Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
You just restated what I said.

You walk before it's paid off, you pay a balloon payment you wouldn't have to pay if you would have just kept paying the monthly.

Whether it's the ETF or the reminder of the phone, same concept different names.

And yeah I already said it's cheaper in the long run

Yes.. why do you think ATT wants everyone to join the NEXT program. This saves ATT money and costs everyone more in the long run. Well maybe unless you buy an LG phone with a terrible resale value.

ATT... was like... holy crap... T-Mo is stealing our customers and making more profits than we did... Quick... lets get in on that action.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
You just restated what I said.

You walk before it's paid off, you pay a balloon payment you wouldn't have to pay if you would have just kept paying the monthly.

Whether it's the ETF or the reminder of the phone, same concept different names.

And yeah I already said it's cheaper in the long run

Yes... but it's NOT a contract... you're only PERCEIVING it as a contract. It's a Payment plan, albeit YOU might not think so it's still a difference.

So again I state... it's only your PERCEPTION that it's a "contract".
While with At&t... it physically IS a binding contract.

The difference is... if I brought an unlocked phone to T-mobile I'd be paying $50 for my phone and I can cancel any time. I'm not even sure if I can walk into At&t with a unlocked phone and get contract free month to month and THAT is the main difference between "contract" and payment plan.

Last edited:

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Do you mind posting more detail to this? If this is true, T-Mobile will go down. It's not illegal to sell "MY" phone. There is not such thing as "Their device" when I paid full price for it.

Oh but according to T-Mobile it is illegal. Section 18 in their Terms and Conditions, even though it doesn't explicitly state this, it says it's illegal to re-sell their devices for "profit" who in their right minds would buy a used device from me for more than they could buy it new from T-Mobile for.

I bought and paid off several devices on their EIP plan and their legal department contacted me and stated that "at least 5 devices are now active on other users accounts" and I said yes, thats call capitalism. They also accused me of buying 5 devices and never haved used them on my account but rather have re-sold them right away! That is 100% wrong and false!

----------

That seems odd. How do they even know whether or not you've sold your phones? I know several people who have sold their phones prior to them being fully paid off and nothing happened. Who did you call that told you that was their reason for canceling your account? As long as you're making payments on the phones and have service with them, there shouldn't be any problem with you selling your phone. I had an HTC One S that I was financing through them and sold it after having it for only six months and everything went along as normal.

I was contacted by their legal department and informed of this. What I typically was buy a phone, use it for a given amount of time and then would post it for sale on CL. I'd then take the money pay off the EIP and then open a new EIP which i thought was totally ok. My account was never past due or in any other kind of trouble. I only ever had one open EIP at a time. This is such BS!

I can't be the first person this has ever happened to!

----------

I would call someone. It is most likely illegal to sell the device while you are still paying it off, but once it is paid for, it is your phone.

For example, I paid for a 5s upfront and when the 6 comes I out I can and will sell the 5s to pay for a 6.

Be careful, their legal department would say otherwise!

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Yes... but it's NOT a contract... you're only PERCEIVING it as a contract. It's a Payment plan, albeit YOU might not think so it's still a difference.

The difference is... if I brought an unlocked phone to T-mobile I'd be paying $50 for my phone and I can cancel any time. I'm not even sure if I can walk into At&t with a unlocked phone and get contract free month to month and THAT is the main difference between "contract" and payment plan.

Actually if you go the finance route, it IS a contract.

Are you not clear on what the word contract means? It's different terms, but it's still a contract

Here's the definition for you

adu6e2a8.jpg

So as the definition shows, IT IS a contract. This is a matter-of-fact, not opinion.

It's just a HUGE difference from normal phone contracts.

Even my boy at t-mobile (works there) admits it's a contract just without a time constraint.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Yes, I should have planned this better, and gone the prepaid route to test the service. I ported back and cancelled with T-Mobile within the 14 day period. They are refusing the pre-paid card and claim that when the account was closed I lost any credits on my account, plus they pre-billed me for January 18-February 18th, which they are refusing to credit back.

