Target Working on QR Code Mobile Wallet as Apple Pay Holdout Continues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2015.

1. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Why does every merchant made payment service blow?? Isn't the point of business to get our money? Make the process as easy as possible!

2. bkaus macrumors regular

Why the push back?

They feel like they are at an inflection point that gives them leverage to move in house. That will save them money (perhaps), provide better tracking (possibly even be tied to Bluetooth beacons), and possibly more loyalty (app can offer discounts, once app installed, likely to go back,etc).

At some point I believe they will be willing to accept any payment again. It's simply a cost of doing business. But dragging feet now gives them a chance at inroads into their own system.

3. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Thank you for stating that. I'm getting bashed for saying the same thing here. Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this way. I envy you folks in LA (your Apple Pay adoption). :p

4. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

You're right. Microsoft is clueless, it's kind of stupid that they're used everywhere.

If only everyone would use everything Apple, we'd be living under the Apple dictatorship the worshippers pray for. :D

5. macnewbie91 macrumors 6502

macnewbie91

Dude, what are you even talking about?

A SIM card credit card? A sim card is smaller than the chip on your credit and debit card. It's called an EMV chip.

Swipe and pay isn't secure. The regulations say merchants must accept EMV payments or else they'll face charge backs for fraudulent charges. Target doesn't want to face charge backs, so they adopted EMV like most other companies will soon.

Well you see, here in America, people are too lazy to learn anything new. I believe some banks started giving out NFC cards years ago, but they all retracted (except for HSBC) because the stores and consumers didn't want to spend the money or learn something. That's why we still use cards with an magnetic film on the back of our cards.

6. big-ted macrumors regular

big-ted

Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay are great if you have a smartphone, for those that don't Chip cards work perfectly well

7. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

That's what Apple wants you to think.

It's typical Apple story telling to make them look warm and fuzzy.

It's working too, because Apple has unlimited marketing resources to bombard us with.

8. palmerc macrumors 6502

palmerc

Not everyone is price conscious nor is a payment solution the end of the world. However, incentives make the world go 'round. In other words, as time goes by and enough negatives surround Target people will go somewhere else or Target will realize that its foray into mobile payments failed. The aspects of this service that almost destine it to failure are the use of QR codes, trusting Target with credit card data and being a single-store solution.

9. macnewbie91 macrumors 6502

macnewbie91

Why do I keep seeing insane amounts of ignorance on this thread?

Target accepts chip transactions, as of August 2015.

They don't control the PIN aspect of it... Since the banks control the programming of the card.

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I'd like to think I do but part of living is learning new things so I'll admit I don't know everything. You may be too young to remember (I consider myself an old fart already) but there were sim cards bigger than the "nano" sim cards used today. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202645 :p https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_card

11. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Actually a SIM card is the same size as a whole credit card, so it couldn't be smaller than just the chip on a credit/debit card.

Maybe you're thinking of a mini-SIM, micro-SIM, nano-SIM, etc. which would probably not be smaller than the chip on credit/debit cards.

12. Rigby macrumors 601

Apple Pay transactions cost the retailer no more than transactions with the physical card. The small fee for Apple comes out of the bank transaction fees (in exchange the banks' cost for fraud is reduced slightly).

13. macnewbie91 macrumors 6502

macnewbie91

My chip on My Chase and HSBC cards are twice the size as the one in my iPhone...

14. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Not gonna sign up for a Target card, not going to care about their solution to payment.

Hell, I'm still VERY annoyed Starbucks doesn't do ApplePay.

15. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Proof of Target collecting consumer data... I remember my wife and I hitting the Target Pharmacy for a prescription. The next day we were both surprised to see that very prescription plastered all over Facebook (Ads).

16. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

If I remember correctly, Targets do have chip readers. I just use my chip card in there if needed. The rest of the time I use cash because I don't trust them very much after the breach.

17. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

18. ptb42 macrumors 6502a

This isn't Target's fault. It's an intentional feature of the chip card.

With a magnetic strip, you could swipe the card and the terminal would store the information until the transaction was ready to be submitted. Incidentally, this is how Target was breached: the info on your magstripe was stored in memory, unencrypted. Malware installed on the point-of-sale terminal was able to snag the info and send it outside Target's network.

In contrast, the chip in your card is actually used DURING the authorization, to avoid a man-in-the-middle attack. The authorization request can't be made until your transaction is complete (and the amount is known).

Yes, you could insert your card into the slot before your transaction is complete. But, some merchants are not allowing it, so they don't have to worry about someone forgetting their card when checkout is complete.

19. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Extra cost + loss of customer purchase data.

20. igorsky Suspended

Yes. Apple is also a political cabal that secretly runs the US government.

21. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

If you're referring to the contact patch, the chip is much smaller than the contacts.

Also if you're referring to the contact patch, I think you'll find if you take the nano-SIM or micro-SIM out of whichever iPhone you have, it's the same size as the contacts on your credit card. Unless your HSBC or Chase cards don't work in standard readers, then I don't know. It's all defined in ISO 7810, so anything out of standard is ... well, not standard.

22. OnTheZone macrumors regular

Wait so the app lets you use Apple Pay but the stores won't. Let Apple Pay and android pay do there thing and stop making stupid mobile payments.

23. ptb42 macrumors 6502a

Unless you are cutting apart your card or x-raying it, what you see are the contacts for the chip -- not the chip itself.

24. igorsky Suspended

Didn't know, thanks for clearing up. Makes it even more outrageous that retailers have been slow to adopt it.

25. macnewbie91 macrumors 6502

macnewbie91

True but that's what the person I quoted was talking about.

Either way it's still called an EMV chip, not a SIM chip.