Target Working on QR Code Mobile Wallet as Apple Pay Holdout Continues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2015.

1. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I guess I'll just buy most stuff in the Target app using Apple Pay and then pick it up in the store.

Might as well let their staff go around and pick stuff off the shelves for me if they're not going to let me use a secure form of payment at their registers. Double win for me -- my payment stays secure and I don't have to push a cart all over their store trying to avoid folks who nearly run me over with their carts.

2. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

As I said before, the whole mobile payment is mess. You get Apple Pay which only works with iPhone, you get Samsung Pay which only works with Samsung phones, you get Android pay which works with NFC enabled Android phones, you get current C, Surtap in Canada.

There are too much limitation and so many craps. None of them including Apple Pay will take off. All those mobile payment crap do not make wallet irreverent and just to much of chaos.

I still believe industry need come together to develop a unified solution for mobile payment that works with all NFC enabled phone regardless iPhone, Android, WP or BlackBerry. Otherwise, I do not see how mobile Payment can take off anytime.

3. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

We go to Target all the time. The new Target sim chip cards are a HUGE pain - they don't let you start paying until AFTER the last item has been scanned and the cashier is waiting for you. (Before the sim chip cards - you could process payment and be waiting by your cart before the last item scanned). This has been pissing me off to no end.

Even though I'm a huge fan of Target (better than other stores in our area) - due to their relaxed security that caused a leak - why would I trust a wallet app from them? I've used Apple Pay at Subway and it's so convenient I would be very attracted to a retailer that used Apple Pay. Sad.

4. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

There is no premium to avoid Wal-Mart. Proven in numerous sources. On the average the prices of both places are the same.

5. sziehr macrumors 6502a

This one is easy lock in. The know that a customer will lock in to what ever works well for them after a successful use. They are trying to use this change over time to re-direct the customer to there apps to help them with data and save on transaction fees. They of course then get to monetize the data to sell to vendors for what sells and what does not and at what price and location etc. This is why target and wal-mart have and will continue to push so hard for these apps. They want the savings and data that apple pay or google pay deny them. They also frankly would not accept a rotating ID contactless payment card as well. The rotating ID is what they loath no longer can they track each time that CC number pops up in there system. They also do not like the EMV for this reason however they also do not want to pay penalty of fraud so they comply.

This is really a let down on card issuers they have the power to force this as part of there EMV pin push when that comes. The sign part was always meant as a transitional period. So Listen up visa and master card you get another shot at this when you start to push the pin portion of EMV, to force contactless equal treatment. There is no rule in there agreement mandating they take contactless cards just that they comply with EMV chip and sign. That will eventually give way to chip and pin agreement so we can all just hope visa says we want even more security and push contactless.

6. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Just get with the program Target, Walmart, CVS, and every other big box retailer.

7. JimmyHook macrumors 6502a

I guess that means I stop shopping there until they fully support Apple Pay

8. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I don't mind stores trying to do these gimmicks to track how people shop and compete with Apple Pay/Google wallet. However what does bother me is the lack of options. At least let the customer decide if he or she prefers Apple Pay and allows users to use NFC .

9. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

The pain its causing you, allows for MUCH more security.

You complain about them being more secure in the first paragraph and then complain about their relaxed security in 2nd lol.

10. virtualSIM macrumors newbie

virtualSIM

You can run, but you can't hide. Apple Pay's gonna get there eventually.

11. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Dude, are you gonna stop shop at WalMart and Target all together? If you start boycott stores aren't accept Apple Pay, you probably will have nowhere to shop anywhere.

Just accept it, Apple Pay isn't going to replace your wallet, you still gonna use credit card, just use your credit card for God sake.

12. BigMcGuire, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

No other place does this (albeit, I haven't used a sim card credit card (starting to get them in the mail left/right) in any other location yet). So if it's possible for EVERYONE ELSE (well, almost everyone else) to be secure and use a swipe and pay before being done with transactions (Wal-Mart, Vons, Stater Bros, Lowes, Home Depot)....... it's a valid complaint in my opinion.

I have no problems with them being secure, at my local Target they have 20+ lanes and usually only 2-3 lanes are being used. Adding a delay to payment has caused even longer lines - something that the management doesn't seem to care about. People who go to my local Target have noticed this.

13. mantan macrumors 68000

Exactly. This issue was always about data mining. Apple Pay is great for the consumer in that it's anonymous and secure. Merchants (understandably) are more interested in tracking customer spending habits than anonymous payment solutions.

