing people say that they'll be buying the Wifi model as soon as it comes out and then replacing it with a 3G when it comes out, as if they can't wait a month.

They could wait, but why if they don't have to? Nothing wrong with people spending their money however they choose.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
For my part, I readily acknowledge that not everyone needs such a device. I say more power to 'em but I wish they'd refrain from coming on these websites and shrieking their ignorance of other people's needs.

The point of us "iPad haters" coming here is to explain to people why they're making a mistake. It seems everyone has fallen into the "if-Apple-makes-a-portable-device-that-isn't-a-Mac-then-it-must-be-good" mentality, which is not a good way of thinking. People need to know that there are devices that have the same form factor as an iPad (tablet, not necessarily the same screen size though), but do everything the iPad does-- plus more-- better. And then there's netbooks, which would fit most iPad users' needs.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I'm surprised that any percentage of the population would hold off buying a desktop computer for possibly buying a super-portable device.

In my case, I need portability and I need to run Microsoft's suite of applications, so, do I upgrade my +3 year-old MBP, or do I supplement it with an iPad to extend portability at the expense of some document compatibility?

I like having these kinds of choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.