Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billnye97

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
If you read other comments, you'd see the confusion. I still get the 18 month deal. Not sure of the new conditions or requirements or being grandfathered in, etc.

Wait till you get your new phone. You will then be locked into the 24 month upgrade cycle.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
everything is okay with t-mobile except for it's network coverage, had to get rid of it because of the 'always weak signal strength'.

Paragonal17

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
SC
Wait till you get your new phone. You will then be locked into the 24 month upgrade cycle.

I did get my new phone (in a trial setting). You can only do the trial if you are within a week of upgrade eligibility. So, when I did the trial, it was as if I was signing a contract renewal. I paid for my new phone, received a new upgrade date, got a new contract, etc, etc,. With this new contract, the new upgrade date became 18 months from July 7th (when I started the trial). I'm not debating whether this change took place. I'm simply saying there must be exceptions for people who have been with Verizon for a while. So I'm not sure of the specific conditions now.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Not sure if AT&T does this, but with Verizon, while you do sign a 2 year contract, you are able to upgrade within 6 months of your contract expiring. So really you are only locked in for 18 months. I don't see the need to continuously update your device unless you just have to have the best thing that's out. Which is fine, just would rather save that money to spend on something else.

My personal preference. To each their own of course!

Um, no. They have changes it to 24 months. I have 4 if my lines that they added 4 months to the upgrade date. Sucks, don't it?

----------

Maybe I'm not clear on the conditions, but I am currently eligible for an upgrade and did a week trial of the Samsung just to try it out before deciding on waiting for the 5S. And when I did the trial, it was basically like getting a new phone. I had to pay for it and renew my contract. So my new upgrade date became 18 months from when I started the trial, but it was still a 2 year contract. The upgrade date reverted back when I ended the trial and decided not to stick with the Samsung. Got my refund, the whole 9 yards.

Might be because I've been a Verizon customer for years. But if the conditions did change, oh well!

Take a look at your line on the website, they probably already added the 4 months.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
You wouldn't pay $10 while you are using your own phone. Since you have no EIP, you just upgrade to a new phone at any time. While you are paying that EIP, then you would have to pay the $10 fee per month if you want to upgrade again in 6 months.

Yeah, I get it. Was just wondering about this.

I think in principle this is a good idea. Say you would want to stay with Tmobile forever (i.e. more than two years):

Without Jump, if you want a new phone after two years, you have to make a new down payment and continue to pay $20 a month.

With Jump, you will keep paying $30 a month, but you get to upgrade your phone every six month roughly. For those who care about having the latest tech, this might be a good thing. The main issue I see is when phones have different down payments, e.g. if you want an iPhone with more storage: Do you have to cover the difference in down payment in addition to the $10/month? Are there different classes of phones?

Honestly at this point I still prefer the "bring your own phone" option. I can decide if I want a cheaper or a more expensive phone, I can decide when I want to upgrade, or save some money and stick with my older model for longer.

Paragonal17

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
SC
Um, no. They have changes it to 24 months. I have 4 if my lines that they added 4 months to the upgrade date. Sucks, don't it?

----------

Take a look at your line on the website, they probably already added the 4 months.

My 2 year contract is up January 7, 2014. I am eligible for an upgrade as of July 7th, 2013. 18 months.
There must be parts of the conditions that grandfathered certain Verizon customers in. Maybe later on I'll be stuck with 24 months. But even when I did a new contract on July 7th for the trial, the new upgrade date became 18 months from this date.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I guess this article's as good as any to say...

Remember when you had to pay for landline by the minute?
Remember when you had to pay for Internet by the minute?
Remember when you had to pay for mobile calls by the minute?
Remember when you had to pay for texting by the message?

I can't wait til I can remember when I had to pay for data by the GB.

It's so ridiculous. Imagine if you filled your gas tank at the beginning of each month, and at the end of each month, if you had any left over, it would just vaporize? Cell and cable providers seem to be the only services that can get away with that dumb, DUMB paradigm.

/rant

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
This doesn't seem to make sense from a Tmo business standpoint... But if this is true, this would be an amazing deal.

"With Jump, customers will pay the same subsidized amount that a new customer pays, without the need to wait to qualify for an upgrade. Jump requires T-Mobile customers to pay a $10 monthly fee for the service and trade-in old devices"

quoted from OP. so it has to work like the scenario i said above.

other wise, no one is going to pay (for example) the down payment ($200-ihpone) + phone monthly plan (20$*6=$120) + JUMP program (10$*6=60) + the current phone. to get a new phone.

that logic is ridiculous, that's screwing the consumers even more! they might as well say you can rent a phone @ 65$/month for 6 months.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
T-Mobile's new policies on contracts and phones sound good, but they are fumbling the execution. For example...

