T-Mobile to Simplify Phone Bills With Single Unlimited Data Plan and No Additional Fees

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Yes it should! I pay for water by the gallon. I pay for electricity by the kilowatt hour. I pay for gas by the gallon. Why should internet, which is like any other utility, be any different? Why not pay per unit used?

Paying per unit incentivizes users and service providers to be efficient. I will try to connect to WiFi whenever possible, and apps like Spotify can compete on data usage (i.e., imagine Spotify advertising same sound quality as Apple Music but uses 25% less data)

Paying for "unlimited" incentivizes waste from both customers and service providers. Why bother compressing the images - customer won't care.
because people don't want to think or care about how much they are using. i pay rent monthly and it doesn't matter how many times i used the bathroom. same idea.

Reactions: TechGeek76

JohnApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2014
Ehh sounds a bit more tempting with the Kickback thing, but for ~$20 more, I don't think Unlimited data is worth losing my LTE hotspot. And right now I get the choice to stream HD at least.

Plus, I noticed that the Kickback promotion says UP TO $10 back. Does this mean that you have to use 0.0GB to get the full $10 back? Will using 1.9GB only net you 50cents back? They don't specify.

dmylrea

macrumors 68030
Sep 27, 2005
This is why I don't currently use T-Mobile. It sounds great, but where I live in the Bay Area and in San Diego, the coverage can't compete with Verizon and AT&T. I tested for about a month with one T-Mobile phone and one AT&T phone -- just wasn't worth it.
I also have AT&T and TMobile phones in San Diego, and most places (in and around town, not in the mountain and rural areas) where AT&T sucks, TMobile rocks. They have definitely improved. And LTE speeds are off the charts when I do speed tests.

Reactions: ray737

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Sweet, I've had the unlimited plan for some time and haven't been using data as much since I moved, so the $10 credit will be great.

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. I love it. No real change in call quality or reception, with 1 exception, and that's interstate freeway travel. T-Mobile service drops off on long stretches of highway out in the middle of nowhere, which Verizon managed to maintain at least calling services throughout all of my travels (and data throughout most). I'll take that trade-off for the host of additional benefits and the nearly 40% in savings in my monthly bill. I've completely jumped on board. Love it.
That's awesome.

I'm completely the other way. I'll take rural (and better in general) coverage and reliability over those perks & cheaper unlimited data even if it's slower. I have my daughter on T-Mobile because all she does is stream music and video and she can afford to not have as reliable coverage because she's still with adults everywhere.
I'm frequently tempted to jump over but then I go to those places where she tells me she's lost service and I'm really glad my Verizon is working.
It all depends on your needs. T-Mobile is definitely a good, getting better, and a great value for the freedom to do whatever you want. I like what they're doing and we'll see. Maybe someday.

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Seems like the 'cons' outweigh the 'pros'.

I do agree with 'you shouldn't have to pay what you don't use."

but 480p video streaming or tethering at 3G speeds? Should like important points to consider.
Maybe not that bad since its all u can eat.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Anyone in the DC Metro area use T-Mobile? I previously used them about 2 years ago and it was pretty crappy. Anyone currently using it that can tell me if coverage good?

Silver78

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
A true unlimited super 4g coverage phone plan (unlimited on phone but only 60gb. Pr. Month tethering) is 17$ here.
3g? Yikes ....or how ever that is spelled.....so last decade.

I consider those T mobile offers stealing from the american people... If you are a douchbag ....invest in T mobile and steal from your neighbor fair and square.

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I'm still going to keep my 4 lines/10GB data each plus 20GB data bucket each line for $120 and that includes HD video and tethering. I don't need 4 lines but I will never give it up when T-Mobiles unlimited is still limited.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Ha. There's actually two single line plans.
All this talk about T-Mobile One and it being the only plan and they actually will continue to offer a $50/mo plan that is up to 2 GB of data. Note: That means if you take T-Mobile One and get that $10/mo credit for using less than 2 GB of data, you're still paying more than the other plan.

This is all still more than I'm paying with my current T-Mobile plan, but I don't really have any high speed data to speak of. But then I don't need any. I have:
  • Wi-fi at home.
  • Wi-fi at work.
  • Wi-fi in almost every store I go to on a regular basis.
  • Wi-fi in the bar I frequent.
  • Wi-fi at coffee shops and libraries.
Seriously, the only time I wont have a wi-fi network available, is when I'm driving. And guess what I'm not doing while driving -- playing on my damn smartphone!

