Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
RevA

Also, 100% of early adopter iPhone4 owners will not be switching to the Verizon phone because they are locked to AT&T for TWO YEARS! Ouch.

Can't wait for the Verizon phone this January!!! :D:D:apple::apple::D:D

Antenna issue fixed? CHECK
No more dropped calls? CHECK
Better iPhone? CHECKMATE!!!!!!!!!!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
How many times am I in BFE where I need service with the "old" technology... maybe once or twice a year and I'm probably camping, so I don't want service anyhow.

For the last decade here in DC you could only get Verizon in the subway tunnels. For people with a 30-40 minute commute both ways, that's a big deal. That's hardly out in BFE.

I know lots of people had Verizon for exactly that reason.

(This has started to change recently, but I'm sure there are other places like that.)

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Please please please hurry this up. Let the AT&T/Verizon issue DIE once and for all so the rest of us can get some damn peace!

DIE DIE DIE!

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Can't open the pdf so maybe this is already answered, but more than VZ I'd be curious how well Sprint and T-Mobile would poll for the iPhone. Call me a naysayer, but I really think Sprint and maybe T-Mobile are next in line for the iPhone. I think VZ is going in hard for Android and I think Sprint and T-Mobile would be more willing to accept Apple's conditions.

In fact offering the phone to every other major carrier could also pressure VZ into caving into more compliant to Apple demands (whatever they may be).

mweingar

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2004
Orange County, CA
Verizon falls short in two areas

1 - Simultaneous data and voice - they don't have it

2 - World coverage. I travel a lot and there just aren't that many countries that have the same network hardware.

Perhaps these dynamics change as we enter 4G. I don't see evidence of that though. If someone knows, please surprise me.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

2 - World coverage. I travel a lot and there just aren't that many countries that have the same network hardware.

Perhaps these dynamics change as we enter 4G. I don't see evidence of that though. If someone knows, please surprise me.

The "dynamics" is that 4G solves both of those problems. What else do you need to know? What 'evidence' do you need?

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
except that until VzB is only LTE or LTE with a GSM fall back then they are still the wrong standard. Get with the world.

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
While I know there are those that are frustrated with AT&T's service, I wouldn't be shocked to see them have the exact same troubles if not more so on another network. The iPhone put a huge demand on AT&T' service and it has taken time to sort out in all areas.

Other carriers will be in the same position, assuming a large adoption rate. If anything, they will be more behind the curve thus leading to a more frustrating user experience.

The only other carrier that comes close to coverage is Verion. If a phone ever came to Verizon and it was CDMA it remains to be seen if you can do data/voice at the same time. If not that could end up being more frustrating for those who are jumping ship. Forget about multitasking if you can't do both simultaneously, since that would render that moot.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
My friend Bill is getting married in California this Saturday, and he forgot some stuff in his apartment that he needs me to bring to him when I fly out there later this week.

(as a word of background, we both have iPhones on AT&T).

Last night, and also this morning, he called my cell phone to work out what he forgot. I want to make sure I get everything he needs, but AT&T sucks so bad, both in New York and San Diego, that I'm not sure if I heard him right. He either needs me to bring his "iPad Dock" or his "Eye Mat Ock" or his "hi hat lock"!

What i'm saying is, all cellular telephones, but especially iPhone on AT&T, completely suck. If I had more time, I'd tell you how my girlfriend missed out on a job because of iPhone's visual voicemail malfunctioning.

YOU'RE MAKING ME LONG FOR THE DAYS WHEN I HAD A PAGER ON PAGENET!!!

:apple::apple::apple::apple::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you have that many issues, why do you have at&t and an iphone to begin with? If i were you I'd ditch it in a second if I was in a bad place like you were....seems like you're just torturing yourself at this point

nighttrain2008

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
ATT's service

Couldn't wait for the phone, switched to Verizon last week and the X. Having to learn a new OS but the phone does what my iPhone couldn't and that's make calls. Next year if Verizon does get the iPhone I would love to go back as Android really is annoying. Co-worker said it best, Apple has the customer experience in phones down pat. Problem is their service provider is second rate

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Also, 100% of early adopter iPhone4 owners will not be switching to the Verizon phone because they are locked to AT&T for TWO YEARS! Ouch.

LOL How can you check off things you have zero confirmations of? LOL, dude slows you're roll, you dont even have the phone yet, nor close to getting it on VZW these are rumors like the last million buddy. hahaha, god I love threads like this...:D

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
In the Washington, DC area, Verizon rules. It has been way better than AT&T since before the iPhone was first released. It was really hard leaving Verizon to go to AT&T. I had been an AT&T customer in the past and hated it. Verizon is so much better. Probably the biggest thing is AT&T's signal is not good at penetrating walls. So, if I'm out and about and I want to text someone, I usually have to find a window, which seems absurd to me.

Now the AT&T signal has been getting better in areas, but it still sucks. I can't tell you how many times I want to do something on my phone that involves having a signal (for internet or whatever) and my signal strength is too low. I see other people on their phones and it makes me jealous of their carrier.

