T-Mobile users / Instagram SLOWWW

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by its Dale, Nov 2, 2016.

1. its Dale, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

its Dale macrumors 6502

Not sure where else to post this, but i figured it get responses here.

Last month i switched to TMobile and notice that Instagram is runs very slow, even when I have great LTE signals. Videos won't load all the way without stopping to buffer. Picture load decently, but take about 2 seconds longer to load than when i had ATT. Every other data/picture/video/streaming app works fast and flawless. Instagram works fast when im on Wifi. Does anyone else notice this?

IG is the only app that i notice a change with speed

had my iPhone 7 with ATT for about 2 weeks before switching to TMobile.

2. noobinator macrumors 601

3. its Dale thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, forgot to mention i have T-Mobile One. They throttle speeds at 26GB, but I'm not even half way there. There's no Binge On with TMo1

4. noobinator macrumors 601

I thought with T-Mo one that binge on is on by default and you have to pay to turn it off through an HD day pass or something? In the end this probably doesn't even matter and I don't know where I'm going with this haha

5. its Dale thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol. Binge On is not offered with TMobile One, but my understanding is that you have the option to turn it off (at no cost) and stream all HD, but it will start to use your data. I imagine that Binge On helps stream faster when its on, due to the lower quality of streaming. Either way, Its not available to me haha

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is it acting the same when you're on wifi? Or only slows down when you're on carrier data?

7. its Dale thread starter macrumors 6502

IG on wifi is blazing fast. slows down so much on carrier data. i've tested other apps and they all run fast on data and wifi

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not very familiar with the tmobile one program but I believe you can go in the Tmobile app and turn off the binge on option.
    It shuts off for a day and then next day it automatically turns back on. So you would have to do it every day to be of full speed.
    Try turning it off for a day and check.
    My guess is all the video and picture content on IG might be throttled.

9. its Dale thread starter macrumors 6502

TMobile One does not have Binge On. There's no option to Toggle it. Its straight unlimited Data, dvd streaming, unless you pay for an HD pass. My wife has the HD + LTE tethering and she still has slow IG..

Thanks for the response

10. its Dale thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow what a coincidence. Today my IG is working fast now. It's been about a month of slow speeds. Maybe they saw this post.

Btw there's been a couple of instagram updates in between and I've deleted and re downloaded before.

11. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Definitely not normal. Might've just been a heavy server load? I'm on T-Mobile and haven't experienced any issues!

12. CPx macrumors 6502

Instagram videos buffer for me if I have Binge On enabled. If I disable Binge On, it's smooth as butter.

13. its Dale thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm thats interesting

14. ovo6 macrumors 6502

Instargram is such **** overall, videos and stories too slow

15. serglb macrumors newbie

serglb

T-Mobile One has Binge-ON built into the plan so there is no turning it off. The only way to temporarily remove binge-on is by adding T-Mobile One Plus (for $25) and adding a HD day pass (each day). Binge-On will forever be on by default unless you pay for HD day passes...

16. its Dale thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i didnt know Binge On affects Instagram as well. I thought it was only those apps that are listed under Binge On

anyhow, theres no such thing as "Binge On" with TMobile One. It throttles streaming, but its not "Binge On"

17. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

I did notice one day last week that instagram just didn't want to load (even over wifi). a few hours later everything was fine.

18. serglb macrumors newbie

serglb

Yeah, it effects any video streaming now, unfortunately.

19. its Dale thread starter macrumors 6502

--- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2016 ---

the quality should be 480p DVD, but the speed shouldnt be slow. it should actually be fast since its loading less. netflix/youtube do not load slow at all. its just the quality thats affected

20. serglb macrumors newbie

serglb

Maybe see if this is turned off. I know when I downloaded it, this setting was turned on by default.[​IMG]

21. its Dale thread starter macrumors 6502

--- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2016 ---
    mine is off. still have slow issues only with Instagram. I thought it fixed, but then it went back to slow

22. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

23. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Where is that setting at?

24. serglb macrumors newbie

serglb

In your Instagram settings under "cellular data use."

25. maverick22 macrumors 6502

I am also getting slow Instagram feeds on T-mobile with a 7 plus. IG videos pause every 2 seconds most of the time on LTE (ran a speed test at the time and was getting about 16 mbps). IG pictures load more slowly as well compared to AT&T. Just made the switch a couple of weeks ago, and it's a little annoying. IG ran smooth like butter on AT&T. Youtube videos are also playing at lower quality majority of the time even though I changed the "cellular data use" setting.