Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Here's an Intel version for hooktube. Built for Snow Leopard, but should work on 10.7/10.8/10.9 as well. Videos play in 720p by default, and it's also capable of playing in full screen. Clicking the little menu box next to the hooktube logo will bring up the search box. (Download button not working correctly in this release)

Cheers

Screen shot 2018-02-25 at 1.26.47 AM.png

Attachments

• HookTubeX.zip
    23.9 KB · Views: 495

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yeah, i got a little bored. So here's another player built on snow leopard. It'll run on 10.6 through 10.11. It loosely resembles SMTube in appearance, but has no options for external players. It plays in 720p by default if you choose the tonvid video links, or 360p if you choose the "play on youtube" option. The tonvid videos can also play in full screen while "play on youtube" can not.

Cheers

Screen shot 2018-03-03 at 8.51.22 PM.png

Attachments

• YewTube.zip
    70.2 KB · Views: 475

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Here's an Intel version for hooktube. Built for Snow Leopard, but should work on 10.7/10.8/10.9 as well. Videos play in 720p by default, and it's also capable of playing in full screen. Clicking the little menu box next to the hooktube logo will bring up the search box. (Download button not working correctly in this release)

Cheers

View attachment 752402

Unfortunately, HookTube is all but dead. They removed the video download links (mp3 only now) and limited its usefulness.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Not sure how I missed this project originally. Saw it mentioned in another thread and decided to give it a try. This is a fantastic package for "download-and-go" YouTube watching on Leopard. Awesome work @wicknix!

Thanks. The nice thing besides its small size is that it should always work. It's just a webkit wrapper faking a mobile device. Everytime youtube "changes" something the other players usually quit working until they are updated. I doubt mobile devices will ever run in to that issue.

Cheers

Reactions: Dronecatcher

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
We now have another option for Tiger, Leopard, and also Snow Leopard for YouTube.

Bugs: Video may glitch for the first 2-5 seconds per clip before smoothing out.
Fixed: Having to click the video thumbnail twice is resolved in both the Leopard and Tiger app.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the Leopard and Tiger versions right clicking on the "whitespace" of background will bring up a forward/back/reload dialog. Leopard version has the ability to change from 720p/360p/240p. Click the Gear icon on the video screen and select 240p if you have playback issues. For Tiger click the HD logo to enable 240p. 360p is the default setting for both versions.

I also built a similar version for Snow Leopard. One advantage to this version is it has the ability to run in full screen mode. Grab the TenFiveTube-SL.zip.

Tiger users grab TenFourTube.zip / Leopard users TenFiveTube.zip

NOTE: Leopard users will need QuickTime 7.7 for optimal performance.

Cheers.

EDIT: Added YewTube as another option for 10.5. May work on 10.4 also, but not tested.

Just tried the Snow Leopard version on my 2006 24" iMac running OS X Mountain Lion. The 720p limitation makes it a no-go for regular videos (Kodi with the YouTube add-on can play 1080p/30 just fine), but for 1080p streams it works great at full quality.

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Added another one. It's basically yewtube slightly resized with no visible controls for a cleaner look. Right click on the "dark gray" border around the video, or in any "white space" on the main page to get forward/back/reload controls. Works with 10.4/10.5. Picture added to first post in the thread.

Cheers

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
TigerTube is not showing any picture with the quality on "Normal", although the sound is there.

I believe the same effect happens on YewTube.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@wicknix, I just had a thought.

On a whim, I tried searching the Web with YewTube's URL bar (DuckDuckGo), and it's far faster (and less buggy) than Arctic Fox on a G3. It's the fastest browser by far. Given that and its UI minimalism, it's the total OS X equivalent to Surf. I could live on my B/W with this kind of speed. Unfortunately, most websites visited come back with "secure connection failed", and "bad/untrusted server certificate", making browsing a mere novelty in its current state.

So here is a suggestion to you, one I believe with enormous potential. As a lighthearted, minimal effort side-project, YewTube's internals can be spruced up and then rebranded as a minimalistic Web Browser, perhaps named after something feather-related. (hence the icon) It would then be the de-facto casual Internet browser for G3 machines running Tiger.

And since YewTube and TigerTUBE are essentially the same application (with different interfaces), this new browser wouldn't even have any trouble at all playing YouTube videos in-browser.

I really think this should be pursued.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
TenFourTube, TigerTube, and YewTube have all been broken yet again by YouTube's ever thwarting APIs.

Instead of going to the old mobile phone version of the site, it points you to the modern smartphone variant designed for HTML5 playback.

I think YouTube is in agreements with Apple to make viewing on old systems as difficult as they can possibly make it in order to drive sales of new devices up.

They are truly the bane of our existence. Them, and lazy web developers making bloated websites because everyone and their dog only ever browses the Web on their iPhone X, so what does it matter anyway?

Curse them all...

Reactions: dextructor

backyardvoodoo

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2016
The only thing that matters is the availability of the latest youtube-dl version for our Macs. While it's there the rest will follow.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I definitely can't comment on those (G3/early G4). But what I can say is that the performance gain of TFFB over regular TFF is enormous! Assuming you didn't compare the two side-by-side yet, I do say "please, do it".

I can't test on anything lower than the Mac mini G4 anymore (because that and the Quad are all I have), so I can't compare the other options with TFFB directly and be able to tell how big the difference is. If you and others can, though, that could be informative. A complete "benchmark" of running YouTube on those machines with each and every option, and how big the gap is.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
TenFourTube, TigerTube, and YewTube have all been broken yet again by YouTube's ever thwarting APIs.

Instead of going to the old mobile phone version of the site, it points you to the modern smartphone variant designed for HTML5 playback.

I think YouTube is in agreements with Apple to make viewing on old systems as difficult as they can possibly make it in order to drive sales of new devices up.

They are truly the bane of our existence. Them, and lazy web developers making bloated websites because everyone and their dog only ever browses the Web on their iPhone X, so what does it matter anyway?

Curse them all...
I thought TenFourTube was supposed to load the modern YouTube mobile website?
Take a look, this video was posted in 2018 and it ran decent on a G3

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I thought TenFourTube was supposed to load the modern YouTube mobile website?
Take a look, this video was posted in 2018 and it ran decent on a G3

TenFourTube and the rest are supposed to load the legacy Nokia mobile website, the one that plays videos in system video players, not embedded HTML5 windows. The modern smartphone websites give a static, empty black box where the video is supposed to be, breaking the applications.

Yes, we all know iMac G3s can (used to) play YouTube videos one way or another. Give it a rest.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
TenFourTube and the rest are supposed to load the legacy Nokia mobile website, the one that plays videos in system video players, not embedded HTML5 windows. The modern smartphone websites give a static, empty black box where the video is supposed to be, breaking the applications.

Yes, we all know iMac G3s can (used to) play YouTube videos one way or another. Give it a rest.
Then why was TenFourTube (as seen in the video) not playing in the Nokia website? It was loading the modern m.youtube.com website...
and the video did play. what was going on in that video?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.