SURVEY! What Apps do you want on the iPhone? KDev Teans Wants To Know!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TK B$K, Mar 13, 2008.

1. TK B$K macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Hello all! My name is Terry K. and i am now lead manager of a group of brilliant coders for the OS X platform. Were now in full throttle and registered SDK Enterprise developers. We are very Excited and have many plans for the iPhone (and future iTouch) and were casting a survey around the net trying to find out what YOU the general consumer are looking for in new Apps for the 2.0 Update!
    Currently with 2 brilliant apps in the works were looking for more ideas of what you want! We although are not looking into designing games as we would be crushed by multi-billion dollar companys i.e. EA.
    So here it is! A few simple questions that we would like to see answered by you here in this thread! so we may begin creating applications for you!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ALSO: If we use your idea, we will contact you as you being the originator of the idea we would like to give you something for our appreciation!​

Thank you!

Simple as this! Copy and paste this in to a reply to this post and answer the questions!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. In general, what would you like to see on the iPhone as an application?

2. With the High Technology Accelerometer, beside a game what would you like to see this be used as?

3. The iPhone's two mega pixel camera takes amazing pictures, but what else would you like to see this used for?

4. In a short sentence describe yourself with technology in your life.

Out of every single tech device on the market, what is your favorite and why?

Thanks all who participate! Hope to see some great ideas!

Terry K. and the KDev crew!

2. SleepingSicknes macrumors member

IM Platform (MSN, AIM, Yahoo, all in one)

2. With the High Technology Accelerometer, beside a game what would you like to see this be used as?
    Instant Messaging, for easy mobile access.

3. The iPhone's two mega pixel camera takes amazing pictures, but what else would you like to see this used for?
    Video Recording, and the ability to upload photos from your camera to the IM Display picture.

I love APPLE.

5. Out of every single tech device on the market, what is your favorite and why?
    iPhone, it's everything you need.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

IM client; blacklist application (to block numbers); Office compliant editor (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)

Something to enhance the user experience. No specifics.

Video recording; App to upload pictures to blog, Flickr, Photobucket, etc.

Technology is what I depend on for communication, work, play, interaction, and getting to know current events.

5. Out of every single tech device on the market, what is your favorite and why?
    My favorite tech device right now is the Nokia E90. A lot people tell me it's big, but it's full featured and its not much bigger than the iPhone when it's opened up. It's not as elegent of course, but I'm more into functionality. Symbian also has a more mature development community, with a lot more applications. As a phone it's got buttons. I'm used to buttons. I'm not a multitouch fan yet. I also don't like deceptive marketing which Apple does with the iPhone. It's not the first full fledged browser, it doesn't work well as an iPod; seriously as a multimedia phone it's got pretty crappy speakers (and they are quiet too). Most importantly, it's go too many compromises. The E90 doesn't. It's got everything, from GPS to a simple as background multitasking! I use a blacklist application to block numbers. It needs to run in the background unless it's integrated into the OS. I need an IM client. I need stuff and the iPhone doesn't offer any yet. I may come back to it later.

4. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I would really like to see a good graphing calculator. A straight port of the ti-83, and/or ti-89 wouldn't be bad. But adding features like color, and iphone actions would be awesome.
    Also a google chat app that works.
    Ability to control itunes, air tunes, and apple TV.
    Bluetooth keyboard support.
    Ability to take video, basic edit, then upload to youtube.
    Google calender intigration.
    keynote / powerpoint - remote control
    VOIP over wifi
    I know I have more, but thats all I can think of right now.

Technology is my life. :rolleyes:

The iPhone rocks.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

A/= I would say a general IM platform, but I bet many people would have already said that, so I would say a Unit Converter.

A/= A surface leveler. Only thing besides gaming I could think of :p

A/= Video chat would be nice

A/= Like technology and think of it as a way to help out everyday life.

A/= Gaming wise, the Wii takes the cake.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would love a digital voice recorder that would integrate well with iTunes, but that may be an Apple thing. Another thing is an RSS organizer (I don't know if the iPhone even does RSS).

For a freebie or cheapie, a level for use in light construction (just make the screen a big bubble).

