Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
A merger of the #3 and #4 carriers would still leave them behind AT&T which is #2. Verizon is way out in front.

I prefer if Legere to stay hungry and foolish. You don't want to see TMo get arrogant. More competition, better prices.

Actually none of this stuff really matters to me when I'm considering moving back to Verizon. TMo at Anaheim Hills is pretty bad.

Verizon really is the best network period for me. Best coverage and fastest data speed from my personal experience in my area.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Disagree. Sprint offers spectrum in the boonies.
[doublepost=1509840751][/doublepost]

That's the thing. TMo didn't decide that. Sprint decided they were too arrogant to let TMo take the wheel.

But what if the cost for spectrum is too high and counterintuitive? T-Mobile had a bargaining position and they didn't feel there was sufficient room to reach an agreement. T-Mobile already has a strong position to improve its network for the next generation.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
But what if the cost for spectrum is too high and counterintuitive? T-Mobile had a bargaining position and they didn't feel there was sufficient room to reach an agreement. T-Mobile already has a strong position to improve its network for the next generation.

I really don't think TMo backed off. By all reports, the problem is Softbank.

Also, unrelated, the Samsung keyboard keeps ****ing up on my Note8. How is it so hard to make a keyboard that knows how to just put the ' in don't and not delete the t?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I really don't think TMo backed off. By all reports, the problem is Softbank.

Also, unrelated, the Samsung keyboard keeps ****ing up on my Note8. How is it so hard to make a keyboard that knows how to just put the ' in don't and not delete the t?

I thought I was the only one with that issue on my Note 8 as well. I am using SwiftKey though. Isn't becomes "isn'."

Softbank needs to cut its losses since Sprint is a losing cause.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I thought I was the only one with that issue on my Note 8 as well. I am using SwiftKey though. Isn't becomes "isn'."

Softbank needs to cut its losses since Sprint is a losing cause.

All reports are pointing to SoftBank not being pleased with the idea that TMo would lead the combined company.

Also, GBoard seems to be able to do what Samsung Keyboard cannot.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I used to use sprint for my phone, and I’ve used T-Mobile for my iPad, and they both sucked. For a year T-Mobile couldn’t get it working reliably. Sprint had crappy reception in most places I used it.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
All reports are pointing to SoftBank not being pleased with the idea that TMo would lead the combined company.

Also, GBoard seems to be able to do what Samsung Keyboard cannot.

Softbank doesn't deserve a say after not doing much with Sprint.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I want my CD'S back!
[doublepost=1509857693][/doublepost]
I used to use sprint for my phone, and I’ve used T-Mobile for my iPad, and they both sucked. For a year T-Mobile couldn’t get it working reliably. Sprint had crappy reception in most places I used it.
T mobile is all about the perks. Binge on being #1
Their connectivity isn't as good so they offer perks, I like T mobile, they rock!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I chalk this to Japanese culture. Selling a controlling stake would be an admission of failure. In the US and Europe CEOs will freely admit they screwed up and sell out to the highest bidder.
[doublepost=1509858349][/doublepost]
Good. T-Mobile can snatch them up for cheap in another year or two. Sprint is dead.
Sprint has TONS of spectrum. With competent management they can increase their value.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I chalk this to Japanese culture. Selling a controlling stake would be an admission of failure. In the US and Europe CEOs will freely admit they screwed up and sell out to the highest bidder.
[doublepost=1509858349][/doublepost]
Sprint has TONS of spectrum. With competent management they can increase their value.
That's the thing.. they won't.

Reactions: KPOM

ceparker27

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Switch to Sprint and you’d see why, Sprint has a network that is moving at a snails pace from 2009.
I actually have Sprint and like it. Haven't run into most of the issues people have talked about with Sprint here.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
A merger of the #3 and #4 carriers would still leave them behind AT&T which is #2. Verizon is way out in front.

I prefer if Legere to stay hungry and foolish. You don't want to see TMo get arrogant. More competition, better prices.

Actually none of this stuff really matters to me when I'm considering moving back to Verizon. TMo at Anaheim Hills is pretty bad.

Verizon really is the best network period for me. Best coverage and fastest data speed from my personal experience in my area.
Your comment is excellent. I am in the same boat as you are. I was with T-Mobile for a year. Cheap price with a lot of hidden costs or inconveniences. After experiencing no or weak signals within my city and no signal inside building, i.e. basement, gym, Target, etc I decided that was it. It was time to change to have the best carrier. I would rather pay more with reliable signals / services. We usually get what we pay for. Verizon is definitely worth every penny. Off course, Verizon phone is the best model in the market :) even other carriers’ customers are drolling to get Verizon phone with unethical behavior by opening a Verizon account then closing it after getting the best model phone. I hope Verizon will find a way to deal with this behavior in an ethical way.

AppleFan78

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2014
Sprint is trying hard to get back switchers. I switched to Verizon when I got new iPhone Xs on Friday. I got an email from Sprint saying I have 14 days to go back, and they're offering $300 per line in credits for going back.

Sorry Sprint. It was a good run, but it's just not worth it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 9.23.00 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 9.23.00 AM.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 91

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I’m glad they’re calling off. Sprint tricked me into joining them because of that free for 1 year. Then I realized how bad their network and constantly frustrated how terrible it is. But I cannot really complain that much because it’s free. But next year We’re going back to T-Mobile and I hope Legere forgives me for doing this. For now a $150 monthly saving for my family is worth as long that I can text and call and occasional browsing. But once I start paying $160 I’m not wasting my money into their network, unless something magical happens in the next 7 months.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
People didn't think this was really going to happen did they? How many times have these two talked about merging with no results?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Good. Sprint needs to focus on fixing their network or offering better incentives. They’re highly desperate right now. They recently offered 10 free phones if I opened a business account with them but with their horrible network it’s not an option for me.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Unfortunately this means we will continue to enjoy a mostly crappy Tmo network. It will be at least another 5 years at best before their 600Mhz spectrum is fully deployed and by then everybody else will have a much better network than Tmo anyway. Unfortunately when it comes to addressing customer's immediate needs Tmo is one of the worse carriers, they simply ignore you when you report any sort of service issue to them. Been using Tmo for over two years now and quite honestly my single reason for using them is being able to use my phone when traveling outside the US (free text messaging, free capped slow data). I have no other reason to use the service I can get much better service for the same or less cost with AT&T which I previously used for about 10 years. At the end of the day I'm very dissatisfied overall with Tmo's service and how they address customer's issues.

-Mike
[doublepost=1509905696][/doublepost]
I want my CD'S back!
[doublepost=1509857693][/doublepost]
T mobile is all about the perks. Binge on being #1
Their connectivity isn't as good so they offer perks, I like T mobile, they rock!

I wish they would scrap the perks like Tmo Tuesdays and instead invest that money in their network to address common things that can be easily addressed. Also would be nice if they would put in place a platform like AT&T has had for many many years called MarkTheSpot that allows a customer to easily report service issues from anywhere at any time and track their outcome without having to deal with clueless customer service reps that have no platform to report or document/address reported issues. And their twitter T-Mobile Help is just a cover up buncha clowns that can't get anything resolved either. One perfect example is an issue I have reported to Tmo for over 2 years, they supposedly opened over 30 tickets for the issue but never did a darn thing about it at all. Over 2 years later the location continues to provide a mostly un-usable LTE data connection that is as fast as my Commodore 64C was using while a 1200 Kbps modem over a POTS line. Even voice calls are affected you can't have a conversation around this area without loss of audio, echo, etc. AT&T works fine in the same area so does Verizon.

-Mike

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.