TenFourFox FPR1 is Here!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AmazingHenry, Jul 20, 2017.

?

Is TenFourFox FPR1...

1. Faster?

20.0%
  2. Same as 45?

60.0%
  3. Slower?

20.0%
  1. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Was reading through viva PowerPC's "world" page (which combines a bunch of PPC news sites into one feed) and I found out that TenFourFox FPR (Feature Parity Release) 1 is here and available for download!

So, following my "TenFourFox 45 is Here" thread, here's a discussion thread on it. Is it faster, slower, or about the same? Any annoyances you've found? Any features you love? Post all about it here!

There's also a poll up there ^ where you can vote on whether FPR1 was faster, slower, or the same for you.

I'll be trying it out on my iMac G4 soon.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

3. Lastic macrumors 6502

My question will it support Google Widevine aka HTML5 DRM playback ala Netflix ?

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If it does, make sure you have a stock install or at least none of my tweaks applied.

I've disabled all the media stuff for faster browsing.

5. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

If you're talking about your 700MHz iMac, do yourself a favour and use LWK; it's painful to use even on a 1GHz G4 with 1MB L3

I'm a Macrumors 6502 now!! :)

6. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I have to agree on fairly slow TFF's lately, but it's more due to the nature of the Internet (all sorts of junk on every site) rather than TFF itself. Having a mobile user agent is almost essential.

7. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Yeah, I'm using LWK as my main browser. I only downloaded TFF to test it out.

8. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

OOOOH that explains why HTML5 players don’t work in TFF when they clearly should. That makes much more sense now. Well, as long as it speeds up browsing, I don’t mind using something else to watch videos, or use PPCMediaCenter.

9. Lastic, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

Lastic macrumors 6502

Cosign with Gamer9430 , wasn't aware of that but I'm using Hack5190's user.js .
    Does it also include these tweaks ?

I'll try without it ,got a subscription to Magine.tv which have now switched from Silverlight to HTML5 which works on my MBp but didn't in TFF FPR1.

Doesn't work, can anybody with a Netflix account try on a clean install non-tweaked TFF FPR1 ?

10. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

After half a year at the moment I'm at my parents home and my 1ghz eMac is here but all the other macs are in my student's home. I always used TFF on the eMac and it felt really slow, but after upgrading to FPR1 I can use it for browsing again! FPR1 is definitely faster! ;)

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, Hack's tweaks are based off mine. Basically, they are my tweaks without my junk preferences for addons most people don't have or use. Some of the first changes I made were to disable media stuff I didn't use because my usage for T4Fx is browsing not media and at the time a lot of sites had video that instantly started playing when you loaded a page. Dropped T4Fx to it's knees. Disabling that made it much easier to load and read.