Take it easy on your eyes homies

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
http://stereopsis.com/flux/

i found this a while back and i really love it. i use the preset 'fluorescent' which only changes the screen to a warm mild tone. but basically the app knows your time zone and changes the screen hue slightly, which is easier on the eyes for long hours of use. also the normal hue of the screen has some of the same type of light as the sun, which keeps you awake, but this program takes that away so your computer wont keep you awake. good for me because sometimes i used to lay in bed on my laptop not being able to sleep for hours.

just read the app page and give yourself a chance to get used to it.

matt94gt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
Victoria BC Canada
http://stereopsis.com/flux/

i found this a while back and i really love it. i use the preset 'fluorescent' which only changes the screen to a warm mild tone. but basically the app knows your time zone and changes the screen hue slightly, which is easier on the eyes for long hours of use. also the normal hue of the screen has some of the same type of light as the sun, which keeps you awake, but this program takes that away so your computer wont keep you awake. good for me because sometimes i used to lay in bed on my laptop not being able to sleep for hours.

just read the app page and give yourself a chance to get used to it.

Been using this for about 8 months, love it, it works really well after a week you dont notice it, until you turn it off...then you realize how nice it really is.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Been using this for about 8 months, love it, it works really well after a week you dont notice it, until you turn it off...then you realize how nice it really is.
yup exactly. after a week or so i didnt even notice it and i really love it. so much easier on the eyes. i believe it helps with headaches too. and i love how you can set it to gradually fade into the warmer tint as the sun sets, so its not a sudden change if your using the computer at the time.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
i always use this when I am working with my computer in the dark... keeps me from getting eyestrain and helps my eyes adjust to the dark faster for when i do finally go to bed.

EtherealMAC

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
Just downloaded it, will try it for a week or two to see how I feel with it.

However I have aquestion:

Wouldn't this app conflict with Apple's already built in auto dimming of the screen brightness? Should I disable Apple's auto dim? Or will Flux override it?

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
This seems frickin awesome.

I was typing in a car yesterday at night and man was it rough. I ultimately inverted all my screen colors which seemed to work ok though.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Well I downloaded it. But shouldn't it really depend on the ambient lighting?

I think my eyes started to hurt when I put this. *edit* it hurts more when I turn it off :eek: ... something is happening lol

Last edited:

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010

Wouldn't this app conflict with Apple's already built in auto dimming of the screen brightness? Should I disable Apple's auto dim? Or will Flux override it?
i dont notice any built in dim feature on my mac ^_^

This seems frickin awesome.

I was typing in a car yesterday at night and man was it rough. I ultimately inverted all my screen colors which seemed to work ok though.
yeah man, its really nice, especially when you get used to it. like i said i use the mildest setting...florescent.

Well I downloaded it. But shouldn't it really depend on the ambient lighting?

I think my eyes started to hurt when I put this.
thats not the point...and thats weird it helps my eyes.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Try turning your brightness all the way up and than cover your isight camera with your hand.
either way it still doesnt change the tone. i can easily dim my screen by hand but that doesnt change the type of light it gives off.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
very nice, you get used to the milder lighting within a few minutes...apple should make it part of its OS
yeah i use the mildest setting and have it gradually transition to it over the period of like 30 mins or an hour so you dont even notice it change.

Silently dl-ed this the other day. Can't go back. This is so tame. Kudos.
yeah me either, i absolutely love it.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I didn't say it would change the tone? Im just saying it dims the light.
i know. my point is its irrelevant. this app has nothing to do with dimming the light. i was just simply saying i could give a **** about apples auto dimmer. i didnt even notice it and i can dim my own screen where i like it.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011

Dimming and color tone are two completely different things. This will not override your built in dimming of the LCD, however, it will override your color profile in order to warm up the LCD colors (which is what makes it so beneficial)

miker2209

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
i probably wouldnt use it while watching a movie but its easy to turn off. all you do is go to the top bar and set it to daylight
Thanks, i just tried it and i must say i can see how it really helps at night :D Thanks for sharing man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.