Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I'm getting pretty great battery life

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 79

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Maybe you could try loading up a HD video, and see how many times you can play it on a full battery before the device shuts down?

Apple says you should get 14 hours of HD Video, although that's probably 720p, and doesn't say what codec. Do you own any video media on iTunes?

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
I really haven't used It that much I was in class from 10 until 3

3 of the top 4 items are heavy Internet users. You can browse 12 hours on the Internet on the plus so if you have done 7 hours and have 30 percent left it . means your battery will die when you have 11 hours of useage which is perfectly fine

Safari is a battery hog

Safari being the primary use in 5s would earn you 7 hours with a dead battery

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Your battery life looks fine. All those hours and still at 28%!

I think I get something similar. If you want to save some life turn off all the unnecessary stuff and some notifications, etc. lots of guides with tips if you search around.

I wouldn't be worried though. Since there's likely nothing wrong with your battery life now one risk you run is getting a replacement unit that does have a real problem.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Your battery isn't fantastic but it's not horrible either. Honestly I doubt you'll find that the battery is defective.

Do the obvious battery saving things that you can Google: shut off most location based items, don't allow many apps to background refresh, keep your screen brightness 50% or lower, etc, etc.

GL! :)

:apple:

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas
I feel your pain. I am going tomorrow after having the phone less than 3 days. The screen has a bright white spot on the bottom right which is very obvious in bright colors and especially when typing into the web browser in landscape mode.

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
Rochester, NY
You probably had a bad signal during class - a bad cell signal will constantly be scanning for signal and eat up more battery life.

If you have a particularly bad signal, turn off cellular data if you have a wifi connection.

jojods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I feel your pain. I am going tomorrow after having the phone less than 3 days. The screen has a bright white spot on the bottom right which is very obvious in bright colors and especially when typing into the web browser in landscape mode.

hopefully we get it fixed man

I appreciate all the advice i've had on here

thanks guys

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I thought about this but if its not hardware they would never replace my phone anyway would they?

You don't necessarily need them to definitively prove the device is defective. Apple replaced an iPhone for me once because it was occasionally dropping signal randomly for a minute at a time in areas where I should have had excellent signal. It wasn't something they could reproduce at the genius bar (it didn't happen often enough), but they took my word for it and switched it out.

I suggest seeing if they ask you to do a clean reset on the phone, kindly agree but let them know you'll return if that doesn't solve it. Go back a couple of days later (provided that you'll still be in the 14-day return window) and ask them to switch it out if the problem remains unresolved.

In my experience, they won't give you any trouble if you're friendly and go through the standard troubleshooting. The 6 Plus should have incredible battery life under normal conditions (easily besting all of the Android flagships and prior iPhones) -- it lasted for over 13 hours in Anandtech's wi-fi battery run-down test and should be around 20-40% better than the iPhone 6 depending on type of usage.

jojods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
You don't necessarily need them to definitively prove the device is defective. Apple replaced an iPhone for me once because it was occasionally dropping signal randomly for a minute at a time in areas where I should have had excellent signal. It wasn't something they could reproduce at the genius bar (it didn't happen often enough), but they took my word for it and switched it out.

I suggest seeing if they ask you to do a clean reset on the phone, kindly agree but let them know you'll return if that doesn't solve it. Go back a couple of days later (provided that you'll still be in the 14-day return window) and ask them to switch it out if the problem remains unresolved.

In my experience, they won't give you any trouble if you're friendly and go through the standard troubleshooting. The 6 Plus should have incredible battery life under normal conditions -- it lasted for over 13 hours in Anandtech's wi-fi battery run-down test and should be around 20-40% better than the iPhone 6 depending on type of usage.

Can't I just tell them I have already done a reset?

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
What they will likely do is test the battery. I think the Genius Bar has ways to check the available capacity, just like coconut battery does on the Mac. So, if they test and the phone battery capacity checks out, I wouldn't expect them to exchange or anything.

FWIW, I found with the 6+ that with lots of screen on internet browsing, my phone was near dead battery after about the same amount of time.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
It's 16 hours of the last 24 hours, Genius!

If you're talking about the battery stats, that's incorrect -- it measures usage and standby times since the last full charge. The app battery usage %'s are broken down by last 24 hours and Last [X number of] days.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Use your phone as intended, just don't complain about battery life LOL. WiFi DRAINS battery on any device.

All radios drain the battery on all devices, but they don't drain equally at all times. The wifi will drain the least amount of battery if you're connected to a network than the cellular connection will if it's also got a good connection to the network. If you're not getting cell reception, turn off your cell radios for better battery life. If you're not connected to a wifi network, turn off your wifi.

But seeing as how the OP said he's a college student, I'm willing to bet there is a wifi network available and he's connected to it. Telling him to turn the wifi off will drain the battery faster if that is the case, not slower.

jojods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
All radios drain the battery on all devices, but they don't drain equally at all times. The wifi will drain the least amount of battery if you're connected to a network than the cellular connection will if it's also got a good connection to the network. If you're not getting cell reception, turn off your cell radios for better battery life. If you're not connected to a wifi network, turn off your wifi.

But seeing as how the OP said he's a college student, I'm willing to bet there is a wifi network available and he's connected to it. Telling him to turn the wifi off will drain the battery faster if that is the case, not slower.

Ok so the phone has lasted me from 8am until 9pm it's impressive but it doesn't live up to my other friends and people on heres battery life.
Also i put it on sleep, turn it back on and the % keeps going down.

Do you think it might all be in my head? I genuinely think there might be a slight problem. I'm going to restore now

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Without knowing the specifics of your usage, I can't say whether that battery life is correct or not. You already have the appointment, the guys at the store will tell you whether or not it's a problem. The restore is a good idea though. Good luck with that!

One thing though: Do you have the parallax turned on? If so, turn that off immediately. I got much better battery life when I did that.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Ok so the phone has lasted me from 8am until 9pm it's impressive but it doesn't live up to my other friends and people on heres battery life.
Also i put it on sleep, turn it back on and the % keeps going down.

Do you think it might all be in my head? I genuinely think there might be a slight problem. I'm going to restore now

That's pretty good if you use it a lot.

Remember this graphic.

Battery.jpg

Does it feel like your 6+ is doing maybe 15% better then a 5 or 5S? Then it's probably performing appropriately.

You will not see anything like double the on screen time or anything like that.

jojods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
That's pretty good if you use it a lot.

Remember this graphic.

Does it feel like your 6+ is doing maybe 15% better then a 5 or 5S? Then it's probably performing appropriately.

You will not see anything like double the on screen time or anything like that.

I would say based on that graphic it is closer to the 5s than anything else..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.