I have a call into the store's district manager to see what can be done. Considering if small claims will be an option if the DM can't help me.

Check the laws in your state. I'm my area you have the right to return something if it's not working. 30 days. I know with a merchant sale you have 30 days for a full refund. Go to BBB and your local

BBB

http://www.bbb.org/western-washingt...supplies/t-mobile-usa-in-bellevue-wa-27026359

FCC

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

To me, it basically means the same thing. And yes, you've been able to bring your own device to AT&T and go month to month for a while now (longer than this whole Uncarrier thing). There's no way they are going to bind you into a contract if you bring your own phone. I don't know about Verizon or Sprint, but I imagine the same thing there as well.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
To me, it basically means the same thing. And yes, you've been able to bring your own device to AT&T and go month to month for a while now (longer than this whole Uncarrier thing). There's no way they are going to bind you into a contract if you bring your own phone. I don't know about Verizon or Sprint, but I imagine the same thing there as well.

I don't know about sprint but until July I worked at Verizon and yes, you can get on a month to month plan

dt808

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Reno is a mixed bag. If you are in the main valley near downtown you get LTE with strong coverage, if you go downtown you get spotty coverage of both LTE and 3G, and if you live in Spanish Springs, Wingfield, or Lemmon Valley (like me) you get weak 3G, a lot of EDGE, and sometime No Service.

The coverage is GPRS only once you get past Verdi, and you don't pick up EDGE or 3G until you get to Auburn.

Ah gotcha, I live in Damonte Ranch. But, I'm a realtor.. so I'm always up in lemmon valley, spanish springs, etc. Can't afford to have no service or spotty coverage. Guess I'm staying with Verizon.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Simply put it's a contract on the phone, that is tied to a service. Once the service is cancelled the balance on the device becomes due. It is similar to an etf, when you cancel the etf is how the carrier gets back the subsidy they have you on the phone. Would have been better if tmobile allowed you to keep paying for the device monthly if you cancel service. Either way it's the same. Tmobile is just cheaper, and has always been. In 2009 I signed up for tmobile with my own device. My bill was $20 less than if I had received a subsidy.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Actually if you go the finance route, it IS a contract.

Are you not clear on what the word contract means? It's different terms, but it's still a contract

Here's the definition for you

So as the definition shows, IT IS a contract. This is a matter-of-fact, not opinion.

It's just a HUGE difference from normal phone contracts.

Even my boy at t-mobile (works there) admits it's a contract just without a time constraint.

It's not a contract because there is no contract for the service... that's the same as saying you've signed a contract with your bank, credit card company, maid service, car service etc.

You seem to have missed my point on perception... and the fact that I said you're both INCORRECT AND NOT INCORRECT.

I'll spell it out so it makes more sense then since you find the need to get on a high horse and post definitions...

IT'S NOT A TRADITIONAL MOBILE CONTRACT.

You're not tied to it like you are tied to a standard mobile contract. If you pay off the phone cost; be it the day of service, 2 months later or 2 years later you're no longer obligated to pay the $XX financing cost on TMo. With any of the other big companies up until recently you still paid the full (let's say this number for the sake of argument) $80 for your "PHONE PLAN" even if you've finished with your two year contract, walked in with your own phone and signed up. That isn't the same thing at all.

If I were to outright buy the Tmobile or Unlocked iPhone from Apple using their Barclay's card with 24 months no interest financing did I just sign a contract with T-Mobile? The answer is no... but I'm doing the exact same thing... but I actually save 2 bucks when I go through t-mo.

With the way you are CHOOSING to define it; EVERYTHING in life has a contract. Which is true... but we're discussing mobile phone contracts here. Not line of credit... are you catching what I'm saying?

Last edited:

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
If you finance a phone through T-Mobile you are under obligation to pay it off. That is a contract no matter how you look at it or what you say about it. Signing an agreement to pay for a device in full is a contract.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
It's not a contract because there is no contract for the service... that's the same as saying you've signed a contract with your bank, credit card company, maid service, car service etc.

You seem to have missed my point on perception... and the fact that I said you're both INCORRECT AND NOT INCORRECT.

