Carrier T-Mobile gained 4.4 million net customers in 2013

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EbookReader, Dec 18, 2013.

1. EbookReader, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

EbookReader macrumors 65816

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...ould-face-uphill-battle-regulators/2013-12-17

1Q of 2013: 0.65 million net customers
    2Q of 2013: 1.1 million net customers
    3Q of 2013: 1 million net customers
    4Q of 2013: 1.65 million net customers

It's strategy is very simple.

1) Buy your phone or bring your own phone or finance your phone at 0% interest.

2) Wireless service is a no contract, cancel anytime. The rate is as followed

1st line: $50
    2nd line: $30
    3rd line: $10
    4th line: $10
    5th line: $10

Each line will have unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of LTE and unlimited 2G

+ $10 to any line to upgrade to 2.5GB of LTE data
    + $20 to any line to upgrade to unlimited LTE data

Edit: to add in the new info (1.65 million additional customers in 4Q)

[​IMG]

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

The gain in subs is impressive, but they can't sustain it. Too bad they don't have the network to back up their bold claims.

They are lucky in that enough people are getting pissed off at Sprint's NV, so they're jumping ship to TMobile. After all, ANYTHING is better than Sprint. Even TMobile's predominate EDGE/GPRS network.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

I think their Q4 results will prove to be the most interesting of all. Tablets were the only thing keeping AT&T from showing net subscriber loss the past couple quarters and the 200MB free data offering in addition to now carrying the iPad seemed like a direct assault on those tablet subscriber gains. When the numbers come in we will get to see whether or not it worked.

4. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Nice they will continue with their superior network and giving great coverage to 220+ million. It's hard to beat 40mbs unlimited data

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Good job!

I have been with T-Mobile since February.

Last Sunday I thought I would buy a Verizon iPad to see if I could finally get service at my house here in the middle of Denver Colorado. It had been two years since I last tried. Nope, no data at my house yet here in 2013, just shows 3G and edge speeds.

With AT&T, it's the same exact situation. I don't know how in 2013 neither one of the big carriers can get me data here. I'm not in the sticks here, there are houses for miles and mile in every direction surrounding me.

Only T-Mobile gets me reliable 4G and LTE here. I'm with them forever. My 5S and iPad are on T-Mobile.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

<Insert knee-jerk Sprint Apologist comment here>
    LOL!

Too true! Your comment I mean! :D

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Be careful! The S4GRU crew is looking for you!

:)

I do, however, believe that Sprint is in the position (rural sites with fiber especially) to blow past TMobile, but execution has always been an issue for them. Is they do, indeed, merge...god help all their customers. Nextel 2.0.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OH NO! Quick, I'm going to pull out my s4gru.com GinaDee shield! Let's see how long it (she) lasts before they ban her!

Execution, you said it. Not Sprint's strong suit.

As far as the merger…well setting that aside for the moment, I just wonder if Sprint isn't Softbank's Nextel?

9. rockitdog, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

rockitdog macrumors 68020

LOL, do you work for AT&T or Verizon? You're constantly bash T-Mobile. T-Mobile made a strategic move and focus their network in areas where the most people are. I have great coverage in the Minneapolis market. For most people, T-Mobile works great. Sure people who live in rural areas can't get it but that's a small majority compared to the rest of the 250 million people who are covered by them.

People are going to continue to get sick of paying AT&T and Verizon's prices and are going to continue to flow towards T-Mobile because of the things like no annual contract and being able to switch devices twice a year w/ T-Mo & JUMP. AT&T's NEXT program & Verizon Edge are desperate and pathetically executed versions of JUMP! that pale in comparison. T-Mobile has made tremendous strides in less than a year. They are only going to get better.

10. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

Are you sure you're not a T-Mobile employee? LOL. :)

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

I've had all 4 major carriers and usually two at the same time.
    I've been aerial communications----voice stream-tmobile USA customer from. 1996-2011.
    Been sprint 1997-2004. Been Cingular ATT 2004-current. And Verizon 2010-current.

So I will chime in with tmobile. For me (lived in Kansas City, New York, Wash DC and Orlando during those times with tmobile). Service was fine. Finally glad to get 3G with original G1 back in 2008 with Tmobile.

But coverage was good in those major metro areas. But once you start traveling. You are going to often times completely lose coverage (southwest Virginia) panhandle area Florida just off top of my head.

If u stick to big cities and are on one or two lines than tmobile is solid choice.

Going 4-5 lines with subsidized phones and discounts from att and verizon makes the math/coverage equation trickier.

