Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A pair of surveys released last week reveal strong pent-up demand for a Verizon iPhone, which has been the subject of increasing rumors in recent weeks with claims of a release as soon as January.

111721-morpace_verizon.jpg

Market research firm Morpace has published the results (PDF) of a survey finding 29% of surveyed consumers either very or somewhat likely to purchase an iPhone should it become available on Verizon, with existing Verizon customers showing particular interest in the handset should it come to their carrier of choice. In particular, the strong interest among current Verizon customers suggests that bringing the iPhone to the carrier could have the double effect of both opening the device up to new customers as well as drawing them away from other smartphone platform such as Android, which has proven very popular with Verizon customers.

111549-morpace_verizon_switch.jpg

Interestingly, the survey also shows that nearly half of AT&T iPhone customers "would consider" a Verizon iPhone, with over a third of AT&T iPhone customers actively holding off from upgrading their handsets while they wait for the iPhone to make its way to other carriers.

111549-changewave_verizon_switch.jpg

That last data point is echoed in a separate survey conducted by ChangeWave that found 31% of current iPhone 4 owners either very or somewhat likely to switch to Verizon should the iPhone become available there. Those users are obviously already under a new two-year contract with AT&T, however, as they have just upgraded to the iPhone 4, and so it is unknown how soon after a Verizon iPhone launch they would be willing and able to make the switch.

ChangeWave previously released data showing AT&T as the biggest drag on iPhone satisfaction ratings, with a leading 27% of iPhone 4 customers citing AT&T's exclusivity for the iPhone as a reason for disliking the device, and 24% of users specifically pointing to the performance of the carrier's 3G network as a top drawback.

Article Link: Surveys Show Pent-Up Demand for Verizon iPhone, Would-Be AT&T Defectors Waiting to Upgrade

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I'm always in the minority; I really like ATT.

Im with you. Verizon has been no better for me in baltimore!

What are the amount of people being surveyed in this survey anyways? i dont remember getting asked these questions as an ATT iphone owner :)

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I'm staying put. When tons of users leave for another network, AT&T will finally be able to handle the load due to less strain. :)

iCrizzo

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Burlington, VT
I don't think ATT will lose customers or at least not a lot. But I think it will hamper hurt new customers a lot, at least those that want a iPhone. I have never had a problem with ATT service, its just the other stuff they have done, limiting tethering and iPad 3G prices changes, etc..

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Im not complaining about AT&T but I think their plans are a bit of a rape to the consumer...

Sprint by far has the best data everything plan, If the phone comes to Verizon it will also come to Sprint (both use CDMA) and if thats the case Apple might as well open it up to T-Mobile.

Its time Apple gives people Choice with there products. AT&T hasnt done much to look out for the comsumer.. Not to mention the bait and switch of the iPad 3G data plan, they could have at least allowed a 5GB Cap instead of 2GB knowing that device is more consumption oriented.

Its like there doing things backward.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm staying put. When tons of users leave for another network, AT&T will finally be able to handle the load due to less strain. :)

Ha ha, exactly.

AT&T service has been very poor for me these last two and a half years, but I'd still stick with them. I prefer poor service to a poor company. When AT&T messes up I can't help but feel they're just a bit dopey and have a hard time figuring things out. You know, like a puppy. Verizon's misteps, on the other hand, tend to be more of the 'James-Bond-Villain' variety.

I just can't see myself ever going to Verizon. (I'd certainly consider T-Mobile or Sprint, though. Here's hoping they're not left out.)

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I am a Verizon user that will have a contract up in March (currently can upgrade early.)

I am going to wait out the rest of my contract and if the iPhone appears around that time, I will get it. If not, I can't wait for a new phone.

macadam212

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Not that I'm an expert at all, far from it, but I thought I read somewhere that verizon used CDMA, which was inferior to GSM, which the rest of the world are using. So why would customers want to use a network based on out dated technology?????

Can someone help me out here. :D

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Not that I'm an expert at all, far from it, but I thought I read somewhere that verizon used CDMA, which was inferior to GSM, which the rest of the world are using. So why would customers want to use a network based on out dated technology?????

Can someone help me out here. :D

Because LTE won't have blanket coverage for a few years and a verizon phone has to fall back on something when there is no LTE coverage, just like AT&T's 3G coverage falls back on EDGE or GPRS. BTW, not 100% of the rest of the world uses GSM. There are several countries that use CDMA. Germany, Russia, and Poland come to mind. There are over 540 million CDMA suscribers worldwide. Not as much as GSM mind you, but still a decent number.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Count me in for the iPhone V... I will never go to a subpar network like AT&T. Verizon is the best network, and within 18 months they will unleash the real deal 4G(LTE).

In 2012, the best phone with the best network will be out on the market - the Verizon iPhone 4G :cool:

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
Why am I never asked my opinion in these surveys....

I'll stick with AT&T. I'm very happy with their service. Having used a Verizon phone for work, I can say (in my area) that there is no real difference in coverage and AT&T is consistently faster.

There are a lot of places in the U.S. where Verizon has better coverage than anyone else.

What would you rather have: "Old" technology that works or "New" technology that keeps cutting out and is unreliable?

For a lot of people that's an easy choice.

How many times am I in BFE where I need service with the "old" technology... maybe once or twice a year and I'm probably camping, so I don't want service anyhow.

macadam212

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Because LTE won't have blanket coverage for a few years and a verizon phone has to fall back on something when there is no LTE coverage, just like AT&T's 3G coverage falls back on EDGE or GPRS. BTW, not 100% of the rest of the world uses GSM. There are several countries that use CDMA. Germany, Russia, and Poland come to mind. There are over 540 million CDMA suscribers worldwide. Not as much as GSM mind you, but still a decent number.

I see, thanks ghostface147, always wondered what the issue was.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008

How can it be outdated when it is the current technology of the largest wireless carrier in the US?

The rest of the world isn't using GSM (exclusively) either - CDMA is used by hundreds of carriers worldwide that service about 500 million people.

Candera

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
California
All comes down to money

I'm currently waiting for the white iPhone and my contract with AT&T is going to be up in November.

If Verizon does get the iPhone soon. The only thing that will encourage me to switch carriers is service price.

I never had an issue with AT&T service. I do however take issue with their pricing scheme in regards to data plans, and tethering.

If Verizon can beat them on that they'll get my business. If not I may bite the bullet and jailbreak my phone so I can tether. I'm not looking forward to that option as it seems like a hassle when it comes to new firmware, backing up, glitchy apps, locking up...

~Candera

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
From California, to the New York Island

My friend Bill is getting married in California this Saturday, and he forgot some stuff in his apartment that he needs me to bring to him when I fly out there later this week.

(as a word of background, we both have iPhones on AT&T).

Last night, and also this morning, he called my cell phone to work out what he forgot. I want to make sure I get everything he needs, but AT&T sucks so bad, both in New York and San Diego, that I'm not sure if I heard him right. He either needs me to bring his "iPad Dock" or his "Eye Mat Ock" or his "hi hat lock"!

What i'm saying is, all cellular telephones, but especially iPhone on AT&T, completely suck. If I had more time, I'd tell you how my girlfriend missed out on a job because of iPhone's visual voicemail malfunctioning.

YOU'RE MAKING ME LONG FOR THE DAYS WHEN I HAD A PAGER ON PAGENET!!!

:apple::apple::apple::apple::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.