Carrier T-Mobile users - How is band 12 LTE?

cchs2014

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
I'm dying to know!
Has anyone gotten band 12 on their 6s' yet? If so, how does it perform?!

Billymac19

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Phila, PA
I'm dying to know!
in philly, in my house...looks the same signal bar wise..hmmmm

i swapped sim card from 6 plus into new 6s plus dont know or think that could have any effect or not

Last edited:

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Following! My boyfriend's iPhone 5 is paid off, and he's considering the 6s if it gets better signal than his 5 which can sometimes drop to HSPA or Edge. Anyone know if Kansas City has Band 12?

Of course it sort of depends on what his monthly payments would be. He got the 5 for $10 a month by trading in an AT&T unlocked 4S and putting some money down.

tworth23

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Following! My boyfriend's iPhone 5 is paid off, and he's considering the 6s if it gets better signal than his 5 which can sometimes drop to HSPA or Edge. Anyone know if Kansas City has Band 12?

Of course it sort of depends on what his monthly payments would be. He got the 5 for $10 a month by trading in an AT&T unlocked 4S and putting some money down.
I'm dying to know!
Hello everyone. Here is a link to T-Mobiles website showing where they have 700 MHz coverage. Aka (Band 12)

https://spectrum-gateway.appspot.com/t-mobile-700-mhz-spectrum.html

Reactions: travis64

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
FYI if someone can, please run field test to see which band you are on (hopefully you are within coverage):

For LTE - (Make sure you're on LTE)

1) Dial *3001#12345#* and hit “Call”
2) Click serving cell info....download and upload bandwidth will tell you if you are on 5x5 or 10x10.
3) Freq Band Indicator will tel you the band (17 if youre on lte). You may need to wait a while for it to appear (try have someone sending you an imessage during this, so it triggers the data)

Reactions: SBA

ijoelpod

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I was told at the apple store that there is a new special sim card for the iPhone 6s through T-mobile that takes advantage of new band capabilities, is this true? I just popped my sim from my 6plus into the 6S and everything seems to be working fine.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
I was told at the apple store that there is a new special sim card for the iPhone 6s through T-mobile that takes advantage of new band capabilities, is this true? I just popped my sim from my 6plus into the 6S and everything seems to be working fine.
Used my old SIM card, then checked using the field code test above and I'm on Band 12

fulton

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Anyone in the suburbs of Los Angeles show any improvement in signal quality with 6s? Thanks!

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
In NYC, on a new SIM in new 6S as I activated at the Apple store.

I have 1 dot better service in the middle of my apartment (worst spot), giving me 2 dots. And by the windows, I have 3 dots. I only had 1 dot before in my garden apartment. For those outside of NYC, that means it is half below street level on the front side of the apartment. My street is all old brownstones so lots and lots of brick.

I am very happy with it.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
FYI if someone can, please run field test to see which band you are on (hopefully you are within coverage):

For LTE - (Make sure you're on LTE)

1) Dial *3001#12345#* and hit “Call”
2) Click serving cell info....download and upload bandwidth will tell you if you are on 5x5 or 10x10.
3) Freq Band Indicator will tel you the band (17 if youre on lte). You may need to wait a while for it to appear (try have someone sending you an imessage during this, so it triggers the data)
It went from 4 to 12 to that weird 1477... number.

IMG_0020.PNG IMG_0021.PNG

Captain America

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
in philly, in my house...looks the same signal bar wise..hmmmm

i swapped sim card from 6 plus into new 6s plus dont know or think that could have any effect or not
Oh nice, I didn't know this kind of technology was even a thing. I live in DelCo, and thinking about signing up with T-Mobile. What kind of speeds do you get via the SpeedTest app?

EDIT: Evidently Apple didn't include support for band 12 on these phones. Wtf.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I honestly don't even know if it's live in my area. I will say I get a single bar of lte in my home where I was normally getting 4g or nothing (but had been on T-Mobile wifi). Is there a way to tell what band you're currently on?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Oh boy, that's like 6 locations in the whole US that shows band12 spectrum available.
Damn, hate to say it but Tmobile coverage is a joke compared to the big 2.
But it works great for those who are covered! It's not for everyone. People should get what works for them best. I haven't had any issues. It's better than my AT&T service for sure. I travel to mostly major cities + international travel.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
But it works great for those who are covered! It's not for everyone. People should get what for them best. I haven't had any issues. It's better than my AT&T service for sure. I travel to mostly major cities + international travel.
That Tmobile band 12 coverage is very miserable though. Are you in one of those 6-7 locations in the US?
Then you're lucky but millions of others probably are not covered well.
I guess you just gotta see what works best in your local area and places you frequent the most.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
That Tmobile band 12 coverage is very miserable though. Are you in one of those 6-7 locations in the US?
Then you're lucky but millions of others probably are not covered well.
I guess you just gotta see what works best in your local area and places you frequent the most.
In NYC so yes. Band 12 is new, it's growing. 2 years ago I couldn't switch. My service has only gotten better since I switched last year.

Reactions: Applejuiced

supermanfan

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
I am in a suburb of Denver.

At my house, on my iPhone6, I would get 1 bar of 4G and data basically didn't work.

Moved SIM over to new 6s and I occasionally get 2 bars of LTE. During that time field test mode indicates band 12.

The weird/frustrating thing is, it comes and goes. It will revert back to 4G and no data most of the time. How can the phone prefer a worse 4G signal over band 12?

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I'm on band 12 and I'm only getting 3 mbps down and 2 mbps up. It's alternating between three and four dots of signal (indoors! on T-Mobile! :eek:), so at least it's consistent.

supermanfan

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
I'm on band 12 and I'm only getting 3 mbps down and 2 mbps up. It's alternating between three and four dots of signal (indoors! on T-Mobile! :eek:), so at least it's consistent.
Yep - I see similar speeds when I am on band 12. That would be fine with me. I just want some kind of usable service in the house. I want to have LTE service if I have a power outage - so no WiFi, no Cellspot LTE repeater during power outage. 1 bar of 4G does not work.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Yep - I see similar speeds when I am on band 12. That would be fine with me. I just want some kind of usable service in the house. I want to have LTE service if I have a power outage - so no WiFi, no Cellspot LTE repeater during power outage. 1 bar of 4G does not work.
I see your point, but I don't understand why the speeds are so low. A few months ago, a speed test in the same location would show double digits for both download and upload. Is there a characteristic of band 12 that causes a regression in speed, or is there no relation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.