The spoken words on the ad don't match the copy in the video.

Spoken: "The freedom to upgrade when you want, not when you're told."

vs.

Small print: "Upgrade up to twice a year, after 6 months. Addl. deductable may apply. Trade-in of eligible phone req'd..."

So if you want to upgrade after 4 months, well you are out of luck because T-Mobile is telling you to wait for 6.

Also, since trading in your current phone is required to upgrade, I wonder if the guy in the ad is even eligible since his phone is broken.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Also, since trading in your current phone is required to upgrade, I wonder if the guy in the ad is even eligible since his phone is broken.

I believe the $10/mo also covers malfunctioning, lost/stolen, or damaged phones. A deductible being required for lost or damaged phones.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
The DoJ and Judge Cote should immediately go after T-Mobile for trying to break up AT&T and Verizon's monopolies.

How dare they come up with another model.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
T-Mobile needs to concern themselves with jumping into coverage. There are huge holes in their mostly EDGE network that need to be filled instead of running more misleading ads.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Sounds to me like it is how I though... Installment payment + $10/month + downpayment.

From http://www.zdnet.com/t-mobile-announces-new-jump-twice-yearly-upgrade-program-7000017906/:

"I used to changes my smartphone every couple of months, but over the past couple of years they have gotten better and better so I now can be seen with a phone for 6 to 10 months. I rarely use the phone subsidy on carriers though and typically pay full price for my gear.

The new JUMP! option for T-Mobile is a $10/month program (just a few dollars more than you pay for their current carrier handset protection) that lets you bring in your current phone and trade it in for a new one financed with their zero interest Equipment Installation Program (EIP). Any remaining EIP payments from your previous phone will be eliminated by the trade-in. You get to purchase the new phone for the same low upfront cost that new subscribers are offered, all still with no annual service contract.

I haven't ran all the numbers to see how the bottom line shakes out, but at first glance it seems like a good program to keep existing customers coming back to T-Mobile."

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
T-Mobile needs to concern themselves with jumping into coverage. There are huge holes in their mostly EDGE network that need to be filled instead of running more misleading ads.

Bingo. Too many people are getting caught up in all their marketing crap. They should spend all that marketing money on getting rid of all that EDGE

richnyc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
NYC
T-Mobile will become very successful.

A year ago, I would be stuck on EDGE on my iphone. They rapidly rolled out their new towers. Now, almost everywhere I go I have 4G or LTE.
I don't even need LTE because T-mobiles 4G is always blazing fast on my iphone. EVERY TIME I use a friends phone on Verizon and says 3G or 4G, it is so slow that its pathetic.

Oh, and I don't pay near as much as the suckers stuck with AT&T and Verizon..

Depends where you are;)

I switched to T-mobile a month ago and the service sux, big time:( And I'm in the Tristate area, mostly Manhattan but have friends in New Jersey, right across the Hudson river, not that far... My phone (iPhone 4) jumps between E and 3G all the time. EDGE service on a smartphone is really a patience testing' experience... I cannot get a clear 3G at work or at home where AT&T's 3G was always up... Gonna try RedPocket before going back to the AT&T...

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm definitely more enthralled about this no credit check family plan. Our AT&T bill's around $220/month, and I know my father and maybe even my mother may not be going over 500MB. I'm the only one that may be intrigued by this JUMP service, as my pops is on a 3GS and mom and sister have 4's and love them. Would be absolutely amazing if they could keep their phones and switch vs. get new ones, though. I know T-Mo will waive those initial fees by trading in or we can sell them, but that extra $20 or so a month for those phones with creep the bill back on up. In any event, having options is nice. Just need to know their coverage in the Inland Empire onto Los Angeles and the Beach Cities in Southern California.

A7ibaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
hahaha.And this is a good deal?! wtf? It seems that tmobile has lost touch with reality and ceos smoke weed

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
What a gimmick. This and uncarrier.

TMobile needs to spend the marketing money they're wasting on this crap to improve their network.

EDIT: they're also claiming 116 markets with LTE, which is a huge lie. They're double-counting adjacent cities. Example is Boston-Cambridge. It is complete crap for them to be counting them separately. And the rollout isn't even remotely done yet.

So you still haven't learned your lesson with a time-out on MacRumors?

You just LOVE trolling on T-Mobile.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
There's a difference between trolling and calling them out on their BS.

If you really hate T-Mobile, switch to a different carrier. Stop caring about them. Us T-Mobile customers will keep enjoying the savings and the fast LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.