TCL on AirPlay-2 Enabled TVs: 'We Are Currently Committed to Roku'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. eroslws macrumors 6502

Like TCL, Hyundai and Kia (and to some extent, I'd even say Toyota and Honda on lower end models) FEELS cheap. It's not that the cars (or TV in this case) are bad per se or will perform worse or die faster, everything from the stitching to molding to electronic components are low quality. Even my Vizio P series underperforms and feels cheaper than my mid-range Samsung TV from 5 years ago.

I don't disagree with you on the perception being unwarranted though, they are still good cars, just like how TCL is still a good TV brand, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and suggest products at different price classes are somehow identical in quality.

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I fully expect that AirPlay-2 support will come to Roku devices, anyway, so TCL TVs should support them with a firmware upgrade. I also expect it to come to Amazon Fire streaming devices, as well.

As for Hyundai, I'd put my 2017 Sonata Limited Turbo up against most any other large sedan on the road in terms of style. :cool:

3. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

Yes. Its very Easy to cast to a Roku TV, I do it all the time.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    People walk into Best buy all the time and have no understanding that LG, Samsung and Sony pay for those displays and have their own content streaming to them. The biggest difference in most TVs today is FALD and HDR and you likely wont even see that on the standard feed that best buy runs.

4. MisterK macrumors 6502

The AppleTV already has such a small percentage of the set top box market. Last I heard an estimate was around 4% in the US. I hope this addition of Airplay and iTunes doesn’t signal an exit from the market. I’ve used all the ones that some other people like more and I just find AppleTV far nicer than them all.

5. Someyoungguy macrumors 6502

Reading this whole thread about "too bad" and "shoot, now I can't buy a TCL TV" baffles me. Yes, you can cast to a Roku TV. Airplay != Apple TV, people! Personally, when I got my Roku TCL I put my Apple TV in a drawer.

6. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

I don't think Apple would ever drop the Apple TV in favor of supporting TV manufacturers. The margin is probably very high for the manufacturing cost. Though I do think the third party software might start to die down. For instance Plex is so much better on Apple TV than Fire TV or Roku, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put less resources into development for Apple TV and made the software essentially the same for all streaming boxes. And that would not be good.

7. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

In 2017, TCL market share worldwide was 10.9%. That probably trumps ATV share (which, worldwide, might be a rounding error).

Not clear why TCL would not support AirPlay. They do support ChromeCast. Most likely it's because any casting should be done by Roku not TCL, so it's still a possibility.

8. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

The 5 major producers of TVs in the US (Samsung, LG, Sony, TCL, Vizio) all have there own systems or are using Fire TV or Roku. That doesn't mean that only cheap TVs use Roku. My family has, or has had, all of these TV's, and there are pluses and minus to all of them. Samsung and LG (although LG does have one current model that sells with Roku TV) have their own OS which I personally do not care for, its sluggish in some models and apps are not updated as quickly as Roku or Fire TV's. The Roku OS for our TVs is probably the best although I don't love the remote, but its certainly adequate. Also Roku is praised by most reviewers for its performance, as is TCL so I don't personally listen to most of the people on here. I have 6 TVs, 3 of them are TCL 6 series, and the picture quality and FALD (Full array local dimming) are quite impressive (although there are some things I don't like too). Its scary what people will spout as "fact" on some of these sites.

My Suggestion, for what its worth is go read the reviews- All of these brands have models I wouldn't own and they all have great models too. The Sony X series, LG Oleds, Samsung Qleds, TCL 6 series and Vizio P series are all really good, its more about what you use it for and the content you have access too.

Go to Rtings.com and do your research. I personally really like the Roku OS, but that's a matter of preference.

9. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

Now that all the major brands have committed to Airplay 2 and iTunes, it would be a terrible move on TCL’s part to not offer them as well. I’d be surprised if they don’t announce in the next few months.

Roku as well. When shows by Steven Spielberg or others starring Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Anniston and Steve Carrell aren’t able to be seen on Roku, they will catch hell. Roku’s main feature is that they have every network. If they don’t have them all, they lose their advantage.

10. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Please, no :)

Roku devices are priced very attractively.

Plus it always had Prime video because Apple wasn't there trying to grab another company's revenue source.

And it has lots of off the wall homebrew channels that Apple would never permit.