I'll spell it out so it makes more sense then since you find the need to get on a high horse and post definitions...

IT'S NOT A TRADITIONAL MOBILE CONTRACT.

You're not tied to it like you are tied to a standard mobile contract. If you pay off the phone cost; be it the day of service, 2 months later or 2 years later you're no longer obligated to pay the $XX financing cost on TMo. With any of the other big companies up until recently you still paid the full (let's say this number for the sake of argument) $80 for your "PHONE PLAN" even if you've finished with your two year contract, walked in with your own phone and signed up. That isn't the same thing at all.

If I were to outright buy the Tmobile or Unlocked iPhone from Apple using their Barclay's card with 24 months no interest financing did I just sign a contract with T-Mobile? The answer is no... but I'm doing the exact same thing... but I actually save 2 bucks when I go through t-mo.

With the way you are CHOOSING to define it; EVERYTHING in life has a contract. Which is true... but we're discussing mobile phone contracts here. Not line of credit... are you catching what I'm saying?

You are repeating what I said (e.g. " IT'S NOT A TRADITIONAL Mobile CONTRACT."

I've said this the whole time.

I've BEEN saying it isn't a regular contract, it seems to me like you just want to argue after skimming (not reading) posts to entertain yourself.

You make a cadenthat it isn't a contract then your explanation shows that it is.

I never said it was an annual contract did I?

I've brought fact to the table, you're still debating opinion against proven fact...

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
You are repeating what I said (e.g. " IT'S NOT A TRADITIONAL Mobile CONTRACT."

I've said this the whole time.

I've BEEN saying it isn't a regular contract, it seems to me like you just want to argue after skimming (not reading) posts to entertain yourself.

You make a cadenthat it isn't a contract then your explanation shows that it is.

I never said it was an annual contract did I?

I've brought fact to the table, you're still debating opinion against proven fact...

No... but we're discussing a mobile carrier; See [Carrier] in thread title... it's a given what the discussion is... you're just arguing for the sake of arguing over what is a contract and isn't a contract.

Would you go to a thread subject discussing microwave ovens brands to talk about whether or not you can heat water in it? :rolleyes:

Completely irrelevant.

----------

If you finance a phone through T-Mobile you are under obligation to pay it off. That is a contract no matter how you look at it or what you say about it. Signing an agreement to pay for a device in full is a contract.

And if I buy an iPhone at the Apple store with my Barclay's card I can get it at 24 months no interest financing... this thread is about actual carrier contracts... not lines of credit to buy an iPhone.

It's not a carrier contract, it's a line of credit which isn't a the same thing.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
No... but we're discussing a mobile carrier; See [Carrier] in thread title... it's a given what the discussion is... you're just arguing for the sake of arguing over what is a contract and isn't a contract.

Would you go to a thread subject discussing microwave ovens brands to talk about whether or not you can heat water in it? :rolleyes:

Completely irrelevant.

----------

And if I buy an iPhone at the Apple store with my Barclay's card I can get it at 24 months no interest financing... this thread is about actual carrier contracts... not lines of credit to buy an iPhone.

It's not a carrier contract, it's a line of credit which isn't a the same thing.

Same effect. You have to pay up to cancel service. You can't cancel tmobile service an keep on paying the line of credit, the total is due at that point.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
I don't think it matters whether it is a contract or not. Who cares and why does it matter so much to you guys? Get over it. Some will think it's a contract and some won't.

Going back to the OP, T-Mobile has no right to take your phones and not give you the money for them. It's no different than a trade in. It is highway robbery if they don't because they now stole your phones. I hope you get your money one way another. Let's hope Legere responds back to you instead of spending all that time on twitter to talk about crap.

I would also call your previous carrier and black list them. Maybe this will kill their attempt to resell them.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
OK.. So call it a contract or not. Lets do the math for AT&T contract vs T-Mobile Jump and both discontinued after the first month. How much will it cost??