I have unlimited low-speed data, which is pretty much all I need for things like emails and some other small client/server programs.

Last edited:

nt5672

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
Because water, electricity and gas are finite resources?
Epic fail, there is nothing finite about water, it just get recirculated and reused. Now this can be expensive if you live in a desert, but if expense is a problem then you shouldn't live in a desert. Too much indoctrination going on.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I'll stick with my current plan of $100 for two lines, unlimited LTE, and 7GB LTE Tethering.

I already got the 28GB throttle message, but so far still getting LTE speeds.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
OMG EVERYBODY it is TOTALLY UNLIMITED
(see site for details...)

Everything is capped, there is a 25gb + throttler, and it's actually just 3g for the 'content' that requires unlimited data.

What a nonsense, .. rule #1 .. it's the same, just doesn't mean unlimited, it means 'eeeeh lets gets away with it'

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

v3nt

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
I wonder if it will include all the useless advertising bytes we download or not?

laz232

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
DDoS attack on what, the ISP? Not sure what that analogy is supposed to mean. I still don't buy that the finiteness of water is analogous to the finiteness of the internet.

Not really, I think it would be very easily shown that the average data usage of today is dramatically higher than the average data usage of 20 years ago. The increase in technology has allowed us to consume more data, and stated in that article "The cost of increasing [broadband] capacity has declined much faster than the increase in data traffic," says Dane Jasper, CEO of Sonic, an independent ISP based in Santa Rosa, Calif." I don't know that this increase in usage is the case for water (it could be, at which point I'll reconsider).

Once again, I don't believe this is an accurate representation of how the internet works. In general, Netflix is going to have their own infrastructure and servers placed at your ISP, and your ISP is going to serve from those servers directly to you.

Furthermore, Google and other internet companies themselves have been known to purchase the backbone links of the internet, for instance:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/internet/google-new-brazil-us-internet-cable
http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/google-facebook-fiber-optic-cable-pacific-ocean-120tbps/
https://www.wired.com/2016/06/google-turns-giant-internet-cable/

My sense of this is that Google and other companies lay fiber, reserve portions of it for their own traffic, place servers at local ISPs that are fed from these networks, and the local ISPs provide you the last link between your home. Please explain to me why the 300 gigs of Netflix I stream is on a per byte cost to the ISP (and a fixed monthly fee to Netflix)
[doublepost=1483661426][/doublepost]
While what you say is technically accurate, it is also misleading. Speeds will continue to increase for the foreseeable future, with complex use of multiple networks, for instance high frequency networks for small areas (e.g., 5G has been tested at 15GHz, 58GHZ, local wifi networks are usable at 60GHZ) that will quickly switch you around. These are technical hurdles being solved
I do R&D at those frequencies. Having good coverage at >10GHz requires a huge investment in base stations. So yeah, frequency reuse (and hence available bandwidth) at E band is great but the infrastructure costs are huge... and currently not low power.

To fund such development requires money (== resources). So no, data rate is not "free" despite what people want to believe - technology has a cost!

jlc1978

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2009
Plug in a USB stick to your computer. How many times can you copy and read from the drive?

There you go; data transfer. Infinite (well, as long as the computer is on).
Write to the drive a million times.See how well it works without losing data. Hint: Not infinite as they have a limited number of read write cycles.

Plug 1000 hubs into your USB port and put sticks in all of them. See how well you can transfer data. That's the real issue with capacity.

jhgale1895

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Anyone in the DC Metro area use T-Mobile? I previously used them about 2 years ago and it was pretty crappy. Anyone currently using it that can tell me if coverage good?
I live in DC near the Van Ness Metro stop. I switched three months ago from AT&T after finally giving up the original iPhone unlimited data plan.

In my experience, T-Mobile's coverage in DC is almost as good as AT&T's. I get no signal inside a couple restaurants that AT&T does reach. On balance, though, I've been very happy.

It still is true, though, that rural areas are a challenge. I spent a couple hours on a highway in Wisconsin with no signal (occasionally roaming on some small carrier's 2G network). My family members with Verizon had LTE throughout.