But unless they can find a way to provide it in a secure and seamless manner, it's going to be a non-starter. You'll have a few diehard bargain hunters (the same that'll use a Target card now to save money) - but most people aren't looking for a third party payment solution just to make it easier to track their spending habits.

The ultimate solution would be a way to allow customers to opt in to link their rewards/store ID's with Apple Pay. That would give the security/convenience of Apple Pay, but the ability to track purchases/earn points if the customer WANTED to do that.

14. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Apple Pay allows for Loyalty Card Now. Do Google Search on this. "Walgreens First to Launch Loyalty Program Integration with Apple Pay". There is no reason for Target, CVS, Safeway/Vons not to offer Apple Pay and at the same time tie in their Loyalty Card.
    I always prefer to pay with my Cash Back Credit Card except at Target. With the Red Card I get 5% discount and on my Cash Back CC it is less. I just wish I could add my Red Card to my Apple Pay.

Apple Pay seems to be much safer for the customer and the store. I just do not get the resistance.

Also, Apple Pay if much much better when you have a Apple Watch. My finger print does not always work in my iPhone. But Apple Pay has never failed on my Watch.

15. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

Pretty soon you will not be shopping anymore :)

16. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

I want to know who thinks this garbage up? I don't want 100 apps for the stores I shop at. Who is going to the store, open the store app and pay? Much easier to whip out your card and pay or tap your phone and be done.

If they want to "Track you", just do NFC loyalty cards that auto pop-up like Wegmans and Walgreen's.

I love using Apple Pay where I can - it makes things so much easier. I'm not going to use some retailer's mobile wallet app.

17. MagMan1979 macrumors member

MagMan1979

Wow, I already knew this to be true of most IT departments of corporations these days, but this just confirms my thoughts publicly. They are so ***** out of touch with reality and what consumers wants, and all they care about is mining every last bit of information about their customers so they can spam you and track you.

No ***** thanks jack asses! I use Pay VERY happily here in Canada now with my AMEX, and actively avoid going to places who don't support it, as I don't want to be tracked or have my purchasing habits mined.

18. Xavier macrumors 68030

Target, already having a large breach of security, is going to adopt a payment method that is just as susceptible but with potential for losing more compromising data?

Yeah, not shopping at Target.

19. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Yay! A different payment app for each store I purchase from! That's convienient! And it uses QR codes to boot!

Look, I don't boycott a place if I can't use ApplePay there, but how are these new "payment solutions" more convienient? How? Unless they're offering discounts every time you use it, there's no way this will catch on with anyone.

20. uncle.zed macrumors member

uncle.zed

Why don't You use simple PayPass/PayWave credit/payment card ther in USA? It's the simplest, easyest , cheapest. No hustle with phone, QR code, all that crazy stuff. Just point Your wallet near the terminal and its done. We do it here since 2010 or more. Would never like to swith to some phone payment.

21. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Question: Why limit any way of ____________?
    Answer: Why, greed of course.

You can fill in the blank. Limiting what we can do as consumers is how corporations make money. It's why there are limits on what we can watch on our Apple TV. It's why there are limits on what device we can watch NFL games (live or other). It's why there are limits on everything. GREED.

22. nathan.l.larsen macrumors member

nathan.l.larsen

I wonder why they wouldn't at least let people use Apple Pay with their REDcards, both Debit & Credit, with Apple Pay. That'd still allow them to maintain control of the payment method & avoid costly transaction fees while also increasing security.

23. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Agreed. The only reason why we go to Target is the Cartwheel app (on iPhone) and the Target Debit card (5% off). Savings can be 15-20% sometimes. I imagine most Target customers will suffer an app - tho I personally would prefer Apple Pay integrating a Target Card.

24. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

They will call it... Target Pay. You heard it here first. :rolleyes:

25. AbSoluTc, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Nope, nope and NOPE!

I have had my credit card stolen - both times because of Target. I used to like Target but after hearing this, they can **** right on off. Of ALL the companies that SHOULD NOT be diving into this and SHOULD BE embracing Apple Pay because of the security, it should be Target.

I don't shop at Walmart and haven't set foot in one of their stores in about 6 years. Have no plans to do so. Target is heading that way as well.

Might I add that Target still does NOT take chip/pin cards yet. How about you get with the times and fix that first and THEN attempt alternative payment types. :rolleyes: