Targus Slim Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Photography, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Photography, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Is anyone getting this case? If yes, what color did you get the case in, and what color is your new iPad? I know a few people are, but I didn't see a thread dedicated to this case yet, so I thought I'd see who else is getting a Targus Slim Case.

2. mikepro macrumors 6502

It's the one I am going to get. I think it is the best looking slim case. I like the colors and contrasting stitching. I have the black iPad. I haven't 100% decided on the color, but I'm considering Indigo, Cream, or Gray. Will probably go Indigo. I really like the cream though too, just wonder how clean looking it will stay. I really like the look of the white iPad, but got black for movie watching, book reading. Cream would give me the best of both worlds with the white look, but black iPad.

But, the indigo with contrasting stitching looks so dang good, I'll probably get that one.

3. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Me too. I have one in indigo on order with Amazon. Should be nice with a white bezel.

4. Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

I'm getting a black iPad and I'm torn between the Black, Indigo, and Orange Targus Slim Cases. They're all so beautiful, I'm just wondering which one (black, indigo, or orange) will go best with a black iPad.

5. Smithwicks macrumors 6502

Black ipad and will probably go with the bone white color if I can get over that horrific cutout on the back

6. mikepro macrumors 6502

I personally think black is boring. Also, consider you don't normally see the bezel color and the case color at the same time, i.e. when the case is open, you see the inside case color, which appears to be gray. So, you want something that contrasts well with the aluminum back and gray interior. I don't think orange fits this requirement. So, of your 3 choices, I would go Indigo, hands down. Looks great with gray interior and aluminum back.

7. Photography, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

You make great points, and that solidified my decision. I was already leaning toward the indigo, just preordered on Amazon. Hopefully they'll ship it soon, as there's currently no ETA.

Also, is anyone concerned that this case weighs literally 1 pound? It seems very heavy for a case. Is that deterring any of you from ordering this case due to its heavy weight?

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

When I first saw it, I was convinced and all ready to buy.

Until I saw the back.

*facepalm*

9. langers2010 macrumors member

Completely agree. I'm completely against buying the Targus cases now I've seen they all have that stupid cutout on the back to show the :apple: logo.

I just see it as pretentious that you would want to display the :apple: to the extent that you'd buy a case with a hole in it.

10. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Yeah, the cutout is excessive. However, the when I look at some other brands I see their logo melted into the cover! I just figure the back does not show that often.

11. Eder6301 macrumors member

Eder6301

I am going to get the pink one as soon as its available on Amazon, the targus representative told me that the targus slimcase might be available Friday 16th at best buy, i might get it there just so that the iPad will be protected from day 1

12. nconnella macrumors regular

Black iPad, white Slim. Preordered on Amazon.

13. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I had ordered gray until I read iLounge's hands on of it and they said it is made with a leather-like polyurethane. So now I'm not worried about the white getting dirty and I will be ordering a white slim to go with my black iPad.

14. nconnella macrumors regular

yeah, they say it's water resistant which makes me think it must have some kind of coating that will protect if from dirt. I was worried about that as well.

15. mikepro macrumors 6502

I don't think the case will come in over a pound. Well, I do see it listed at that weight on their website, but I'm hoping that might be a mistake or the shipping weight. The Viewscape and Truss iPad 2 case are both several ounces under a pound. The Versavu goes over a pound. I just don't see this slim case being that heavy, but who knows. If it is, I may often pop it out of the case.

As far as the hole in back goes, I don't think it is about being pretentious. I mean, it will be obvious enough you have an iPad. (Well, maybe some will think it is a Samsung Galaxy tab, lol). I think it is more an aesthetic design choice. I think it works REALLY well to break up the back, which would otherwise look like a flat slab of monotonous color. With the opening, it provides a nice contrast that looks aesthetically pleasing, and classy with the contrasting stitching. But, that's just my opinion...

16. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I was also really shocked at the listed weight of this "slim" case. Now I am wondering if that is an error. It's what is making me hold off on ordering one. I have no desire to almost double the weight of the iPad. I mentioned in another thread, that my Hubby had their iPad 2 rotating case, which in my opinion, was WAY too heavy. I have a Best Buy down the road, might try and check it out in person, although I doubt they are in stock right now.

17. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I just asked Targus on their FB page and they said its a very easily cleanable rubber composite material. I'm happy that I got the white one.

18. Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

This is also a major concern of mine, and I have sent an email to Targus inquiring about the weight to see whether or not it was an error. If it is not an error and the slim case truly is 1 pound, it may be a deal breaker for me.

19. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Please post back when you receive a reply. If the case indeeds weighs over 1 lb, I'll also be going with another manufacturer. I have the Chinao wheat case, and the Yoobao leather folio. They are both great, lightweight folio style cases, very similar to the original iPad 1 Apple case.

20. raholland macrumors member

raholland

I'm getting a black iPad; and I pre-ordered the charcoal grey case on Amazon.

21. Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

Perfect! :) I just got a reply from Targus and they said:

"It's an error, and the true weight is closer to 10 oz. [They] hope to get it updated Monday."

I'm relieved now to get official confirmation from Targus regarding this.

22. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Charcoal grey or black....can't decide :(

Wish they'd get rid of the white stitching...

23. Payton3485 macrumors member

Black iPad and per-ordered two slim cases, one in bone white and one in red. They're by far the best looking cases available in a "slim" style. I can't wait!

24. Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

I changed my case color to white after learning from the above post that it is washable. It'll be the best of both worlds with the beautiful black iPad contrasting with the beautiful white case.

25. mikepro macrumors 6502

Ahhh, what a relief! Glad to hear this. Over 1 pound for a slim case seemed crazy, unless it was some super dense thick rubber or something.

Keeps this case as one of my top contenders now. Although, recently I've been thinking about getting something like this:
    http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/ipad-bags/scout-for-ipad-shoulder-bag/

which would let me use the iPad naked most of the time, but then give me something to carry it in/use it as a movie stand. Or, possibly a man-purse like this with a smart cover for movie stand:
    http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/ipad-bags/scout-for-ipad-shoulder-bag/

That would be nice to use as a carry-on (not that I fly much), or if I want to just bring the iPad somewhere and not have to constantly have it in my hands.

I'm sort of unsure, as I'm not really sure what sort of use case I'll have with this iPad. If I start using it a lot at work, I may need something like the bag. But, I have no wifi at work and not getting the LTE, so it would be used for reference, storing manuals, drawings, etc. If I use it mostly at home, then my needs would be less.