Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why-I-eyes-ya

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
I'm with HSBC (debit card) and made the charge back of £341. It was in my account within 2/3 days..was well pleased. But now my paypal account is in debit for that much and they are threatening me with "a collections agency" should my account stay in negative for more than 130 days. :mad:

So what now?:confused:

I thought that might start happening - have at look at:
http://www.paypalsucks.com/credit-card-waiver.shtml

It basically says that if you issue a chargeback, you are issuing the chargeback against PayPal, not web&net. This goes against PayPal's terms and conditions, so they demand the money back off you. They can't just take it, and they probably won't bother to take you to court because it's debatable weather their terms and conditions are legal - (similar to the whole bank overdraft charges thing)
BUT, you'll lose your PayPal account. This may not be such a bad thing as they're so useless. It is a problem if you plan on using ebay at any point in the future... Or you could always set up a new PayPal account in your partner's name.

I think this only applies to payments with debit cards, not credit cards. But
I'm not sure...

Probably worth calling Trading Standards/Consumer advice to check what the deal is with this.

130 days is quite a long time, it might be worth waiting to see if the Police or PayPal get anywhere with catching this guy before you decide what to do.

Stenat3642

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
Charge backs

As you know I got stung £700 for a Sony Lap top that never arrived. I have told my credit card company, Barclaycard to proceed with a charge back. I have today been sent an email from paypal saying my card provider is claiming this money back. (Sounds great) Although I have read other sites where Paypal try to reclaim this money back from you. What they do is put your account (PayPal) in negative balances and send the debt to a debt collector (Irwin mitchel or another I cannot remember the name for). (Anyone wants to add anything feel free). Basically, they will push for you to pay the debt. Although I have read they can never recover this debt as we have never signed a credit agreement. (All this is from Martins money site. I read a few updates going back a few years and no one has ever been taken to court). Please see the below copied post!.

Please believe me as I had this happen to me several years ago when I got stung by some very nasty people,

Contact the company who are trying to chase you for this money and ask them for your signed credit agreement with paypal,
Give them 7 or 10 working days to respond.
You will receive nothing apart from an email address it is linked to and any other form of rubbish they think will scare you in to paying, If anything at all that is.

For you to owe a company money you would have needed to have borrowed it from them and to do this you would have needed to sign a credit agreement of one sort or another,

Send a letter to the debt collector explaining this with the time limit to respond,

They may send you the odd letter with what they are going to do and you will need to do this by a set date or they will do this and that,
Then within six months they will offer you the chance to clear the debt by paying only half the amount they said you owe,
Ignore it they will go away in the end as there is nothing they can do whatsoever.

Trust me they will do nothing as they have no grounds to claim against you,

Keep a copy of your letter as the debt will do the rounds with the collectors and you may get letters from others over the years I did,

If you do send them the same letter as you sent the first one and it will stop after a while,

In case any one is wondering how I can be so sure about this my brother works for paypal,

Looks like we will get a few calls and letters but if we stick it our we should be ok??? Does this sound right to you all??

blondejon

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
yeah, for the amount of money you are in for id consider it :) its a shame RBS dont seem to offer the same sort of service, I think ill wander down to my branch next time im off work for a chat about a charge back. Good luck with the debt collectors

trollbooster

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
Today I received a letter from Barclaycard telling me that the money has been credited to my account. Thank goodness I didn't go the PayPal route

I feel for you guys, and if I can help in any way I will, but the moral of this story is simply:

DO NOT TRUST PAYPAL.

As it is a form of theft, has anyone contacted their household insurers? Might be covered if you have an all risks policy. Probably not worth claiming for less than £100 but if you have been stuffed for £800....

Stenat3642

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
Good news

All,

Some good news from my credit card company today. They have refunded my payment via Paypal in full.

£700.00 back :) Let's see what Paypal do. Hope you all have some luck getting money back via the charge back process.

blondejon

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
All,

Some good news from my credit card company today. They have refunded my payment via Paypal in full.

£700.00 back :) Let's see what Paypal do. Hope you all have some luck getting money back via the charge back process.

Well done :)

joseph210109

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
Hello all

wow i think i got my money back today .was looking at my bank statment and it says Debit Card Adjustment money in 460.58 .anyone else got there money back from a debit card

blondejon

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
Hello all

wow i think i got my money back today .was looking at my bank statment and it says Debit Card Adjustment money in 460.58 .anyone else got there money back from a debit card

cool, what bank and what steps did you take :)

I see..you got your money back and have happily gone out into the world without telling us how you did it :(

Anyone else got any more news?

Stenat3642

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
update

Re above comment.

I apoke with a friend at the weekend and he said if you ask your bank to complete a charge back on a debit card they should try to do this for you.

Hope you get your money back!

blondejon

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
I spoke to my bank and they said there is no such thing as a debit card charge back, I think your friend was thinking of credit card charge back :0

Got this from companies house business investigation unit

Dear Mr ***

TECH HOUSE UK LIMITED

Thank you for your communication dated 7 0ctober 2008.

Companies Investigation Branch has the responsibility for conducting investigations into companies using the statutory powers of enquiry contained in the Companies Act 1985. When we receive a complaint it goes through a vetting process to decide whether it merits an investigation. I enclose an information sheet on our work.

We will be considering your complaint, taking into account any other information we have, will decide whether to carry out a formal investigation. As part of that consideration we may contact you to seek more information.

Where the company about which you are complaining is subject to formal insolvency proceedings - that is, administrative receivership, administration or creditors voluntary liquidation - you may, separately, wish to consider bringing your complaint to the attention of the responsible Insolvency Practitioner(s).

