T-Mobile Announces 'Jump' Phone Upgrade Program

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2013.

1. kensic macrumors 6502

oh my god.....that's another way of saying "Renting" an iphone. who ever buys into this is an idiot when the program goes live.

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I can't believe att also moved the upgrade to 24 months, it seems like plans are only getting worse and worse rather than better, it is a complete joke.

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

:rolleyes: Looks like I hurt someone's feelings.

anyways...

savings aren't worthy when you have mediocre service. IMO, of course ;)

4. bronzeye007 macrumors newbie

Do T-Mobile customers required to have insurance when on Jump program?

5. parseckadet, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

parseckadet macrumors 65816

parseckadet

You're wrong on this front. Take a look at http://explore.t-mobile.com/phone-upgrade under the section titled "Get started with JUMP!" It says the following:
    In other words, you only qualify to enroll in JUMP if you're already using the installment program, which is the $20/month payment. So yes, JUMP really is $20 + $10 = $30/month.

The only time I think this really makes sense is when we're six months away from the next iPhone update and someone is considering switching to T-Mobile. Obviously, T-Mobile wants them to switch now instead of sitting on the fence for 6 months. This is something someone might consider in that situation. They can switch to T-Mobile right away, get the current iPhone, then upgrade to the new one when it comes out in 6 months. In that scenario I actually could see someone coming out ahead.

Yeah, I noticed they did the same thing with Denver and Boulder. But don't act as though the other carriers don't play the same game. I distinctly remember AT&T claiming Dallas and Fort Worth as two separate markets when they first launched LTE. They still do the same thing with Denver and Boulder as well. And San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland.

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Looks like they count it as one market now

[​IMG]

(off their site)

but yes, you are correct. they all need to cut it out and stop double counting.

7. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Oh yeah, I forgot, T-Mobile has "mediocre" coverage in all of the USA. :rolleyes:

8. holmstockd macrumors newbie

Correct - i was with them for 6 years and i lived in the sticks of VA, and when i would comute to DC i stayed with them on the promise of the 1900 3g conversion, and on my 4s one block in NW DC was 3g, then down to edge on K street...

Then one week later they said rollover was complete in DC and thought that was a sick cruel joke.

I finally just had to switch to AT&T - as much as i HATE Them i wanted another GSM network for the freedom to switch out to another phone without calling verizon/sprint....

So i broke my contract with them - 5 LINES!!! - 1000 Termination, i tried calling tmo to let them know i was tired of edge and no service in areas where everyone else had service, they said no and so i told them i had 2 lines for upgrade and now they going to make me UPGrade just to sell the phones and leave them, they did not care, so thats what i did - I got 2 samsung gs3's sold them for 520 each and then sold my unlocked 4s for 350 and my daughters htc for 270 - I also wrote to t-mo billing dept who agreed with me to reduce the cancellation fee to $500 instead of $1000 - so i at least thank T-Mo for actually paying me to leave after i sold everything and then made money switching to at&t.

I now pay only 30 more then i was paying with t-mo for 5 lines and 2 lines of those with no data - and now i got better service even LTE just opened in my small VA town.

I wish t-mo would upgrade that crappy edge network and really compete in the major cities suburbs!

9. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

What an insanely nice plan feature this is. It's too bad T mobile has no reception at home, work or on my commute, otherwise I'd switch to them in a second, gah a new phone every 6 months.

10. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502a

Knockoutjosie

They did mention LTE in the riverside area. Does this mean they updated thier towers for around here with those who have an iphone 4 unlocked? So i can stop getting edge and 3G service now?

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

They dropped that like two months effective all new contracts and possibly back dated as well. Now it's 24 months flat. No exceptions

12. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Try the new ip5?

I am taking a stab here and wondering if you have tried the new TMo Ip5 that is optimized for the refarmed network. The difference of coverage btwn the 4 and 5 is huge - atleast for me.

13. jdawgnoonan macrumors 6502

jdawgnoonan

Why do poeople not like this?

What is there not to like about this? You do not pay on two phones, you trade your phone in and pay for the new phone.

Sorry, but this sounds amazing and much simpler than selling my own phone.

14. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I'm sure if you crunched the numbers, selling your phone on CL and getting another one might be better because they rip you off big time (every carrier) when you try to trade in.

When I got my GS4, Best Buy said my Note 2 was worth $180 on trade-in. I sold it the next day on CL for $500...

15. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

Except it costs you an extra $10/month PLUS the downpayment every time you upgrade.

It's literally the same thing as leasing a car it seems. Which makes sense for some, but not all, people.

16. 617aircav Suspended

It's more than $60 if you factor in the loss you will incur trading in the phone.

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Unless someone sat on it. :rolleyes:

18. aneftp macrumors 601

Because most Americans are dumb with basic math.

They look at the lowest monthly payment without actually analyzing the total cost of ownership.

As I calculated it. You will be out $150 plus $60 plus $20x 6 months. That's $330 already before u even want to "upgrade" again. Which requires another $150 downpayment plus $20/month to pay off new phone.

I tell u this. U can buy new iPhone 5S for $650 and 6 months later won't lose $330.

19. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Two upgrades per year? Are you all THAT desperate to have a new phone?

Two phone upgrades per year? I almost feel sorry for people who feel the need to change their phone that frequently, but then I realize a wise man once said that a fool and his money are soon parted. Another said that a sucker is born every minute. Both were right.

20. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Not anymore.
    http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/1...pgrade-cycles-changing-to-24-months-and-more/

21. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I tried a T mo ip5 in the tri state area for a couple of weeks, it sucked. In NYC it was great, but that's a given with any cell phone company, except inside buildings it could be flaky. In NJ it was spotty but it wasn't terrible at all, except for once again, inside buildings. Inside my hospital where I got 5 bars LTE ATT, I got 0-1 bars of Tmobile, completely unusable. I also tried the same with an ATT Note 2 which I flashed to have the Tmobile bands.

----------

Why denigrate someone else's choices? You upgrade your phone every 24 months? You must be a fool instead of keeping your phone for 5 years. Maybe some of us are smarter and save enough money to afford a new phone when we want one, I know I save enough to buy one every year unsubsidized simply by being on prepaid instead of post paid. It's tough to fathom, but some are smart enough to have their cake and eat it too.

22. Doc69 macrumors 6502

To me, it actually looks like a pretty good deal, if I have understood everything correctly. Assume you want a new iPhone each year. You pay $146 up front, and then $10 per month. So that's $266 per year, which includes insurance. That's $22 per month indefinitely to always have the latest iPhone model.

If you instead buy the iPhone outright for $649, you may be able to sell it for $200 less or so a year later. That's about $16 per month or so. But you may loose more that $200 if the phone is not in good condition. And you're also not covered by any insurance. So the "Jump" deal sounds like a pretty fair deal to me.

23. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

once LTE is in my area, i may seriously give them a shot

24. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Any contract expiring after January 2014 gets locked into a full 24 month cycle, not 18 anymore. So while you still may have it, anybody else who's contract expires in 2014 needs to wait. For instance one of the lines on my plan was upgraded March 2012. It originally said the upgrade at discounted pricing would be available in November 2013, now Verizon says March 2014 and says something along the lines of "Your upgrade date is now aligned with the end of your contract".

This looks like a good deal from T-Mobile. Verizon better come up with something like this (or at least no contracts) or else I would heavily consider switching. Problem is T-Mobile has no LTE in this area. They don't really even have a reliable 3G network.