Iphone 5S 16GB and 6% sales tax to keep things simple

AT&T
$199 plus 6%= $210.94 with 2 year agreement/contract
$36 activation fee(currently this is zero if ordered online)
$60 1 month service 300mb plus unlimited talk and text($45 if you go NEXT or bring your own phone)
$315 Early termination fee ($325 minus $10 for 1 month)

$621.94 total to cancel contract after 1 month.

T-Mobile
0 down $25 X 24 months Finance contract
$36 6% Sales tax due at signing
$50 1 month service with 500 mb and unlimited talk and text
$600 due in full for discontinuing service

$686 total to discontinue service after 1 month

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
OK.. So call it a contract or not. Lets do the math for AT&T contract vs T-Mobile Jump and both discontinued after the first month. How much will it cost??

Iphone 5S 16GB and 6% sales tax to keep things simple

AT&T
$199 plus 6%= $210.94 with 2 year agreement/contract
$36 activation fee(currently this is zero if ordered online)
$60 1 month service 300mb plus unlimited talk and text($45 if you go NEXT or bring your own phone)
$315 Early termination fee ($325 minus $10 for 1 month)

$621.94 total to cancel contract after 1 month.

T-Mobile
0 down $25 X 24 months Finance contract
$36 6% Sales tax due at signing
$50 1 month service with 500 mb and unlimited talk and text
$600 due in full for discontinuing service

$686 total to discontinue service after 1 month

But why discontinue after one month? Why not two years later?
What would the final be if you never discontinued and saw the contract through on AT&T? How much would you pay then versus TMO?

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
But why discontinue after one month? Why not two years later?
What would the final be if you never discontinued and saw the contract through on AT&T? How much would you pay then versus TMO?

This thread keeps talking about Carrier contract vs. Finance Contract and how T-Mobile is the new messiah.

The benefit of not having a contract is that you can leave/switch anytime that you want. But with either carrier, there really isn't a savings if you do that. I was showing that if you leave after 1 month it will still cost you the same amount.

ATT NEXT with no contract and T-Mobile Jump both end up costing nearly the same if you keep the phone longer.

ATT Next $30 X 20 payments= $600
Least expensive monthly service $45 unlimited with 300mb

TMob JUMP $25 X 24 payments = $600
Least expensive monthly service $50 unlimited with 500mb

For me, I trade every year or less. I take what contract discounts that I can get and sell the phone when I get a new one. So far this has been the least expensive way for me.

These new programs increase their profits and that's why they do them.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
This thread keeps talking about Carrier contract vs. Finance Contract and how T-Mobile is the new messiah.

The benefit of not having a contract is that you can leave/switch anytime that you want. But with either carrier, there really isn't a savings if you do that. I was showing that if you leave after 1 month it will still cost you the same amount.

ATT NEXT with no contract and T-Mobile Jump both end up costing nearly the same if you keep the phone longer.

ATT Next $30 X 20 payments= $600

Least expensive monthly service $45 unlimited with 300mb

TMob JUMP $25 X 24 payments = $600

Least expensive monthly service $50 unlimited with 500mb

For me, I trade every year or less. I take what contract discounts that I can get and sell the phone when I get a new one. So far this has been the least expensive way for me.

These new programs increase their profits and that's why they do them.

There isn't a $45 plan on AT&T.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
Just got a call from the local T-Mobile Store manager, he explained that their Corporate Accounts rep managed to secure a full refund minus service used for the week and restocking fees for the devices.

Great outcome, it only took an exorbitant amount of time to get results. The local store was responsive and empathetic to the situation. Unfortunately the same can't be said of anyone at Customer Service, the CEO's office, or the people who do T-Mobiles customer service via Twitter.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Just got a call from the local T-Mobile Store manager, he explained that their Corporate Accounts rep managed to secure a full refund minus service used for the week and restocking fees for the devices.

Great outcome, it only took an exorbitant amount of time to get results. The local store was responsive and empathetic to the situation. Unfortunately the same can't be said of anyone at Customer Service, the CEO's office, or the people who do T-Mobiles customer service via Twitter.

Glad it ended well but you should not have had to go through all that to get back what's rightfully yours.

----------

I see $45 for data only. That's is not the total cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.