Thank You The The New iPad - Who Knew The iPad 1 Was So Awful?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by boltjames, Mar 17, 2012.

1. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

It's like I've graduated from a tricycle to a sportcar.

The thing is so fast it's ridiculous, the retina display is to die for, the colors are so vivid, apps launch much quicker, and Safari is lightning-quick. My iPad 1 is a mere cafeteria tray after this.

Greatest mobile device, ever.

BJ

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

iPad 1 still goes for like 250 dollars on craiglist...

Meanwhile, you can iPad 2 refurbished for like 349 dollars...

Why would anyone still have iPad 1? Never.

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

5. scarred macrumors 6502a

I am still going to list my gen 1, but ya... I'm wondering who would buy it. The difference is amazing but I guess it is 'what you know'.

I briefly thought of keeping it, but you just can't go back after seeing a gen three.

6. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

Mine is the 64GB AT&T 3G version which appears to still command $499 or so, I guess for that type of storage capacity and iOS 5 compatibility it's worth it to those who won't spend $829 for the new version.

BJ

7. Gatecitybee macrumors member

Gatecitybee

I sold my iPad 1 to a friend and handed it over yesterday. When he came to get it he wanted to see the new one and I made up some stuff about how I had it in the back charging. I didn't want him to see the difference and decide he'd rather pay the full freight for a new one.

8. BBman macrumors member

How do you sleep at night?:D

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

The iPad one could still make a good machine for an elderly person to read their news and e-mail, maybe even Skype chat (voice only of course, since it has no camera).

I am yet to see many titles on the App store that no longer support the original iPad, so it should be useful for some time to come.

I think I would pick one up for $150 or so if I can get it that low, just to have an iPad for traveling (which I wouldn't care as much if it got destroyed or broken).

If I owned some sort of retail establishment, such as a restaurant, I'd buy a bunch of original iPads and use them as menus at each table.

10. yashi macrumors member

I made the same upgrade. The speed alone has been enough to make me go from getting up and going to my desk to use the computer, to just reaching for the iPad. iPad 1 was just too slow to use for most things for me.

11. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

12. Gatecitybee macrumors member

Gatecitybee

Like a freakin' baby!

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

:D Glad you liked it.

Maybe someone who speaks German could translate it for us!

14. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

This isn't helping me.... restraint, must show restraint, i NEED a MBA for school work. If i my school supported me doing anything on the iPad i would leap...

Glad to hear it is as good as an upgrade i thought it would be!!!

15. Tones2 macrumors 65816

My iPad 1 that I just gave away had a MUCH better cool blue color gamet than the iPad 2 or iPad 3 and was the brightest at full brightness. But it's friggin' SLOW. Not much different otherwise, but that speed was a big deal. I still prefer it's screen over even the iPad 3 because the cool blue vs putrid yellow is a bigger deal to me than the retina is.

Tony

16. batotman macrumors 6502

On ios5 the iPad 1 was awful. Like beat it with a hammer bad, crashing constantly. After I went back to 4.3.5. it was fine. And the web doesn't look pixelated on it. And I don't worry about dropping it in the bathtub or anything. And I let the kids play with it. See, some positives! :D

17. magicbrain macrumors regular

whatev ... just do hard reset on iPad 1 ... 5-10% difference at most, when it comes to regular browsing, etc

ipad 1 cpu? 1ghz, ipad 3? .... 1ghz ... just sayin

18. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

HA. I haven't been able to upgrade to 5 on mine because i'm out of disk space on my iTunes computer. It's been a bad dream - but as of the final I took yesterday i'm on SPRING BREAK for 2 weeks and fixing iTunes is my first task.

I ran out of disk space on it this morning - it was loads faster after I deleted a bunch of games :D

19. batotman macrumors 6502

Avoid iOS 5 on it like the plague. The memory is insufficient. Large thread on the apple site about it. Thankfully I was jailbroken and save my shsh blobs so I could revert back. Those on that forum don't appear to have any way to go back.

20. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'll avoid buying an iPad 1 unless you just HAVE to have it. Pay $350 for a refund iPad 2 and save yourself an hassle.

21. nickn macrumors 6502

The iPad 1 was fine before apple destroyed it. iOS3 ran great for me. Everything was fast, and there were almost no crashes. Then ios4 came, which was the beginning. That was foreshadowed by the extreme performance hit taken by ios5 though. My iPad was is now mostly unusable. Apps such as safari crash about every five minutes, and the whole experience just sucks. Of course stupid apple will not let people downgrade, so I am stuck with this crippled piece of garbage. I assume that is what they want though, so that I feel compelled to buy a new iPad. I am done with their games. I will not only not be buying a new iPad, but I am done with their computers as well. I don't have to take this anymore.

22. big samm macrumors 65816

23. nickn macrumors 6502

Do not update to iOS5!!!!!!!!!! You will regret it forever. Most apps still work on 4, so there is no real need to "update". If you do "update" everything will crash, and you will not have any working apps.

24. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I agree, its a lot less stressful to be handling a device that isn't as expensive as the newest iPad.

Though one thing about the new iPad is that the web does not look pixelated. The images may be a bit soft in some cases, but for the most part it looks just fine. The difference is certainly not big enough to be distracting for me.

25. magicbrain macrumors regular

"faster" #fail vid :)

don't get me wrong, display IS gorgeous, but real life diff? not much
    ( i'm about to do a vid comparison between 1 & 3 :)