temp thread 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I pre-ordered a 3GS and it came to me around noon on launch day via either UPS or FedEx. No lines. No waiting. No problem. Why someone would wait in line when that option is there is a little confusing.

2. Espo macrumors 6502

Because some of us have an iPhone 3G that has been abused and there is no time to waste...:D

Actually, some people decide to camp out because they're:

1. Impatient (like I am)
    2. The idea and act of waiting on-line for a product they've waited for for a year (me) is fun.
    3. Some people won't be home to get the Fed-Ex shipment, so they'd rather have the phone early rather than wait the whole day.

3. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I have to go out of town at 11 that day so that's not an option for me. If I didn't have to go anywhere, I'd probably just have it sent to me too. Plus, it's tons of fun camping out and talking with other iPhone fans.

4. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I pre-ordered my iPhone 3gs and Had it delivered to my AT&T store in town, arrived at 6am, was 3rd in line & was out of the store at 7:15 am :)

When the original iPhone launched there were over 150 people in the line for the phone, I got in the line at like 3pm ( I was 50th in line), store opened at 6pm?

I didn't get the 3g, but I drove by in the morning, and sure enough there was about 30 in the line 1hour before opening.

I was really surprised at the lack of a line for the 3gs... When the doors opened at 7am, there were only about 25 min line total.

5. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

And I thought *I* had issues!

Good God, it's a PHONE. And it can be shipped to your door.

To each his own I guess, but wow.

6. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

For the iPhone 3G launch, I went to an AT&T store and waited 10 hours in line (camped out) and they sold out before I could get one. I immediately went to the Apple store and waited in line for an additional 5 hours before I got mine. 15 hours of waiting in line was hell. But worth it after I got my 3G. My only suggestion would be to use the bathroom before getting in line in case you're not able to leave the line to do so. :apple:

Needless to say, I'm heading straight to the Apple store this time around.

7. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Ah, great minds! I camped out for a Wii, but that was because there weren't going to be enough to satisfy demand. I didn't see them in a store for at least six months after that.

8. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

I wish I had so much free time... to waste my day on that.... Why cant you just preorder it? I bet this way you can get it even faster. FedEx Usually comes around 10:00-13:00

9. krnboy503 macrumors regular

I might be at Washington Square IF the AT&T store in my area (Portland) has 0 people in line by 12-2am. I know washington square will determine what time they will open the mall for the event. (They let mall walkers inside at 5-6am) We should get in contact when the time comes :)

10. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

I'm bringing my chair, sleeping bag, charged iPad loaded with movies and apps. Uhhh something to eat and drink I suppose. Probably a few other items (iPhone). I'll get to the apple store in montvale, nj around 10 pm

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I've been debating since both few times Ive been to my AT&T store they were practically dead. I might try it as maybe there won't be too big of a line, but I wouldn't mind preordering.

12. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

I've never camped out, but this time i really am thinking about going there around 12 or 1 in the morning and getting a feel on how crowded they are. I am hoping I can talk a few of my friends into going and getting an iPhone4 themselves so I have some familiar faces with me in line.

13. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

What time will you be showing up at your Apple store on the 24th?

I reserved the 32gb for in store pick up on the 24th at my local Apple store. Doors will be open at 7:00 am. I'm thinking I will try to be there for 6:30 or so and hope for the best. This is my first time reserving an Apple product and picking up at store on release day so I don't know what to expect. What have I done! lol Hope I don't regret not doing the home delivery. Will be nice having the phone early that morning though. :D

For those that have done this before...what has your experience been like? What time did you arrive and walk out of store with phone...etc

14. markel253 macrumors regular

This will be the first time for me as well. Probably do the same as you since I have the phone reserved.

15. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

in that case you WILL NOT be getting an iphone just to let you know.. people camp out starting 10pm the night before

16. invisible777 macrumors member

For iPhone 3G I didn't reserve, walked in and out of an Apple store in 20 minutes at 3PM on launch day.

It's all hype.

17. markel253 macrumors regular

If you have reserved - you can walk in any time before they close on launch day and your phone will be there waiting for you - even if they had sold out all available phones during the day.

Also it depends on the store and where it is located. Mall stores have security issues where you won't be allowed into the mall until a certain time. Also, not all stores will have an overnight line.

18. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

You can't scare me. :p

19. ce242 macrumors newbie

Contact your local apple store before you go nuts and start camping the store :)

Mine have said that there will be one with my name on it, and it will not under any circumstances be given to anyone else. If I do not turn up by the end of the day it will be released for sale the next day.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

What? Not true. He'll get his phone regardless of how soon anybody else camps out. And it also depends on the store. Some have much fewer campers than others.

21. Mosco macrumors regular

Yeah, if you reserve online, no need to camp out. They aren't going to sell yours.

22. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Guess it depends on the Apple store/volumes. Majority of Apple stores will have enough Iphones to go around.

23. markel253 macrumors regular

You sure it isn't 9:30 PM? or 11:00 PM?

10:00 PM ... really?

You know this to be a constant at every Apple Store there is? :rolleyes:

24. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Back in April, I reserved my WiFi-only iPad, but I got up very early that morning anyway and headed on over to the Apple store. There were already a few people in each line (one line for those who were picking up reserved iPads and one line for those who had no reservations). That was at something like a little after 6:00 AM. By the time the store was ready to open there were quite a few people in both lines. It was fun to be there early in order to see the unveiling of the new iPad when the employees removed the drapes from the store windows.

I probably will do the same thing again for the iPhone -- go and get in line very early. My Apple store is in a mall and on Apple launch days they have arrangements with Security so that there is one entrance unlocked very early in preparation for people who are arriving before the crack of dawn.....

By the way, they don't put your name on a particular box. They stack the boxes in the Genius Bar area and prior to store opening, an employee goes to each person in the reserved line to check with them to be sure they've placed a reserve and on which model/capacity. When going into the store, the customer then connects with an employee, they again tell the employee which iPhone they want, the employee grabs a box from the appropriate stack and that's it. Word of caution here, though: it is a good idea to look at the info on the box yourself to be doubly sure that it is the correct capacity. One of my friends was so excited on Launch Day when she was getting her iPad that she didn't notice until she had gotten home that the employee had given her a 32 GB rather than the 64 GB that she'd wanted.

It's fun on Launch Day, and I'm already looking forward to it! This will be my 4th iPhone. I've been there each Launch Day, so of course I wouldn't miss this one!

25. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

That's just not true. For the 3G launch I showed up at 10am at the King of Prussia Mall (huge apple store draw) and I walked away with an iPhone 6 hours later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.