Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny

Odd how I have been able to get music off an iPod through the Terminal then play it in iTunes, even though they're "encoded." Does the Terminal app automatically decode copyrighted music off an iPod??

I think I mistated it when I said the MP3s themselves are encoded. I believe the iPod software itself keeps you from downloading the MP3s off the iPod on a computer that they are not from.

You may have found a work around for this.:)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
...but - the real trojan horse would be if the PC versions came with a cross-platform manual:

Table of contents:
Using iPod with Mac OS X: page 1
Using iPod with Windows: pages 2-50

:D

I think that's the best post in this whole thread. :)

I always get a good chuckle out of those manuals...

bunton

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
**** my mother

I dont give a **** where this ****er is sold but I wnat one but it is 5 ****ing huundr-****ing-ed dollars mother ****s. Damn why cant it be cheaper maybe if it goes to Target Targot? it will be cheaper?

[Admin Edit: user banned]

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: so ****ing sorry

Originally posted by bunton
for swearing so much, but i am so emotionall about this five hundred dolar ****ing **** ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Public service note. This is how to get banned.

arn

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Re: so ****ing sorry

Originally posted by bunton
for swearing so much, but i am so emotionall about this five hundred dolar ****ing **** ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

UHHHHHH.....There are more cost efficient models you know!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by MacBandit

I think I mistated it when I said the MP3s themselves are encoded. I believe the iPod software itself keeps you from downloading the MP3s off the iPod on a computer that they are not from.

You may have found a work around for this.:)

Where have you been???? There are all types ofutilities that allow you to copy songs from the iPod to iTunes!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W

Also I couldn't care if I could copy mp3s from one computer to another. That in general is just piracy and I have no need for that.

Ohhh really?????
You say that now....I'll check back with you later, and we will see if you have changed your mind!!!;) ;) :p

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
Geez...

Originally posted by solvs
I wondered why this thread was so long. Everybody's talking about Wal-Mart. It's a store, some people who go to some stores are poorer, some are just cheap. I myself fall somewhere in the middle and shop at all sorts of stores.

On topic, I think any exposure for Apple will be good at this point.

To those confused, the Windows version of the iPod WILL NOT work like the Mac version on a Mac. Technically, you may be able to use it as a hard drive, but it will not function as a Mac iPod. Not to mention the fact that the Windows version has a 4 pin firewire connection, not the 6 pin you find on Macs (and actually a lot of PCs). There may be a way to do it, but as someone else posted, Apple says you can't (or they won't).

You don't need a hack to use an iPod with both. Like someone else said, just buy xPlay. Mediafour makes some great cross-platform software. It would have been easier for Apple just to sell 1 iPod (with 3 different drive sizes) and include xPlay, instead of a Windows version incompatible with Apple, and vice versa.

Of course, if you buy a Windows iPod, and love it so much you buy a Mac, you'd have to format it to work as a regular Mac version. Then you'd have to buy xPlay or not use it on your PC, because the PC wouldn't recognize it anymore. Even as a hard drive. And since Apple won't support it after you format it, it might not work as an iPod anymore and you'd have a very expensive little hard drive.

Or a paperweight if it doesn't work at all.

Thanks Solvs...you answered my question..

Wow, I asked way back when to see if a hack was needed and all you guys are doing is dogging on Wal-mart...I wonder if these are the same jackholes who used to rag on people who shopped at Pic and Save or 99 cent store..:p Grow up.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Geez...

Originally posted by chewbaccapits

Thanks Solvs...you answered my question..

Wow, I asked way back when to see if a hack was needed and all you guys are doing is dogging on Wal-mart...I wonder if these are the same jackholes who used to rag on people who shopped at Pic and Save or 99 cent store..:p Grow up.

Actually he didn't answer the question correctly. If you reread my posts and my reply to this post by solvs you will see that a PC iPod will work with a Mac with no modification just like Mac iPod will.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W

If I need to copy MP3s or any file from one computer to another it would be easier for me to just burn a DVD anyway.

Just FYI, your wasting your DVD’s by doing that, when you can just dump a file on your iPod and transfer it!! ;) ;)

Just a scenario for you….. Let say your cousin or friend has a mpeg or. avi movie or a mp3 you want, are you telling me you won’t put it on your iPod, because you think that is piracy? Gimmie a break!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.