I pay like $210/month with 4 lines 4 unlimited data plans 700 min with rollover plus any mobile plus 10 landlines (essentially unlimited to 99% of the USA generally population) with att (including taxes and discount) and phone subsidy. It would be $180 (excluding taxes and discounts) with tmobile without any phone subsidy.

That's why T-mobile will have a hard time taking family line members from att and verizon. 60% of them are on family lines.

I believe the gains from tmobile are from the single line post paid att and verizon customer. But very hard to convert the other 60% who are on family lines.

12. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

T-Mobile is gaining momentum, and LOTS of it.

It's honestly incredible how a company can go from almost being bankrupt, having limited amount of spectrum and no LTE in 2011, to having lots of cash, lots of spectrum (and growing from recent/future spectrum deals) and now finally nationwide LTE (that's major city to major city from coast to coast for you, Auto-Union). Now AT&T is having a net-loss of subscribers and most of them are coming to T-Mobile. Since T-Mobile is expanding, they will surely expand coverage too. And that is all from one CEO, John Legere. Wow, this man can change things around pretty quickly.

Also guys, don't listen to Auto-Union, as he does not imply what is happening to T-Mobile itself and the mobile industry.

AT&T is a large scumbag who, albeit, has a large and impressive network, charges ridiculous prices and spits out bullcrap from their marketing team.

(This is a rant for Auto-Union to get off of these types of threads.)

13. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

T-Mo is the comeback, and it's awesome to see. The duopoly of Verizon and AT&T is starting to come to an end.

14. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Haha, I can see how you would think that. I am not, gosh I hate working in retail! I'd be happy to work for them corporately though ;)

15. keitarou macrumors 6502

Definitely agree when it comes to 4-5 family plan, getting a subsidy is the smarter choice. Over 2 years, the cost will be negligible and with better nationwide coverage, it's a no brainer. When it comes to 2-3 people, that's where it becomes more of a choice. However, I still like the no contract no subsidy model. Why can't I use my phone with companies I want. That's just better in my opinion.

But your case it different. If you have grandfathered unlimited data for all of the lines, it's best to stick with AT&T. Verizon, I wouldn't because you have to pay full price of the phone to keep that data plan. But Share everything plans are not better even with subsidy compared to T-Mobile.

16. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

17. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I wonder how they'll be able to keep customers from abusing this system.

Since there is no contract, one could basically port out to TMobile, get their ETF paid, keep the crappy service for a month, and then port right back to AT&T/VZW using the same phone and not have a contract.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

It's a combination of factors. For years DT was just trying to sell the company to AT&T, who primarily wanted the spectrum, so they didn't invest as much in infrastructure and fell behind. When that deal was blocked, DT had two choices: 1) walk away, sell the rest for scrap, and take a huge write-off, or 2) turn T-Mobile into a viable business again by investing in it and taking marketing seriously. They elected the latter. Note that they still are working toward an exit strategy, potentially a sale to Softbank, though Dish has expressed interest, as well.

I'm liking the developments in the industry since T-Mobile has become revitalized. However, they've played most of their cards now and I think 2014 will be the real test of the strategy. Will they see sustained growth, and will they attract a new suitor? The FCC might throw up some roadblocks to a deal with Softbank, as they may not want only 3 super carriers (which is the situation in Canada), and they also have the issue of how to integrate their own legacy CDMA infrastructure with T-Mobile's GSM, but a Dish deal shouldn't create the same issues. That said, Sprint might be willing to divest certain T-Mobile markets in order to keep the FCC happy, and what they need from T-Mobile is LTE more than anything else.

19. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

My ATT building penetration is flaky enough where I live, I doubt T Mobile would be much better. Otherwise I would switch. For a family with good coverage this is a no brainer.

20. JackieInCo, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

JackieInCo macrumors 601

That actually means nothing. I get NO AT&T or Verizon coverage at my location and yet, I get up to 46Mbps on T-Mobile. They are the only ones who can even get me LTE here.

On AT&T and Verizon, I get edge speeds and I am in the middle of the biggest city in Colorado

By the way, the T-Mobile test I posted earlier is in my house, in my basement.

21. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Congratulations for them, I had them for a few moths here in Las Vegas and THEY ABSOLUTELY SUCK. No signal in any neighborhood only in Downtown area, Shopping Centers, or big streets would my phone work. Any way I dropped them for a better plan I have on AT&T ;) 25GB on AT&T 3G, VOIP texting & unlimited incoming calls and 500 minutes outgoing on regular phone for $30 a month.

22. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

I'm ready to see the Q4 numbers from all the carriers. This will be the quarter that shows the full effect of the launches of the 5S, 5C, iPad Air, and rMini and their effect on subscriber numbers. If T-Mobile gains another million for the 3rd consecutive quarter then I will have to admit that they are for real.

23. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

You have no idea what you're talking about. I switched from AT&T. I get mostly LTE/4G HSPA+ and rarely EDGE/GPRS. The whole Tmobile excels at EDGE is a wide misconception based on Tmobile's network from 5 years ago. Check the rootmetrics scores, Tmobile beats AT&T in half of the markets surveyed.

Running speed tests i've always gotten higher HSPA+ speeds on Tmo vs ATT. "4G" is for sho, their "4G" is usually just 3G speeds. Nevermind i live in a city where Tmo has 10x10 LTE while ATT doesn't even have any LTE.

24. AutoUnion39, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Denial must be rampant in the arsenal of most TMobile apologists. That is a ridiculous statement to make.

Do you live under a rock?

I95 is top 2 in being one of the most busy highways in the US. Its almost all EDGE/GPRS with sprinkles of HSPA on TMobile.

I can drive from Maine to DC and never loose LTE with AT&T and VZW. TMobile? one could only dream about working data on that trip.

I have. TMobile has never beat the big two when it comes to overall scores and network reliability. Let's see some proof?

Pretty pathetic when you realize that RootMetrics and TMobile are partnered up and they STILL don't rate their network highly.

EDIT: here's some proof off RM.com

The consolidated '13 results aren't out yet.

As of Jul. 22, 2013
    http://www.rootmetrics.com/blog/tre...125-markets-and-hundreds-of-rootscore-awards/
    [​IMG]
    It has won zero combined or data awards in ANY of the markets tested.

Test scores post July:

August
    Modesto, CA: winner draw (AT&T/VZW)
    Bakersfield, CA draw (AT&T/VZW)
    Providence, RI draw (AT&T/VZW)
    Augusta, GA draw (AT&T/VZW)
    Temecula, CA winner VZW (AT&T 2nd)

September
    Tampa winner draw (AT&T/VZW)
    Tulsa, OK: winner draw (AT&T/VZW)
    ATL: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Austin, TX: winner AT&T, VZW 2nd
    Salt Lake City: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Charlotte, NC: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Lansing, MI: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Scranton, PA: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Jackson, MS: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    San Antonio: winner draw (AT&T/VZW)

October:
    Chicago: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Baltimore: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    DC: winner VZW (AT&T 2nd), TMo 3rd for overall reliability
    St Louis: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Honolulu: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Phily: winner draw (AT&T/VZW)
    PHX: winner draw (AT&T/VZW)
    Miami: winner draw (AT&T/VZW)
    Santa Rosa, CA: winner VZW (AT&T 2nd)

November:
    Nashville: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Raleigh, NC: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Shreveport, LA: winner VZW (AT&T 2nd)
    Hudson Valley, NY: winner VZW (AT&T 2nd)
    Mission Viejo, CA: winner draw (AT&T/VZW)
    Sacramento, CA: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Concord, CA: winner draw (AT&T/VZW)
    Birmingham, AL: winner AT&T (VZW 2nd)
    Wichita, KS: winner VZW (AT&T 2nd)
    Orlando: winner draw (AT&T/VZW)
    NYC/Tri-State: winner VZW (AT&T 2nd)

So, since August 2013 (~35 tests)

Winners:
    AT&T: 15/35 = 43%
    Draw (AT&T/VZW): 13/35: 37%
    VZW: 7/35 = 20%

So what proof do you have to back up your BS statement that T-Mobile beats AT&T in half of the markets surveyed?

In 2013, T-Mobile has never ranked above AT&T or VZW in ANY market. Sprint and T-Mobile exchange 3rd/4th depending on the market. AT&T and VZW have consistently beaten them in overall rootscores and network reliability across the United States.

EDIT 2: Rootmetrics also compared data speeds at the top 50 airports in the US.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/blog/wha...score-awards-at-the-50-busiest-u.s.-airports/

[​IMG]
    T-Mobile won one airport. Where's that 50% number you are quoting?

25. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

T-Mobile gained 2.1 million additional customers in 6 months after uncarrier ...

Not sure what u mean by this. If u port your number to another phone, it'd be locked to tmobile until you pay it off. And most etf credits take 1-2 billing cycles to get on your account. And I believe if a tmobile phone is paid off it still takes like 40 days to get an unlock. On top if that if u get a tmobile phone it won't work on verizon since they won't let u activate a non verizon phone on their network