Video (duh), but easy uploads of photos to Facebook, MySpace, Flickr, etc. A quick resizing app may be good for certain times (we have to make photos no bigger than 350 pixels wide for our Web site).

I edit pages and occasionally write stories at a newspaper.

Out of every single tech device on the market, what is your favorite and why?
    The iPhone. I always carry around my cell phone and 30GB iPod with me, so that would reduce it all to one device and add a lot of connectivity features like mail that would make life a little easier. My phone does calendar and alarm stuff, but it does it very sucky.

Thanks all who participate! Hope to see some great ideas!

Terry K. and the KDev crew![/QUOTE]

7. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

(IM app but here's a new one) some sort of shipment tracker (ups, fedex, usps, etc... maybe set up like the add mail client screen).

pedometer

item recognition (take a photo and it cross-references with a user-contributed db)

apple...

iphone, for its potential and blahblahblah.

8. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Apple's already done the work for two of you...

BubbleLevel is part of Apple's sample code.

Attached Files:

9. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

Social networking with roots in the cell triangulation software the Maps app. currently uses.

The ability to switch from portrait to landscape to input text.

Video Recording

Always connected

The iPhone - it goes with me everywhere and provides the perfect cure for boredom.

10. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

I want to see a Financial Calulator, like you would use in Finance class.

Also, AIM/MSN Messanger.

I would also like to see a someone create a program, that can theme the iPhone OS. I mean, change colors of Safari, etc etc.

11. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

Here you go.

Here are a few things. Thing 1. Even if you consider people consumers, don't call us that to our faces. It's not nice. Especially to those of us who don't go around generally consuming like insatiable pigs.

Two, your questions. I couldn't care less about pretty colours. I'd just like to see the limitations that keep this device from being a seriously functional smartphone disappear.

1. An app that creates a partition of the drive that acts as a thumb drive, so when the device is plugged via USB into a Mac or a windows box, it mounts like any generic thumb drive. This way, we can keep our personal and critical project files with us, & can access them from any computer, without having to install configure server & client apps everywhere we go.

2. A plugin for Safari that, when you hold your finger on a link, pops up a clickable "Save As..." feature. Pics, Video, Zip files, anything. It shouldn't matter if the format is immediately readable, if it's there to be downloaded, I should be able to download it.

3. "Numbers" ported over. Bonus points if we can sync our files between workstation & iphone, via usb (say, from the partition in #1), so we don't have to email them to ourselves, from ourselves.

4. A utility that lets you sync Notes (iPhone) to Notes (Leopard). Or, a real text editor, but one that synchronizes with itself back on the workstation.

5. A better photo viewer, or one with a better file system & user controls. The stock photo app one is a monster space hog, inflating images up to five times their file size (size on disk, not image size), and only lets you add or remove images by syncing entire folders over via itunes. ? I hope whosever ideas those were got fired. Yay, battery saving by not decoding jpegs, but not user-friendly in the least, especially on a device with limited drivespace.

6. A 'tap and type' ToDo list, that lets you drag items around for priority or sequence, and check off or delete items when they're done, without having to tap a million menu buttons like the two current ToDo apps (with all that fiddling around, it's quicker to just type and retype items in Notes).

Accelerometer Functionality?

How about an option to have the camera angle-snap the photo you're taking if you're within a specifiable few degrees of horizontal or vertical? That'd be handy.

Camera Functionality?

Video Recording. If we can do it unofficially, we should be able to do it officially. I don't care if it uses the battery. Of course it uses the battery. I didn't buy this device to have it not use its battery.

With technology in my life...

Hot-headed, callous, and demanding. Also, very, very productive.

Favorite device:

This one. Most untapped potential per pound going.

12. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Would love for the KDev team to become part of iPhoneSDK.co.uk!

13. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Last year 24.5 million portable GPS devices were sold in Europe and the USA with higher forecasts for 2008. Anyone who can get GPS software up and running on a iPhone with a seperate bluetooth/wifi GPS receiver has a vast market to tap into.

14. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Dice rolling App. Pick my dice, shake to roll. Auto adds.

An excellent Kismac level/quaility wireless sniffer with histogram so I can map out wireless problems around the house.

A traceroute tool with world mapping.

