TCL on AirPlay-2 Enabled TVs: 'We Are Currently Committed to Roku'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Never really knew about TCL until recently. I figured them for making budget TV's. I never honestly considered them when I purchased my Samsung 4K TV on Black Friday.

Stick with Roku all you want, TCL. It's not going to bother me.

2. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I wouldn't dismiss people who don't know about AirPlay as "simple folk", that's some terrible elitism, since I've demonstrated it to some very smart people. Most people just don't care as much about technology as enthusiasts do, and don't often dig deeper than their typical needs.

3. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

You need to catch up with the times. Things change. Are you still driving Ford because Toyotas are unreliable? I personally bought Sony TV last year but I was aware that TCL had some good stuff especially in mid range. I was shopping for a higher end set so I chose proper TV that happened to be Sony but I was open to considering TCL if they had a set that met my requirements.

4. eroslws macrumors 6502

Yup, in terms of value, TCL can't be beat. I only bought a Vizio P over TCL 6 because I wanted true 120Hz and didn't want to gamble with the panel lottery. I'm going to use an Apple TV regardless.

5. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

Could it be that Apple didn’t offer it to them?

6. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

Bizarre. Maybe they had the samsung messed up or you were looking at a very cheap one
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    You are very confused. Read above about his comment about Hyundais, or just disregard since you don't understand.

As for the rest, you're comparing apples to oranges. I was comparing a samsung display in the 400$ range and a TCL in the 400$ range as I noted in my other post which you must have neglected. You are comparing a 400$ samsung to a $600 TCL.... not even close.

7. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

There are very good reasons to buy a samsung or even other brands, as you would easily see on rtings.com. The biggest difference that you will see between sets on display in a big box store is not the brand but typically the Features like FALD or refresh rate (which is only important in gaming and sports to me) and HDR formats. In order to make all those TVS display something they have to give a feed that meets the lowest common denominator. When you compare these sets to a Sony or Samsung display that has its own feed its not a fair comparison.
    Also, the quality (or lack there of) of the feed on the standard feed is why its hard to compare a 4k tV to a 1080p TV or a fald tv to no dimming or a IPS VS VA or HDR 10 to Dolby vision. The same feed will not show the difference and in some cases will hurt.

Example - IPS panels have a wide viewing angle and may look better in store with the same feed but most IPS panels don't have a lot of the features of VA and don't have good blacks or contrast.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd

They also don't have FALD most of the time which is a game breaker for me. But that's just me, I really like good black levels but don't want to pay for OLED.

8. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

Nothing says "we aren't actually committed" like "we are currently committed."

I mean, either you're committed or your not.

"I am currently committed to my wife." <---- bad

Look for Apple/iTunes to show up on their TV's shortly.

Also Apple will change the name, right? iTunes doesn't sound like it streams movies and TV shows. I guess Netflix sounds like it's only movies.

9. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

No one said price range, You said TCL TVs are Cheap and not as good as Samsung. I gave you links to objective reviews by the most popular TV review sites on the internet and they all say that in that class TCL has a great picture for the price. Now you are saying that I am comparing a TCL TV that is too expensive (I Thought the were Cheap) I personally probably wouldn't buy a TV in the $400 dollar range, but that's just what is important to me. So, you are still not making sense. Is TCL cheap and crappy or Expensive?
    Totally agree, still a little torn on the 120hz. I could care less for movies because I prefer 60hz. But for sports and for games, especially in the future its a big deal. My 65" TCL has 240hz "fake" refresh rate. Its so-so because at its highest levels there is some clipping on the edges that is very distracting. The motion blur is not great either.

10. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Picture quality is subjective and I haven't seen a TV yet where the picture on the demo unit in the stores looks like the picture you get when you get home (some are worse and some are better) :).
    When purchasing TVs, I try to get 120Hz for viewing sports.

11. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

There is your problem - you haven't held on to the cars long enough to assess their quality - longevity in quality counts.

Nowhere close to Honda in 10+ and 20+ year ownership.
    True - the Vizio models displayed at Costco (not Vizio's best lineup) are easily better.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Weirdly enough, having the TV and using AirPlay is better for your privacy than attaching an Apple TV.

13. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Didn't read the headline, did you?

14. tooloud10 macrumors 6502

Sure, for an extra $179.

15. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

I wasn't trying to say that and I apologize if it sounds that way. The point is there are tons of ways to stream or mirror or cast and Airplay is not the only one. It is an easy one but its also extremely easy with youtube tv and my Roku set. I can even use Fake GPS to fool the youtubetv app on my phone and cast to my TV in one step. That way I can live in phoenix and easily watch any other cities local stations and NFL games with out direct TV or even an NFL package

16. tooloud10 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I can argue with that. I've actually had a 55" TCL for a few years now (cheap set for my office) and am shopping for a replacement because an intermittent and mysterious vertical line has appeared right down the middle of the screen. I would be hard pressed to consider another TCL.

As for the people complaining about the Hyundai comparison, they may be better than they were, but they're still a budget brand. Every one I've ever been in (even newer ones) just seem to be a little flimsier and chintzier than the Japanese or Euro brands. That isn't to say there isn't a place for them, just not in my driveway.

17. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Like what is happening to Apple now!

Hey there Tim, take a gander - this will be your legacy.

18. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

“TCL on AirPlay-2 Enabled TVs: 'We Are Currently Committed to Roku'”

The headline implies TCL representatives were asked a question in AirPlay 2 and this is their reply, maybe you didn’t read it?

19. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Roku handles the updates for TCL televisions. I'm not even sure of the point of this article as TCL couldn't add Airplay 2 support if they wanted. Apple will have to work with Roku to add Airplay support and Apple can create a iTunes app for Roku anytime they want.

20. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

I hate the soap opera effect in movies and TV so not a big fan there but its great for sports. Unfortunately, not a lot of sets have true 120hz refresh with the features I want unless you want to spend a lot more money. The other issue is almost no one broadcasts in 120HZ and most game machines are just trying to hit 60HZ. This of course will change but for the time being I was ok with 60hz native.

21. Ralph Dratman, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

Ralph Dratman macrumors newbie

I just today enabled my new Roku TV to perform screen and sound mirroring from my early 2016 12-inch Retina Macbook. You have to buy two Mac apps from the App Store, one for video and one for audio, about $9.00 total for both. The connection takes a bit of fiddling, but the result works as well as Airplay. I agree that a simpler setup would be an advantage for the user, but please don't make it sound like mirroring from a Mac to a Roku TV isn't possible. It definitely is. And even the little black Apple TV box, one of which I also own, is not exactly a joy to get started with.

So far I like the Roku TV, a 49" model which was $279.99 from Amazon. And the simplified remote, which only has Roku controls, is a nice change from the usual far more complicated ones. I can also control the TV from an app on my iPhone, which displays the Roku buttons plus sound volume and iPhone keyboard input.

22. DougLSchneider macrumors newbie

DougLSchneider

Agreed. I think the only confusion is that people (and probably even the person that asked the question) do not understand that TCL probably could add support if they went with their own OS, however all TCL was saying is that they plan on sticking with RokuTV. So what they are really saying is talk to roku. Basically this is not news at all. They are not saying Roku wont support it they are just saying they are using the Roku OS.

But it was a good opportunity for most people on here to bash TCL anyways :)

23. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

TCL...not bad for the money. They do what they can given how much they charge for their panels. Vizio...nothing but problems and complaints from customers. They try to make premium panels with cheap parts and they go out often.

24. F1Fan macrumors member

F1Fan

I see your point, but while my current Genesis is a lease, I've had no problems at all in 3 years, and my Sonata before that I kept for 4 years, also with no problems at all. I can't prove they won't have or wouldn't have had problems at 10 years, but nobody can prove they would have either.

Consider this, JD Powers has given them top awards for quality and dependability (can be verified on JD Powers site). Consumer Reports rates them highly. And the cars built in the last 2-3 years, are much different than the Hyundais built 10 years ago. So time will tell if my car still runs well in 10-15 years, but I'm confident it would fare just as well as a similar Honda or Toyota.

At the end of the day, Hyundai is a massive company (there is a great article in the back of the 2019 Car of the Year issue of Motor Trend about Hyundai. The same issue that awarded the Genesis G70 car of the year) with the resources, and experience to build quality cars. I think in the past it just wasn't a big part of their business model, as they were more price focused, but this has changed. Add to that the influx of top level people coming to Hyundai from companies such as Porsche and Audi leading the design, along with the wealth of brain power in South Korea, and there is no reason why they can't produce high quality cars. There is nothing inherent or innate about Hyundai or South Korea that prevents them from building good cars. That's my point, is that globalization has changed things so much that no one country or group of countries has a monopoly on access to R&D, skilled labor, technology, etc. And certainly South Korea, one of the leading countries in technology, is not hurting for any of those. (Not to mention the design centers in Southern California)

25. ignatius345, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

ignatius345 macrumors 68000