You will appreciate that for the investigative process to be effective it is essential to maintain confidentiality at all stages. This includes the process whereby we reach decisions regarding the use of our investigation powers. We cannot enter into public debate on the merits of complaints, and we do not confirm or deny whether an investigation of a particular company is taking, or has taken place. Therefore, you will understand that we will not tell you what the outcome of your complaint is. Under most circumstances it is not possible to disclose the results of our investigations beyond a narrow range of other regulators (though if we take action in the public interest there will usually be some publicity). I therefore regret that we would not be able to provide you with any information that we obtained.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely

CIB Admin Support Unit

So they are going to look into it but cant tell me if anything comes of it...

Stenat3642

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
I spoke to my bank and they said there is no such thing as a debit card charge back, I think your friend was thinking of credit card charge back :0

Got this from companies house business investigation unit

Dear Mr ***

TECH HOUSE UK LIMITED

Thank you for your communication dated 7 0ctober 2008.

Companies Investigation Branch has the responsibility for conducting investigations into companies using the statutory powers of enquiry contained in the Companies Act 1985. When we receive a complaint it goes through a vetting process to decide whether it merits an investigation. I enclose an information sheet on our work.

We will be considering your complaint, taking into account any other information we have, will decide whether to carry out a formal investigation. As part of that consideration we may contact you to seek more information.

Where the company about which you are complaining is subject to formal insolvency proceedings - that is, administrative receivership, administration or creditors voluntary liquidation - you may, separately, wish to consider bringing your complaint to the attention of the responsible Insolvency Practitioner(s).

You will appreciate that for the investigative process to be effective it is essential to maintain confidentiality at all stages. This includes the process whereby we reach decisions regarding the use of our investigation powers. We cannot enter into public debate on the merits of complaints, and we do not confirm or deny whether an investigation of a particular company is taking, or has taken place. Therefore, you will understand that we will not tell you what the outcome of your complaint is. Under most circumstances it is not possible to disclose the results of our investigations beyond a narrow range of other regulators (though if we take action in the public interest there will usually be some publicity). I therefore regret that we would not be able to provide you with any information that we obtained.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely

CIB Admin Support Unit

So they are going to look into it but cant tell me if anything comes of it...

Visa Debit card pal..... Sorry I missed the Visa part....

Stenat3642

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1195255&debit+card+ch

People on Martin's Money tips have also got refunds from debit card payments. What bank are you with?

blondejon

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
Royal Bank of Scotland. Apparently being the UKs biggest bank means you dont have to know about things like charge backs. Ill keep pushing them and see what happens.

Oh and its a SOLO card not a VISA debit card :(

Stenat3642

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
Royal Bank of Scotland. Apparently being the UKs biggest bank means you dont have to know about things like charge backs. Ill keep pushing them and see what happens.

Oh and its a SOLO card not a VISA debit card :(

Hope you get your money back... Cannot find anything about Solo cards... I think I going to move away from RBS if this is the service and support you get....

blondejon

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
Maestro debit card

Under Maestro UK rules, UK cardholders don't have the right to a refund if a company fails to deliver the goods or services they have paid for.

In a statement, Maestro told us:

"The cardholder's bank is not obliged under both the Maestro domestic rules and UK law to refund the cost of those goods/services [which aren't delivered]."

SOLO is run by Maestro :(

djkylej

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
Got my money back from EGG (Visa) after recording my dispute.

Got this from paypal:

Dear xxxxxxxxx,

We recently received notice from your credit card company that you filed a chargeback stating that you did not receive merchandise you paid for.

Please review the details of the disputed transaction below and the steps for what to do next.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details

Seller's Name: WEB&NET LTD
Seller's Email: zahid_shuja@yahoo.com
Seller's Transaction ID: 6BH00554MR489950M

Transaction Date: 11 Sep 2008
Transaction Amount: -481.73 GBPInvoice ID: 1407 Case no.: PP-573-769-854

Your Transaction ID: 4NH262951U1011056

What to Do Next:

If you received the merchandise after filing the chargeback or mistakenly initiated this chargeback, please follow the steps below to cancel it:
1. Log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Centre.
2. On the Transaction Disputes page, select Open Disputes from the drop-down menu and locate your transaction.
3. Click the Cancel button under the Action column for your transaction.
4. On the Chargeback Details page, click the Cancel Chargeback button.
5. Complete the steps to confirm that you are cancelling this chargeback.

If you wish to continue with this chargeback, no further actions are required by you at this time.
Due Dates

None

Other Details

We appreciate your business, and thank you for your patience and cooperation in helping us with this matter.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal
Chargeback Department

So I guess now it's wait and see if Paypal try to get the money out of me.

I did log into paypal today however and my account balance was at 0, not in the negative as one of the other guys on here.

blondejon

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
well done :)

I had to work a load of over time to earn the money back that they swindled from me. The police say there is little they can do because its a small amount :(

launter

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2007
Anyone contacted watchdog ?

Anyone contacted watchdog ? The police are unlikely to be bothered with it , a journalist might

heathmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
well done :)

I had to work a load of over time to earn the money back that they swindled from me. The police say there is little they can do because its a small amount :(

You might want to direct the police in the direction of this individual:

Zahid Shuja
48B Bromar Road
London
SE5 8DL

This is the person linked to the email on the paypal account used for techhouse payments.

Or maybe send him a letter yourself?

blondejon

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
interesting, If any one lives in london can they pop round and see if the address is real and give him a slap :)

I just went to the daily mirror investigates site and told them about the scam :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.