Tale of 6 Replacements

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imacuser12, Feb 11, 2011.

1. imacuser12 macrumors newbie

[This is my Story with AppleCare and I'm looking for suggestions for how to deal with them further]

Yes, my 3GS has been replaced with a refurbished replacement unit 6 times in less than 1 year. Every iPhone from the new, I got, had a different problem+1. Currently the iPhone I'm using, vibrates on touch!

Here's everything in points:

- AppleCare refuses to do something about these phones and gives only option to get replaced with another faulty refurbished unit.
    - Last refurbished 3GS had a faulty glass which was visible, but Apple Service guy refused to address that as he felt it was 'minor' issue.
    - Last time when I was on phone with AppleCare, the Customer Relations Guy told me about the service Apple offers in India is only on Software and hardware is taken care by local service people. Seriously?
    - After talking on phone and hearing the same answers, I tried to get out something different from CR guy and he shockingly said 'go file a law suit'!!! (I have the case number if that helps to track the CR)
    - Another CR calls me and tells me to follow some diagnostic steps to check if the problem is with software. Makes me restore the iphone from a fresh account on my mac.
    - After doing this for more than an hour, she tells me that this is a hardware issue and phone gets disconnected. Blank. I can not get to call back on the same number. Emailed her 4 times, but no response.
    - 1 Another issue with Apple I've faced was worse, Apple was to refund me some amount. They called me and asked for my bank account details to wire transfer funds. It's been ONE year now. (Still have case number)

I'm just loosing confidence on Apple now. And it's important to me because only computers and accessories I have in my office is Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touches and Airport Extreme. Every device has some or the other problem out of the box. Mine is a startup company and is self funded, not that rich to ignore the problem AppleCase is creating for me.

What can I do now?
    Is Apple only selling stuff in India and avoiding denying warranty? I've somehow started to feel that it's my fault to ask for 'warranty'.

Thanks Apple, you don't Care! I don't have time to file a lawsuit though.

2. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When I here these stories I usually ask, have you considered the problem is not with the phone?

4. imacuser12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm an Apple loyalist and buy new iPhone only when they launch in India.

I'm one of the few people to buy all the devices on launch day.

Oh, problem is very much with the phone.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

C'mon, EVERY device you have has a problem out of the box?

Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touches and Airport Extreme?

If that is the case, why do you keep buying crap?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Time to stop wasting your time OP and move on to Windows machines.

7. imacuser12 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is my lack of confidence with Apple products speaking after my experience with iPhone(s).

For Example -

- Every Macbook pro/keyboard has a capslock issue.
    - Every Macmini has a loose cable problem.
    - Every Mighty mouse has scrolling issues.

Airport extreme is fine till now.

Do you agree with my above examples?

My point is that at one moment you have extreme confidence on Apple's service and just at the peak all of this looks meaningless.

8. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Sounds like you have really bad luck. I'm glad I avoided the 3GS. It blows my mind some people are actually downgrading from the 4 to the 3GS.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I agree

I am not convinced

That is a good question to ask

OP, the odds of getting bad devices multiple times is rather unfeasible when millions of others do not have problems. The fact it affects every Apple device you get is telling

Perhaps you are looking for problem and have this sense of perfection that must be present. Well, there is no such thing as perfection. Manufacturing is not 100% flawless nor does it claim to be and will never be, hence why they have "tolerances". Same with any aspect of the device.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Actually the 3GS is pretty awesome
    After getting the iP4 I considered going back myself
    Instead my GF is using it and loves it

11. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I'll be replacing my iPhone 4 for the 6th time tomorrow.

First one was delivered with the dock connector water sensor red
    Second one would have lose service sporadically for 15-30 minutes
    Third iPhone would crash while sleeping (locked screen)
    Fourth iPhone worked fine for a few months until the lock button broke (button was always loose, but I didn't want to take it in until it was a problem, and no, I didn't use any kind of excessive force on it)
    Fifth iPhone (current) will lose service and won't come back until it's rebooted (tried restoring and everything) and battery life is less than 3 hours when locked

There was another one between the first one and the fourth, but I don't remember what the issue was (I want to say serious problem with service and/or battery), I had it for maybe two days. I've had only 1 serious drop with anyone of them, and that was the first one when I was opening it, all other (few) drops were very short drops onto a bed.

12. imacuser12, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011

imacuser12 thread starter macrumors newbie

When you have phones with touch issues, phones vibrating on its own and brand new phone having (visible) physical glitches - problem is with the phone.

The problem is that I was denied service and as all. At one point one of the CR advised me to file Law suit - this surely will kill anyone's confidence.

I'd buy anything 'Apple'

Your iPhone sounds Like mine

[UPDATE] I posted the same in Apple's discussion forum and it's been deleted.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^^
    I'm not surprised it was deleted on the Apple Board
    Your post is your first post and sounds extremely trollish
    But we are a little more tolerant here :)

14. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i had to exchange my iphone 3gs with apple care once and the whole proccess took about 3 business days totally. it was lightning fast and they sent me a brand new 3gs. sounds like apple is selling refurbed pieces of crap in india these days

15. imacuser12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, trollish is to have no constructive argument/discussion. I did share my experience to see if someone else had faced same problems and could suggest me something worthwhile.

16. imacuser12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Replacement units of any iPhone is refurbed (mostly) if it comes in a brown box with no accessory.

I first got to know about this when a new replaced unit's glass was misfitted and the screw was (kind of) junked..

17. vachargerfan macrumors regular

I think it is time for you to maybe look at another brand. 6 bad phones I agree is excessive. Either upgrade to a newer phone, or move on to something else

18. imacuser12, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011

Moving to something else would be a worse nightmare I guess.

19. vachargerfan macrumors regular

If you are eligible for an upgrade, I would go to the 4. I am on my first and it has been great

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am going to guess if you sat down at my desk where I have...

17" MBP I have used for 3 years
    23" ACD I have used for 2 years
    iPad I have used for nearly 1 year
    iPhone I have used for nearly 1 year

...that you would find something unacceptable with all of them

21. imacuser12, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

AppleCare is denying any service related to iPhone here. But still they have option on AppleCare on iPhone, they still email you on new iPhone launch!

I have all of those and more, here in an office of 10 people. And suddenly when you hear one day that the warranty is useless on these products, you will feel in-secured.. And talk about $$ spent on AppleCare Protection Plans

22. supernet33 macrumors regular

When I had my 3G replaced 4 times, Apple gave me a Brand new 3GS for free..

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The behavior of the caps lock key is deliberate.

I have several minis. The cables are on pretty tight.

Can't aruge that, but there IS a magic mouse now that does away with the mechanical ball.

I think you're engaging in hyperbole to try and make your point. And it usually never works.

24. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

More like:

"Tale of 6 Massive OCD Replacements"

Seriously dude, get over it

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I've been to India many times and it doesn't feel like Apple is really deployed in India (like no Apple Stores, etc). That is why I am a bit unsurprised with your experience (mainly the "File a lawsuit" thing)