Leopard troubleshooting App like a digitised version of the o'reilly os minibook series.

Pedometer.

G meter.

Video.

iphone. technology cutting edge and all round convenience.

15. mikelliott macrumors member

How about a note program thats integrates with the native notes program where you can draw a quick note or a diagram. Kind of like Bug Me for the WM devices.

16. frjps macrumors member

2 Ideas

I would like to see a Spotlight type of search application. Be able to find anything anywhere on your iPhone, including the text inside of documents. I would also like a really good PDF reader, with search capabilities. And finally, a text-to-speech application would be awesome (for times when I'm in my car, for example, & want to have an email or text message or whatever read to me).

Have to think more about this one.

How about the ability to read a bar code on a product in the store that I would like more information on, like reviews, pricing, where to buy, etc.?

Love to impress my friends with my Apple products!

Definitely the iPhone. Use it constantly throughout the day for so many things.

17. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

that is actually a really good idea.

18. oliverlubin macrumors regular

along the lines of the previous poster, how about an application that you can take a snapshot of a business card (having framed it properly in a dedicated area of the screen) and import the info directly into your contacts? some element of OCR would be needed i would assume.

i would love to be able to accept a card from someone, take that snapshot and hand it back to them and say, "thanks, ive got your info. will be in touch."

19. TK B$K thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you everyone who has contributed to this project so far! were still looking for more people to fill out the survey so please, keep em coming!

TK and the KDev Crew.

20. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

Somehow use the triangulation with having someone else locate me or for instance when I was using mobile chat it would have been nice to have my g/f look at a screen on her computer letting her know where I was, because of my phone. Or if some little punk kid ba$tard steals my iPhone, I can hunt him down, punch him in the face and get MY phone back

Tells me how many G's I reached as I hit the ground from a trip or fall *shrugs* I see no use for it otherwise

x-ray camera!.....The usual, video recording

An Apple product somewhere within arms reach

Pace Maker, because someone wearing one you can sneak up on them and scare them and give them a shock they won't forget (True story)

21. pake macrumors regular

A mobile version of Grapher would be incredible useful (for me). A unit converter, dictionaries, and so on. Mostly productivity apps.

You could use it to make a 3D drawing. Or even measure distances.

Video..

Technology is always in my life.

The iPhone's got a lot of potential. A modern car's inboard computer.

22. TK B$K thread starter macrumors 6502

Just alittle update from me and the KDev Crew, We have started coding another app just tonight! I wont release the specifics all i will say is it has something to do with the Camera. Its a brilliant app and will bring many people joy, hopefully we get it out before everyone else!

Also you might rember me posing a thread about having the Million dollar app idea but no mac and no help, well since then i have a "wealthy" development crew of about 10 persons. And also, i made the dash and bought a fully loaded Octo Mac Pro it has been coding apps ever since i first turned it on.

Oh and that million dollar app idea.......... has been completed tonight. Thanks to the help of the crew, were sure we will be seeing this on EVERY iPhone and im not just saying that, i know it :)

thanks from the KDev Crew! TK!

23. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

I would like to see a remote control for your tv. I don't know if it is possible. I want this app because I always seem to lose my remote, but I always have my iphone by me.

It would be nice if you shakes the iphone twice it would go to safari, and if you shook it twice it would go to text. It would be sort of like a "speed dialing" for the iphone

I would like an application that you can take pictures with and then geotag them on maps. I would also like a video camera.

Here's a situation that happens to me often "sends a txt to a couple of my friends saying that we should go bowling tonight" They respond, we then agree on a time and place, and meet there.

5. Out of every single tech device on the market, what is your favorite and
    why?
    The iphone, you can have the web, camera, email, ipod, mail, videos, phone, with you all in one device.

Here is a situation on How I would use the remote control app and the geotagging app:

Go to the beach with my friends, snap a couple of pics with my iphone, go into maps, find location, upload pics to that location so other people can see what is around that area. Go home, turn on the TV with my iphone.

24. admanimal macrumors 68040

This thread reminds me of the famous Henry Ford quote, "If I'd have asked my customers what they wanted, they would have told me 'A faster horse.'"

25. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

Ok, in that case, I want a space shuttle.