So, I will definitely switch to a Verizon iPhone. But please note: I think the surveys are a little skewed. I had to pay extra to get an iPhone 4 since I was upgrading early ($200 more). So switching to the Verizon iPhone will cost me extra yet again. I will have to break my contract with AT&T early. So while folks might want a Verizon phone, many might not actually do it right away to avoid the extra costs. Regardless of the costs, I am going to get a Verizon iPhone as soon as it comes out.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Not that I'm an expert at all, far from it, but I thought I read somewhere that verizon used CDMA, which was inferior to GSM, which the rest of the world are using. So why would customers want to use a network based on out dated technology?????

Can someone help me out here. :D

This history has really gotten muddy and the truth most people do not understand it because it is very techno.

GSM cover a wide range of cell singals but lets go back to before 3G.
GSM was a TDMA based signal this is what Egde and GPRS are is TDMA based. 3G is WCDMA which is a type of CDMA.

THe CDMA carriers are using CDMA2000 which is another type of CDMA.
Now I am going to more about TDMA vs CDMA. TDMA has and has advantages over CDMA in it has longer range and requires less power. Draw backs are TDMA can have fewer people on it vs. same range of CDMA and TDMA could get drown out by to many CDMA phones in a given area.
CDMA has advantages like more people per given tower, it is much better for data and it is much more secure than TDMA. It punches threw building better but it it is harder on the battery and requires more towers.

Now with TDMA carriers started switching over to 3G they ran into problem like their tower placement was optimism for TDMA and not CDMA. Plus they were required to install a bunch of new hardware. CDMA carriers going 3G had advantages like their tower placement was already optimisms for the CDMA signal and really all they had to do was a software update.

Verizon and other CDMA carriers if you look at it this way their hardware lasted 2 times as long as the GSM carriers and they had much better tower placement.

Back in the day before 3G and it was TDMA vs CDMA** CDMA was by far better and had a longer life span but it also cost more in royalies and had to be paid to Quadcomm who owned the patents on it. TDMA took off because it was cheaper and then the EU required it for their phones. That is the real reason GSM took off.

LTE makes sense for Verizon to jump over to the GSM standard because they have to replace their equipment any how to go LTE so might as well go over to the standard everyone else is using. It did not make sense to jump before hand.

bspence

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Fios

I have Fios, which means I have extra incentive to switch. There are ways you can interact with your TV if you have FIOS and a Verizon phone. Set up your DVR, that sort of thing. Verizon won't let you do that with any other cell phone service. Also, I really had great service when I had Verizon and hated AT&T's reception as soon as I got an iPhone. I'll definitely switch back.

wrlsmarc

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
SIMULTANEOUS VOICE AND DATA = NO - oh lets see, Verizon can't do that. Why would Apple build and iPhone that lacks such a highly demanded feature. T-Mobile will get the iPhone first. I am willing to bet on that.

tennisbum

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2004
There's a reason why these market research firms exist......

MBAs at these companies have no time to do some real ground work, meeting real customers to find out what their needs are. Instead, they rely on these market research firms to "build" these market research reports, buy the reports at a premium to integrate into their PowerPoint presentation and call it a day's work. ;-)

Anyhow, it'll be great for the Verizon iPhone release. All should defect to Verizon, freeing up more bandwidths for me to use. :p

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I have Fios, which means I have extra incentive to switch. There are ways you can interact with your TV if you have FIOS and a Verizon phone. Set up your DVR, that sort of thing. Verizon won't let you do that with any other cell phone service. Also, I really had great service when I had Verizon and hated AT&T's reception as soon as I got an iPhone. I'll definitely switch back.

That is pretty crappy of Verizon. On AT&T Uverse you can access it from the mobile web and they are rolling out apps so it can be used by other smart phones as well.

That sucks that Verizon will not do that for their services.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008

1. You are able to text and talk at the same time on CDMA, but that's the extent of it. Not an issue if on wi-fi of course. LTE will solve this, but all phones will still use CDMA for voice. LTE is a data service at it's current level.

2. Where do you travel? I am sure most locations probably use GSM, but maybe some of the places you travel use CDMA?

davidgrimm

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
North Texas
Please count me!

I'm a ATT customer until this Friday, when I will be a T-Mobile customer on the month to month plan. If another carrier gets the iPhone, I'd likely switch to them provided they have service at my house. Everybody claims to have service at my address, but ATT's signal was too weak. T-Mob's signal is better, but still not 5 bars.

To leave ATT either my daughter will have to move her phone to her mother's ATT account, go on her own, or pay the Adios MF fee...

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
If you have that many issues, why do you have at&t and an iphone to begin with? If i were you I'd ditch it in a second if I was in a bad place like you were....seems like you're just torturing yourself at this point

I plan on leaving AT&T as soon as I am out of contract (Oct. 2010). I'll probably get an iPad or an iPod touch so I can keep using all those glorious apps that I love so much like Instapaper, Reeder, Wikipanion, Simplenote, et al.

I'm just so disappointed with cellular telephony in general in this country. We should have data transfer rates as good as low level wi-fi by now. I think I made clearer calls in my uncle's car phone in 1985!!! Why have they gone backwards in the last 25 years!?!?!?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.