11. freddiebarnes macrumors newbie

freddiebarnes

TCL must be a good TV then. My 11 year old Hyundai has been great! And their new ones are even better. I guess I’ll have to look at TCL for when I upgrade my bedroom TV. My Samsung TV in my bedroom is about as old as my Hyundai and doesn’t have any smart tv features. (But it too still works well)

12. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

I do the same thing With my Roku TVs all the time plus you can cast easily to my Xboxs or playstations too. Its only a magic trick for "simple" folk.
    This kind of logic scares me....

13. CrzyP macrumors 6502

I was considering TCL, but now that other brands are supporting HomeKit, it is less likely that I go with TCL. Additionally, I want something with Dolby and DTS pass through as well as screen sizes larger than 65 inches. TCL can only pass through Dolby and maxes out at 65 inches.

14. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

If you are going by mostly price, I can't fault your decision.

To me, I look at all the smart TVs that came out and see how their Apps are often not updated to the latest software. I would much rather pay a little more and get a separate streaming box.

My priorities when buying a TV are size, HDMI connections (at least 2), picture quality, and then price.

Picture quality is subjective.

15. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

That says a lot about you.

16. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

Hey bud, it ain't logic. It's truth. I mean, you can look at objective ratings as well. Have fun!
    Like he probably won't be buying a Hyundai.

17. truthertech macrumors 68000

They aren't going to focus on privacy because they are monetizing your private data when you connect your TV to the Internet. Apple has a winning hand here as there is a segment that cares about it and there is growing awareness of the impact of letting all of your private data about you and your family be assembled into these massive dossiers about your life. In the meantime, this is the best of both worlds as you can still have the best of all worlds and use an Apple TV.

18. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

You are mixing up two things: AirPlay and iTunes (or whatever service Apple is going to announce). To watch Spielberg, iTunes is enough. And for that to happen, Apple simply needs to develop iTunes app for Roku (just like any other streamin company).

19. house13um macrumors newbie

Lay off, yo. 2011 Sonata 2.4L with nearly 200k miles and no issues, period, despite the engine recall that exists.

20. tharitm macrumors member

tharitm

it supports MiraCast so its not entirely impossible, I think its more of Roku not wanting to partner with Apple

21. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

I am sorry my comment was more confusion than insult. You have every right to feel that way about TCL and Hyundai. I don't personally own a Hyundai so I cant comment on that.

I will say I am even more confused about these comments.

>>>Hey bud, it ain't logic. It's truth. ?

>>>I mean, you can look at objective ratings as well. ? My point exactly....

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-65r617-2018-roku-tv-review/
    The best picture quality for the money in 2018

https://gizmodo.com/tcl-made-its-terrifically-cheap-4k-tv-even-better-1826948902
    It seemed unbelievable last year, when a handful of TV companies started selling 4K TVs with HDR and Dolby Vision for around $600. TCL’s Roku-powered P-Series was the best of them, and this year, the company is selling an even better version called the 6-Series. The best part? Same price, more features.

Like he probably won't be buying a Hyundai.?? This has something to do with TVs?

22. tharitm macrumors member

tharitm

Thats strange, when I checked it out, it was the other way around.

23. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

Well said, and yet there is a thing called "value" that a lot of people factor in. Many would say that the TCL 6 series offers as good of a picture as the Sony X series and similar products from other manufacturers at at least a few hundred dollars less. I know from first hand experience. That being said there are other things to consider also, The TCL has very low input lag making it great for games, but also has terrible dithering making it bad as a computer monitor. Its about how you use it more than anything, and what you "value" most.

24. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

Of course, they sell it to lower the cost of TVs and sell mp\ore and make more profit. Not surprising.

Right now it is a very small segment, most of the population seems to not care; witness how loyalty cards are popular. Hence there is nothing to push manufacturers to offer anything different than what they currently offer and financial incentives not to change.

Sure, as long as you avoid any 3rd party apps that may collect data if you have to sign in to access their features. I have one and while it may have better privacy protections it's still not tracking free.
    Unfortunately, stores can fiddle with settings to make TVs look great in the store so direct comparisons are difficult.

25. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

Apple isn't perfect, but they certainly are better than most companies when it comes to privacy, imho. If security is a concern then this a very good point for people to pay attention to. For me its not the top issue on TVs, but for others it certainly could be.