Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is currently testing visionOS 1.1, the first major update to the visionOS operating system that runs on the Vision Pro. visionOS 1.1 updates Personas, and multiple reports suggest the software makes Personas look better than before. We thought we'd take a closer look at Personas in visionOS 1.1, comparing the update to the prior visionOS 1.0.2 software.

Personas are a key feature on the Vision Pro, representing the user in video calls on FaceTime, Zoom, and other platforms. Personas are a digital representation of the Vision Pro wearer, and are captured using the headset itself. With the Vision Pro, the wearer takes a 3D facial scan that captures their facial structure, expressions, hand movements, and more. Apple describes a Persona as an "authentic spatial representation" of a person.

Apple released Personas in a beta capacity, and it's not hard to see why with the Personas that have been shared on the initial versions of the visionOS software. Reviewers have called personas "deeply weird," "deep in the uncanny valley," "ridiculous," and "frightening."

With visionOS 1.1, Personas have more natural looking eyes, skin tone improvements, and more detail that adds realism, though Apple's scanning feature still struggles with hair.

Most Personas are noticeably better with the 1.1 update, but Apple still needs to do a lot of work to eliminate the otherworldly, unnatural vibe that the virtual representations give off. visionOS 1.1 is available to developers in beta right now, and it will likely see a launch in March alongside iOS 17.4.

The update also adds Contact Key Verification, support for resetting the headset without a computer, and support for mobile device management.

Article Link: Testing Improved Vision Pro Personas in visionOS 1.1

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Maybe it's supposed to look like that.

62b5471d0b9606fc5c6d9f14_Christina Ricci.jpg

screen_shot_2022-04-11_at_1.57.17_pm.png

m.x

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
I can't stop thinking that this may be the most genuine reaction I've ever witnessed on this site. I think I would react the same way when I get the first view of my persona.

As @coolfactor already said, Dan, don't be too hard on yourself. It's really awesome that you make all the content and that you show us your reactions unfiltered! And I can relate much more to your reactions than to the actors in Apples glossy PR materials.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Be careful what you wish for. When it gets too life like, no one will like it. A lot easier to criticise when it’s trying to be perfect. They’ll say the teeth are too white or that freckle looks weird or whatever. I’d rather have a caricature. It’d be nice if the hair reacted to movements but that’ll come.

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
This quick update shows me that, even with years and years of preparations, some of the most talented people in their respective fields, and the resources of the most valuable company in the world, you can still miss deadlines.

I take some comfort in that.

I hope Apple keeps iterating quickly on the software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.